AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: how to install the catalyst driver on Kubuntu (Linux) using a radeon hd 5 series card
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/14/2010 11:43 AM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/14/2010 11:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kubuntu
Lurker

Posts: 4
Joined: 07/14/2010

Hello,

I want to buy an new pc with a radeon hd 5750 or 5670, but I use Linux, too. I've read, that the open source driver don't support this cards today. But there's only this driver preinstalled. So how is it posible to install the Catalyst driver? Do I need another card for installing the driver (I've none and there is no IGP), or runs for example the terminal without the driver? What's with the vesa mode?
 07/14/2010 01:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

Posts: 8018
Joined: 11/11/2008

Originally posted by: kubuntu

Hello,



I want to buy an new pc with a radeon hd 5750 or 5670, but I use Linux, too. I've read, that the open source driver don't support this cards today. But there's only this driver preinstalled. So how is it posible to install the Catalyst driver? Do I need another card for installing the driver (I've none and there is no IGP), or runs for example the terminal without the driver? What's with the vesa mode?


once ubuntu is installed, your GPU will be detected.

In the driver manager you will see ATI display driver has not been activated. Just click activate, restart and wala done.

FYI, for a free OS the Ubuntu ultimate edition I found to be quite decent.

-------------------------
AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)
 07/14/2010 03:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kubuntu
Lurker

Posts: 4
Joined: 07/14/2010

That means, that there is a (partly) working open source driver?
 07/14/2010 04:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

Posts: 8018
Joined: 11/11/2008

Originally posted by: kubuntu

That means, that there is a (partly) working open source driver?


No fully working suite with CCC even.

-------------------------
AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)
 07/14/2010 05:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kubuntu
Lurker

Posts: 4
Joined: 07/14/2010

I know for example that you can only use two monitors instead of three, but that's no problem. Office, Compositing, OpenGL (for example with Blender) and videoacceleration (for example with VLC) should run with one monitor on full hd (over DVI). Eventually a second monitor should run but this wouldn't be necessary. And I think HDCP isn't used because of no existing content. If the system is idle the card should normaly clock down.

Is there anything not runing? What could I expect the next months (for example until christmas)?

Again with other words: Do I understand you right: Kubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) starts out oft the box with normly graphic (without compositing?) and then you are able to download the driver and install it? Runs the desktop CD?
 07/14/2010 05:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

Posts: 8018
Joined: 11/11/2008

Originally posted by: kubuntu

I know for example that you can only use two monitors instead of three, but that's no problem. Office, Compositing, OpenGL (for example with Blender) and videoacceleration (for example with VLC) should run with one monitor on full hd (over DVI). Eventually a second monitor should run but this wouldn't be necessary. And I think HDCP isn't used because of no existing content. If the system is idle the card should normaly clock down.



Is there anything not runing? What could I expect the next months (for example until christmas)?



Again with other words: Do I understand you right: Kubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) starts out oft the box with normly graphic (without compositing?) and then you are able to download the driver and install it? Runs the desktop CD?


inside linux there is a driver manager. Once you load it up and connect to the Internet first. It will then detect the ATI 10.6 available and needs to be enabled. Just hit the activate key and wala your done.

Never found anything NOT working other then I never did get D3D or Open GL working on Virtual box running win 7 or xp.

Like I said the ultimate edition is very decent for being free and 100% licensing hassle free.

I still like windows 7 far more my self.

-------------------------
AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)
 07/15/2010 03:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kubuntu
Lurker

Posts: 4
Joined: 07/14/2010

Thank you. So I can try it with the normal Koubuntu CD/DVD and if it doesn't works, I have to use the Ultimate Edition or to try the Reconstructor (to add only the driver). Or I build in the hdd in another pc and install Kubuntu and the driver and switch the pc again (on Win unthinkable).
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.



Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information