AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: ubuntu and AMD PHENOM II x6 1055T
Topic Summary: ubuntu linux, does it work on phenom II ?
Created On: 08/18/2010 06:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/18/2010 06:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dag1
Lurker

I am considering purchasing AMD PHENOM II x6 1055T box.
I want to install the latest ubuntu.
Does anyone know if Ubuntu works smoothly on the Phenom II machines ?
thanks
Dag

-------------------------
--Dagg
 08/18/2010 08:24 AM

Author Icon
slaveondope
Case Modder

Yes.......

More Advanced Micro Devices than Intel
 08/25/2010 01:08 PM

Author Icon
ColonelPackage
Lurker

My Phenom II x6 1055T is "out for delivery" today. I just did a quick search and found this article:

http://www.ubuntu-user.com/lay...ontent/view/full/1098

AMD has floated a fix for it but the best I was able to determine was that it's in the 2.6.35 version of the kernel. My Unbuntu right now is at 2.6.32 (and I think the kernel just updated yesterday).

Anybody know where the fix for this sits in the kernel version tree and if/when Ubuntu will pick it up?
 08/25/2010 01:11 PM

Author Icon
ColonelPackage
Lurker

Looks like we'll see it in the 2.6.34 kernel:
http://www.h-online.com/open/n...nder-Linux-993127.html
 08/25/2010 04:22 PM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

Interesting information ColonelPackage. I know Ubuntu works well with the X4 but did not realize the performance issue with the X6 Turbocore function. Keep us posted on how it goes for you.

Cheers.

08/25/2010 05:48 PM

Author Icon
ColonelPackage
Lurker

The CPU is "in the house". Installing now...
 08/25/2010 06:49 PM

Author Icon
ColonelPackage
Lurker

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Ubuntu propagated the AMD patch.

This site:http://www.ubuntu-user.com/lay...content/view/full/1098 says this:

"AMD has already sent a relevant patch upstream. The chipmaker is encouraging distro maintainers to update with this patch as soon as possible. The patch should be included in the next Ubuntu 10.04 kernel update. To determine if the issue affects your system, use the following command:

dmesg | grep "pstate 0"

If the maximum frequency (pstate 0) is shown as 3600 MHz for the 1090T or 3300 MHz for the 1055T, the system's performance is reduced."

I try it and get:

[ 1.524386] powernow-k8: 0 : pstate 0 (2800 MHz)

I don't see anything else that looks wrong and I left the Cool 'n Quiet enabled in the bios.

Looks like its all good.

FWIW, the stock fan/heatsink that comes with it is pretty noisy. I went from and Athlon II X2 250 that was basically silent so its really noticeable.

Have fun!
 08/25/2010 07:46 PM

Author Icon
P . P . L .
B1FF

Hi.

I brought this up i while ago on this forum and was told i was wrong that my 1055T was running all cores at 3.3ghz. ( my posts are still here somewhere )

I've tried doing this (dmesg | grep "pstate 0") in terminal but i don't get any result it just goes back to the prompt.

Anyone know of an app for Ubuntu that shows the cpu speed live for ALL CORES as i haven't been able to find anything that works.

This being an AMD forum i had hoped there would be some Official Tech help from them.

08/25/2010 07:57 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

PPL this is a user forum:

SITE GUIDELINES

This site is moderated by both AMD as well as 3rd party member moderators, and we request that you please be respectful when interacting with our moderating team. Although the site is occasionally moderated by AMD employees, it is intended only as a way for visitors to get answers from other visitors, and not to get answers from AMD.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

09/01/2010 08:07 PM

Author Icon
ColonelPackage
Lurker

PPL,

What version of Ubuntu are you running? Could be part of the problem. From what I've read, when you are experiencing the problem you'll get the bogus 3.3ghz value.

I'm running 10.04. There is a applet you can add to the panel (bar) across the top of screen that tracks the CPU clock speed. Its pretty cool, it allows you set the mode (ie. conservative, Ondemand, Performance, Powersave) and it must set the associated setting the bios. Its called "CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor".

Hope that helps.
 09/01/2010 08:08 PM

Author Icon
ColonelPackage
Lurker

I meant to say that the applet also displays the CPU clock speed in realtime. Also I think all the cores are locked to the same speed. ie. They aren't individually clocked at different speeds.

Originally posted by: ColonelPackage

PPL,

What version of Ubuntu are you running? Could be part of the problem. From what I've read, when you are experiencing the problem you'll get the bogus 3.3ghz value.

I'm running 10.04. There is a applet you can add to the panel (bar) across the top of screen that tracks the CPU clock speed. Its pretty cool, it allows you set the mode (ie. conservative, Ondemand, Performance, Powersave) and it must set the associated setting the bios. Its called "CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor".

Hope that helps.
 09/02/2010 12:21 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

I have that app setup on my computer too.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

09/24/2010 02:37 PM

Author Icon
dancingmadrb3
Lurker

Ubuntu handles almost anything you throw at it hardware wise, the hex cores are troublesome for some but it will improve as Linux developers are pretty good at patching in fixes.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information