Increase font size
Topic Title: Ubuntu 'hangs' intermittently during I/O
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/06/2011 09:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/06/2011 09:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lister171254
Lurker

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 on a software RAID1 and experience the occasional 'system hang' during extended I/O.

With' system hang' I mean the sytem is still up but accepts no input and logs no kernel/system messages and is for all intent and purposes dead until a reboot.

With extended I/O I mean full backups (400GB+), a full check on the array, etc.

I have logged this as an Ubuntu bug, but given that I have configured 10+ other systems the same and have never seen this problem, nobody else seems to have a similar problem, I'm looking for other possible reasons for this behaviour.

One possibility would be the controller. I'm running a GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard and the disks are controlled by a AMD SB750 controller

Any constructive feedback is appreciated.
 11/16/2011 10:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ildefonso
Lurker

Greetings,

I had a similar issue with Gigabyte A75-UD4H and A8-3850 CPU, I did all of that:

1. Updated BIOS: problem seemed to persist, but got better.
2. Tried to install drivers from AMD directly: problem persisted.
3. Installed fglrx-updates package (for drivers)
4. Unmounted CPU cooler and added more thermal compound (this reduced temperature by around 5º or so, not significant).
5. Installed newer kernel (3.0.8) compiled myself.

In the end, the problem went away.... I think it was the newer video drivers + newer kernel.

Ildefonso.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information