Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon L110 and Jaunty CPU Scaling Gateway LT3103u
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/02/2009 02:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/02/2009 02:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
scudder

I just purchased a gateway LT3103u "netbook". It has an Athlon 64 L110 with ATI 1270, 2G ram. Ive installed Jaunty but cant get CPU Scaling. The Pheonix bios seems to be fairly limited - no cool and quiet or other settings. The video card works fine for me with the open source drivers.

So far the computer is great but Ubuntu amd64 just chews through the battery... about half the time I have in Vista. Not being a windoze guy I would really like cpu scaling to work. Gateway (I know, I know - but I wanted the larger screen and wanted to support AMD) doesnt have any bios updates at the moment and cant tell if any are planned or what the future versions features will be. I keep the screen dimmed etc to conserve FWIW.

Any help would be appreciated. I didnt see much on it here or on the Ubuntu forums.

Output of cpufreq-info
analyzing CPU 0:
no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU

tried installing cpufrequtils sysfsutils and could not modprobe powernow_k8 or the generic driver

Edited: 07/02/2009 at 03:18 PM by scudder
 07/05/2009 12:31 AM

Author Icon
fixture

Oh, snap! Scudder, please keep on trying. I am very interested in this notebook. BTW, how is that trackpad? What multitouch things can you do on it? How are the buttons? I am asking because I have always been a trackpoint guy. Thanks,

Fixture
 07/18/2009 06:08 PM

Author Icon
scudder

Looks like we are out of luck fixture. According to the comments on Netbooktech.com (look for the review of this system and scroll down to the comments) powernow is not enabled on the processor. I had hoped it would be a bios issue. Some have reported success underclocking with RMclock to decrease temp and improve battery life (note: windows only).

As for the trackpad... its pretty good! pinch etc work and your usual horizontal and vertical scroll. I generally use the keyboard for most things but pointing so I may not be the best person to ask.
 08/09/2009 08:19 AM

Author Icon
petersra

Scudder,

I just puchased the LT3103u "netbook". I attached an external USB DVD reader and tried to load the Jaunty 9.04 live CD and got many errors. Tried the Intel and AMD versions of the .iso. with no luck

How did you get Jaunty to install?

ROb
 08/09/2009 07:45 PM

Author Icon
scudder

Rob,
I dont recall having any problems with the installation. I no longer have the netbook so I cant tell you what I did exactly. Im pretty sure I used the 64bit version though. Have you checked the MD5 checksum? You may just have a bad download. What kind of errors exactly? The ubuntu community forums are pretty helpful if you havent already been there. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
 03/14/2011 05:32 PM

Author Icon
fenofonts
Lurker

A year and a half later....

I have Ubuntu 10.10 'Maverick' and am experiencing the same problem Scudder mentioned above. I believe it is due to the lack of cool and quiet BIOS support. Has anyone ever managed to scale this on Ubuntu?

I have asked the same question on the Ubuntu forums, with no luck.
 03/16/2011 06:03 AM

Author Icon
fenofonts
Lurker

Hi again, I have found a solution to the problem by installing the custom BIOS ROM mentioned by Cubicsiler in this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showth...php?t=1471701&page=6).

Now I have CPU scaling and solved all the graphics bugs on my AMD L110 CPU with ATI X1270 GPU.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information