Increase font size
Topic Title: Thank You
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/06/2007 04:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/06/2007 04:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sdlvx

I just wanted to say thank you for improving the Linux drivers for ATI video cards.

I run linux full time on my laptop, and it has an ATI Mobility x1600 in it. I use Compiz Fusion, and performance has never been phenomenal.

Not only are these new drivers going to give better performance, but next month, we get AIGLX. No more XGL.

We get the right shut down buttons now! We get smoother animations! We can use 3d apps with Compiz Fusion! No more XGL crashing! Better battery life because we don't have to use XGL.

I had an x1950 XT AGP. It stopped working right, and I bought an NVIDIA to replace it. That was the second NVIDIA I had ever owned (I had an rage 128, radeon 9700 pro, x800 pro), and only an G4 MX440 before that.

The x1950 got replaced with the 8800 because I sometimes use Linux with Compiz Fusion on my desktop. TBH, I've always liked ATI more than NVIDIA, and I'd buy an ATI even if it wasn't the fastest (I've started doing the same with CPUs. This Opteron 165 is unbelievable overclocked. I'm amazed I ever even owned an Intel). With the terrible drivers, I had no intention on buying an ATI card (at least for a while)

So, I wanted to thank you AMD, for finally making decent drivers for us Linux folks. I was boycotting ATI (not AMD CPUs), but now, I look forward to building my new system next year with and AMD Phenom (or low end Opteron) and an r700 GPU.

Thank you, ATI and AMD.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information