Increase font size
Topic Title: Trying to install Ubuntu or Mint Linux on Llano laptop
Topic Summary: video not supported on Llano
Created On: 03/04/2012 05:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/04/2012 05:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ykhan
Lurker

I just bought a new Toshiba laptop, Satellite L745D, which comes with an AMD A6-3400M processor (Llano). The problem is that the latest versions of Linux distros, Ubuntu 11.10 or Mint 12, will not install on the laptop, can't even get the Live CD to start in most cases. It produces a blank screen during install. It seems to me that the Linux AMD video drivers don't support the internal GPU of the Llano. Any idea what's going on?
 03/05/2012 12:02 PM

Author Icon
ykhan
Lurker

I did some more searching, it looks like there is a bug report in Linux bug report site about it:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/825777

So it would seem we're awaiting an update from AMD to put support in the Linux Catalyst drivers for Llano. Anybody from AMD reading these forums, that can respond?
 03/10/2012 03:34 PM

Author Icon
little helper
Lurker

First distribution I tried worked on mine, Zorin 5.2 64bit. Now that's based on the slightly older Ubuntu 11.04 Natty. The kernel is one of the 2.6es. Don't load on the latest AMD proprietary drivers or you get the hanging problem.

Because I couldn't get my soundcard, an e-mu 0404, to work I tried out some live distros to do a test that's when I discovered the same loading problems as you. 11.10 Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint 12 Gnome and Debian. Even the usually indestructible Puppies didn't work.

Mageia 1.0 worked so did Zenwalk. Both these have the 2.6 kernel though. Sabayon 7 also works but that updates itsself to the 3.0 kernel so I didn't want to go there just in case. The latest version of PC-BSD also got me to the installation screen no problems.

Gives you some options anyhow.
 03/10/2012 03:51 PM

Author Icon
ykhan
Lurker

Thanks, I must say I haven't heard of most of the distros like Zorin, Zenwalk, or Sabayon. I haven't used BSD in ages, maybe it's time to get myself reacquainted?
 03/10/2012 05:44 PM

Author Icon
ykhan
Lurker

BTW, another thing I noticed, that even if you get video to work on one of those older Linux releases, the release doesn't support the machine's native resolution. In my case, the native resolution is 1366x768, the resolution it comes up with is 1024x768 instead.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information