AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to control Ati fan speed under Linux?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/26/2009 03:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/26/2009 03:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tripleace46
Fanboi

For some odd reason i cannot control the fan speed on my 4850 under ubuntu 9.10 no matter what i try. I have found various guides on the web showing different ways of doing it, but none of them work for me. is there a program to simplify this or do i have to manually configure it myself? I have tried using aticonfig to no avail.
 01/23/2010 05:06 AM

Author Icon
Bruners

I made this script in my zsh shell alias file and it works like a charm

simply fans 40 sets the fan to 40%, just fans and it sets it to auto

Code:
fans() {
    if [ $1 ] ; then
        aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-gettemperature | tail -n1 | awk '{print "Current temp: " $5}' ;
        aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 $1" ;
    else
        aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-gettemperature | tail -n1 | awk '{print "Current temp: " $5}' ;  
        aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 auto" ;
    fi 
}
 03/03/2010 02:54 AM

Author Icon
sam.reader

Couldn't we get any programs to do this job so that we don't blow up our chip. If you have a gigabyte motherboard it will be far easier to control the fan speed right from the bios. What kind of motherboard do you have? Pm me about it and i will try to do some search on it.

-------------------------
Am the King!!!
Tomcat Linux
Tomcat Configuration
Tomcat Logging
 03/07/2010 10:39 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: tripleace46

For some odd reason i cannot control the fan speed on my 4850 under ubuntu 9.10 no matter what i try. I have found various guides on the web showing different ways of doing it, but none of them work for me. is there a program to simplify this or do i have to manually configure it myself? I have tried using aticonfig to no avail.

Are you using the "restricted" fglrx drivers for your card? And is the driver loaded and working? Ubuntu 9.10 uses the open-source xorg-video-radeon driver by default, which does not work with aticonfig.

Also, some cards do not allow the fan speed to be modified. I had a friend's PowerColor HD 3850 for a while and the fan always ran at 100% due to the manufacturer's design choices. Aticonfig could "set" the fan speed in the aticonfig display, but the fan always ran at 100%. Fortunately good quiet GPU coolers aren't that expensive. I have an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1rev2 that kept that card below 50 C at full load, and it cost about $20. The only downside is that the cooler is rather large. A Zalman VF900 would be a good smaller cooler for that GPU.

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information