AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Kubuntu Install
Topic Summary: okay bring on the suggestions..
Created On: 10/30/2007 05:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/30/2007 05:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Guys/gals, I'm taking the plunge, if time allows, I'm going to install Kubuntu on a spare drive I have...

Now that should be straight forward, I hope... what I need suggestions on is PPPOE install as I have wireless service to my house, but the NIC is hardwired via cat5 to the wireless transceiver...

Later

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

10/30/2007 07:01 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

The first step is to see if your card is detected by default. If not, you'll have to tinker a bit and either hunt down a linux driver or use something like ndiswrapper. The chances are pretty good the card will be up and running from the get-go, unless you've got one from broadcom or somebody else who doesn't have great linux support for their stuff. After that you can take a peek at two packages, pppoe and pppoeconf. The first of those is the driver for pppoe connections, the second is the initial config tool used to set your connection up. I haven't used either of those so I don't know how good they are, but that looks like the way this sort of thing is usually done.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 10/30/2007 07:07 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

Biostar 6100-939 mainboard... has onboard NIC.

I've heard about a package from roaring penguin for PPPOE, have you heard of it?

Thanks

MD

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

10/30/2007 07:36 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

You're probably good to go then. If it's one of those from realtek or somebody else that you find everywhere, then you could probably make those work with a toaster if you wanted to. I haven't heard of the roaring penguin app, but it looks kind of nifty... might as well try it out.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 10/31/2007 11:47 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

Well I may have to hold off on this for a while, my wife has started labor, yep, we have another baby on the way !!

11/07/2007 10:28 AM

Author Icon
Kab

All the best to hopefully all three of you
 03/21/2008 06:38 AM

Author Icon
komrad

Originally posted by: MD Willington

Biostar 6100-939 mainboard... has onboard NIC.

I've heard about a package from roaring penguin for PPPOE, have you heard of it?

Thanks

MD

Where is url of the page that stated it has onboard NIC? Could you give me please.

web directory | income for life | Make Money Online

Edited: 03/21/2008 at 06:39 AM by komrad
 03/21/2008 10:23 AM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

I'm looking on BIOSTAR's site at the moment and I can't find a motherboard named "6100-939"...what exactly is the model number of the board, MD?
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information