Increase font size
Topic Title: Heat issue fx-4100
Topic Summary: heating with anything i do with this processor
Created On: 06/22/2012 04:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/22/2012 04:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
foolman555
Lurker

Hi, ive had an amd fx 4100 for about 3 months now and ever since ive got it, it heats up really fast shuts down or freezes. I run a small minecraft server for my friends. Its ok when I run that but when I run minecraft on the same computer it just shuts down or even if i do anything. *temp taken with gigabyte touchbios and CPUID HWMonitor* When I even just might be on internet explorer on ebay or running 2 antiviruses at the same time with no server on it shuts down because the temperature goes to 90 degrees Celcius.
Im not sure if I should take it back for warranty or something??

Thanks

Setup:
Gigabyte 970a-d3 BIOS: F9 *latest
FX-4100 3.6ghz clock
Corsair Vengeance 16gb 1600mhz
Stock cooler
Coolermaster elite 430
5 case fans and neat cable management
120gb Seagate hdd
Asus gt430 clock speed

*Heats up to 90 degrees celcius and shuts down
*temps taken with gigabyte touchbios and CPUID HWMonitor
 06/22/2012 09:49 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Try taking the vcore (CPU Voltage) off of "Auto" in the BIOS and manually setting it to a proper voltage (i.e. the lowest voltage possible while still retaining stability while the CPU is loaded, e.g. running Prime95 for several hours). I bet that if you watch CPU-Z your CPU voltage is shooting up to a level that is not really needed for that CPU clock. You can also look into purchasing an aftermarket HSF (CPU heatsink cooler) like the Hyper 212, but I bet that if you put a handle on your vcore you will be good.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 06/22/2012 06:23 PM

Author Icon
foolman555
Lurker

What voltage should I set it to??
 06/22/2012 11:23 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Not sure tbh, I've never messed with any of the BullDozer CPU's. What I would do if I were you is one of two things....1, do some research to see what a normal vcore should be for your frequency and try that.....2, you can look to see what you vcore is running at while loaded and manually set that and work the vcore down step by step until you find where it is becoming unstable, then bump it back up 1 to 2 notches followed by a thorough stability test (12 hours running Prime95). The second option is not a quick process unfortunately but that is how we enthusiasts work our overclocks.....you never know, you might get hooked yourself...LOL

You can always keep checking back into here and see if anyone has posted anything for you to work off of or try other sites that are busier than this place has been like overclock.net or xtremesystems.org.

Cheers!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 06/23/2012 02:41 AM

Author Icon
foolman555
Lurker

Thanks a lot m8 now the processor dosent go over 60degrees when underload!!!!

Thanks a lot m8!
 06/23/2012 03:54 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

No worries, 60C is still pretty high if you are running stock clocks. You may want to try dropping the voltage down more and more until you find the threshold between stable and unstable. That is the key to longevity.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information