Increase font size
Topic Title: New Hardware with Ubuntu
Topic Summary: Just a comment here.
Created On: 07/06/2011 10:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/06/2011 10:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

Just a comment here.

I finally got around to using Ubuntu again after installing my new hardware, and I forgot how much fun it can be to get everything working again. The ATI proprietary driver for my graphics card completely disappeared and my secondary hard drive refused to mount. In both cases though, Google was certainly my friend. Once I found the correct terminal commands to use, the ATI driver was actually easier to install compared to how it used to be in the "good old days". Then a quick edit of fstab got the hard drive mounted too. Good times.

For me at least, Ubuntu stirs emotions that cannot be matched by any modern version of Windows. Despair when hardware won't work followed by euphoria when it finally does.

Now, I believe I'll replace my Lucid Lynx 10.04 and give Natty Narwhal 11.04 a try just to see what that is all about. They say Gnome is dead - long live Unity. That, plus I'm up for another challenge.

Cheers.

-------------------------
 07/09/2011 10:22 AM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

Well, figured I'd reply with my progress on installing Natty Narwhal. After downloading, I installed it using a USB stick, and it went very quickly. Seemed much quicker than installing from a CD. I changed the boot order in my BIOS to first boot from a removable device but that failed. I had to press F8 during POST to select the USB drive to boot from it. Kind of surprised at that and I've no idea why it did not work directly from the BIOS setting.

Anyway, as I already knew beforehand, the new installation defaulted to the same old Gnome GUI instead of the new Unity GUI because it would not recognize my video card. No 3D - No Unity. However, 8 commands later through the Terminal and all was good. In case anyone else is looking for the commands to install Catalyst in Linux (not only in Ubuntu), here's the link that should get the job done. Just read, copy and paste.

Unofficial Wiki for the AMD Linux Driver

A short time later, I had wireless Internet working, all updates installed and my old wireless printer working. I'm still playing around with the new Unity desktop but so far it seems pretty slick and easy to use. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a change.

EDIT: For some reason, Ubuntu recommends the 32-bit version in their download page. I've no idea why. I went ahead and downloaded the 64-bit version anyway and it seems to be working just fine.

Edited: 07/09/2011 at 12:31 PM by RBR
 07/09/2011 11:46 AM

Author Icon
Trevayne10
B1FF

I think i'll stick with 10.04.2 LTS (64 bit) - quite happy with it and good ol' Gnome. Besides, the Long Term Support is free, and it lasts all the way through 2014. What's not to like?

I tried 11.04..it booted up just fine, everything works, but it just seems a bit slower than prior releases. I just can't seem to get my mojo going with Unity.

By the way, I wonder if Canonical is ever going to fix the annoying as heck "Cannot reserve MMIO region" boot message that plagues every AMD-based computer, booting any release of Ubuntu since 2006, at least.
 07/09/2011 12:30 PM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

I admit 10.04 always worked fine for me as well. Sometimes I just cannot leave well enough alone though and do enjoy changing things up a bit.

I have never noticed the "Cannot reserve MMIO region" message in 10.04 or now in 11.04. You state it appears during the boot process? Does booting stop when it appears or does the message just flash by?

07/09/2011 03:30 PM

Author Icon
Trevayne10
B1FF

It doesn't stop my system from booting - it just flashes up at the top of the screen - but it does seem to hold up the works a bit.

I'm told that this is really just "informative", and to just ignore it. Well, that doesn't sit right with me. Some driver or module is trying to load, the kernel can't stick it somewhere in memory where it needs to, so I'm wondering if it's a panic or crash waiting to happen, further down the road.

The problem seems to be unique to certain AMD chipsets, which some developers apparently view as "buggy".

I'm going to try blacklisting the shpchp module.
 11/17/2011 08:27 AM

Author Icon
kizinew
Lurker

Working conditions do not allow installation of ubuntu so that this problem is not very clear
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information