AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: KDE4 and your ATI 5XXX video play back tearing and shearing
Topic Summary: Tearing and shearing(ripping screen) during ALL video play back in Linux
Created On: 07/21/2010 05:13 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/21/2010 05:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
4portswitch
Lurker

I AM Disappointed. I have two 5XXX video cards. I have newer hardware with dual core processors, your processors. Phenom II X2 555 black edition, MSI 785gtm-e45 Mother boards that work great. They have on board video that doesn't work with your Linux drivers. I think the latest driver is 10.4 available for Linux? MY QUESTION IS; Why wont you fix video playback in Linux? I mean all Linux distros. Even the distros you claim to support all have video playback and compatibility issues.
You stand to lose all the customer base you built within the Linux community. I am a paying customer. We are all paying. I paid you for video cards that you said would play back video, well, in Linux based systems, on LCD monitors. What I got from your vendors and you, was a bad set of video cards that can't play back video without constant tearing and shearing. If it was just my cards I would not be writing this. It's not just one card or just my cards, It's everyone's cards. Everything I read so far ends up with you, AMD/ATI, wiping your hands of any responsibility for the products you sell to the public. While we all scurry around trying to get this garbage to work for you. Your behavior in this matter is similar to Microsoft or a high-school student who just got caught smoking on school grounds. "It wasn't me! We didn't do anything wrong!" as the kid stands in front of his teacher with a cigarette in his mouth. Well you did do something wrong. You sold all of us a product you knew wouldn't work the way you advertised it would. You conned us all. I wont buy another video card from you or your vendors. Meanwhile were all stuck making excuses for you. No longer. You know what the one, really cool thing about this situation is? I don't need you for anything. There are other people who sell this junk to, LOL. You have no control in this situation. All you can do now is try to recover whatever dignity you had while we all buy something else. Smoke that.

-------------------------
Inspiring ownership is taking away excuses and inspiring hope.
 07/21/2010 10:03 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

This is a user based forum, though some AMD employees do act as moderators here, very few people at AMD who can actually do anything about your situation will see your post.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

07/21/2010 06:42 PM

Author Icon
4portswitch
Lurker

Well it was my only remaining outlet. They don't respond to decent and calm attempts at communication about their products. When I say decent I mean fair questions about their products real world performance within Linux and their plans to pursue future support for systems based on Linux. I find it unfortunate that the moderators here are not AMD/ATI employees. I apologize for the brute tactics I used here only in that you can't do anything about the situation and take the brunt of it. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. The quality of the product reflects the quality of their support. When I refer to support I don't think it should be deflected by the cover of an unsupported forum.
At this point I must ask you, what would you use as the best way to communicate with AMD/ATI?

Inspiring ownership is taking away excuses and inspiring hope.
 09/21/2010 06:22 PM

Author Icon
Omad
Lurker

I installed Ubuntu 10.4 yesterday (first linux distro I have installed in 6 years) and spent 5 hours on your problem. This is how I got vsync working for me, please excuse the (overkill) long list of steps but this is the last combination I did before things worked.

1. System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects -> None
2. Reboot
3. System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers -> Remove 'Proprietry FGLRX GFX Driver'
4. Reboot
5. Used some site to confirm FGLRX was uninstalled via terminal (you will have to google sry)
5. Reboot
6. Log on to www.amd.com
7. At the top right, Desktop GFX -> Radeon HD -> HD 5xxx -> Linux x86
8. Download the driver (ATI Catalyst 10.9 Proprietry blah blah at time of writing)
9. Download 'Installer Instructions' as well, its useful
(If this was one of my normal customer support situations, I would be stating you need to wait until the file is downloaded, lol)
10. Follow the Install Instructions document to get this driver installed (dont forget that "something something --initial" line at the end of the install before reboot)
11. Reboot
12. Open Terminal (the home folder should be fine) and type :
sudo -s
aticonfig --vs=on
aticonfig --sync-video=on
13. Reboot
14. Open Terminal (home folder again) :
amdcccle
15. Navigate to 3D -> More Settings -> Wait for vertical refresh
16. Drag the bar to the right so it reads 'Always On'
17. Click 'OK'
18. System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects -> Extra
19. Reboot

At this point I could open windows and not see any tearing when I moved the windows around quickly. I also Opened VLC, Tools -> Preferences -> Video -> Output to OpenGL, restarted VLC and played a DVD without tearing.

Good luck, Took me 5 hours, I hope this works for you.

*On that note, AMD if you are reading, '4portswitch' does have a point regarding vsync. Can you please default ALL vsync options to ON in future driver releases please.
 09/21/2010 06:32 PM

Author Icon
J.P.
Fanboi

Originally posted by: 4portswitch

I AM Disappointed. I have two 5XXX video cards. I have newer hardware with dual core processors, your processors. Phenom II X2 555 black edition, MSI 785gtm-e45 Mother boards that work great. They have on board video that doesn't work with your Linux drivers. I think the latest driver is 10.4 available for Linux? MY QUESTION IS; Why wont you fix video playback in Linux? I mean all Linux distros. Even the distros you claim to support all have video playback and compatibility issues.

You stand to lose all the customer base you built within the Linux community. I am a paying customer. We are all paying. I paid you for video cards that you said would play back video, well, in Linux based systems, on LCD monitors. What I got from your vendors and you, was a bad set of video cards that can't play back video without constant tearing and shearing. If it was just my cards I would not be writing this. It's not just one card or just my cards, It's everyone's cards. Everything I read so far ends up with you, AMD/ATI, wiping your hands of any responsibility for the products you sell to the public. While we all scurry around trying to get this garbage to work for you. Your behavior in this matter is similar to Microsoft or a high-school student who just got caught smoking on school grounds. "It wasn't me! We didn't do anything wrong!" as the kid stands in front of his teacher with a cigarette in his mouth. Well you did do something wrong. You sold all of us a product you knew wouldn't work the way you advertised it would. You conned us all. I wont buy another video card from you or your vendors. Meanwhile were all stuck making excuses for you. No longer. You know what the one, really cool thing about this situation is? I don't need you for anything. There are other people who sell this junk to, LOL. You have no control in this situation. All you can do now is try to recover whatever dignity you had while we all buy something else. Smoke that.

Sorry man, but I run linux and I get flawless video playback.

Linux Ubuntu Ultimate x64 2.7 10.4 LTS. kernel 2.6.32.25 generic

Not the drivers, more like a hardware / config issue.

Then again, no 2 PC,s ever act alike.

In fact I have some 400 movies on here ranging from Mpeg to AVI to Mpeg4 and mpeg2 and DVIX and they all play great with no tearing.

What monitor are you using ?

What ATI drivers ?

I didn't have to do any of what he did above.

AMD 1090T x6 Hexa core - All 6 cores locked @ 3.6 Ghz
4 GB OCZ Reapers DDR 3 1600 7 7 7 24 - 9800 GT dedicated physx
2x Asus 5870 xfire - 875/1225 with Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 board
2x 1 TB Wester digital Blacks Sata III
Linux Ubuntu ultimate & Windows 7 gaming only

Laptop
Acer Timeline X Intel i5 540m 2.56 Ghz 3.06 Ghz max boost 13.3 12 hour run time - Linux Ubuntu Ultimate

Edited: 09/21/2010 at 06:41 PM by J.P.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information