AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Ubuntu or Fedora ? and some other questions...
Topic Summary: to Linux or not to Linux
Created On: 11/10/2007 06:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/10/2007 06:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Xajel
Case Modder

Hellow folks

First I want to mention that I'm not planning to replace Windows for Linux, I just want to try something new, have more experiences with OS, I already used some sort of Ubuntu Live & SuSe Live ( new Ubuntu and very old SuSe versions )

now I'm thinking going deep and install a linux on one of my drives, I have some questions...

I know that Ubuntu is becoming one of the most common used dist. of Linux, I heard a lot of talks about it, but I like the way that Fedora looks ( I don't know if it was just a GUI thing about KDE or GNOME as I only used KDE, the Fedora I saw looks like more MacOS thing like KDE I used to see before )

I'm trying to install one version at time, Fedora or Linux, but don't know wich one to start with...

and about installing, I have two partitions for OS's, now C: for XP, D: for Vista

I wonder if I have to format any partition in order to install Linux, or can I for example do a new 20 to 40 GB partition from my second HDD for linux

I heard that making Linux handle NTFS issome how hard or need some tools...

so I need some
- recommendations ( Fedora or Linux )
- decide ( use currently used FAT 32 partition, or create new one )
- boot things, I already had Vista boot with both XP and Vista boot options ( I still use XP as my main OS ), I mean if I installed Linux, will it show me OS select menu on boot ? and what If I decided to install the Ubuntu after I installed Fedora, how can I do this without loosing the boot things, and what If I decided to remove Linux and wana back to Vista boot, is using Vista DVD to restore the boot works here ?
 11/10/2007 07:42 AM

Author Icon
rivenought

In my experience, openSUSE 10.3 is an excellent distro to consider. Upon installation, options are presented for dual-booting if you so desire. The package manager, YaST, is a big plus. You will certainly notice massive changes from older versions, especially SuSE distros. Perhaps this might help in your decision. Have a lot of fun.

-------------------------
My system: openSUSE 10.3 (64-bit) / KDE 3.5.8 running on an MSI K9VGM-V (integrated VIA Chrome9 K8M890 graphics) with an AMD AM2 Sempron64 3000+ CPU and 2 GB of Kingston KVR667D2N5 RAM.
 11/10/2007 09:20 AM

Author Icon
MikeB12

you'll be required to create 2 linux partitions for install.. SWAP and ROOT.
unfortunately your fat32's can't be used for install, but you will be able to mount them as volumes afterwards.
you can mount your ntfs volumes too, but a little more tricky than the fat32's, just use the ubuntu docs to do it.
they have quite an extensive collection of how to's, tips and tricks, those docs will be your friend for a long time.
I'm pretty much a linux noob, other than playing with it here and there; so the docs helped me immensely.
and the install documentation can walk pretty much anybody through it. (fresh or dual boot)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

*Q6600@3330mhz 1.35v - True120 | Abit IP35pro | 2x2GB Gskil | 2 x EVGA GTS 250- shader 1890 | Corsair HX520 | OCZ Vertex 60GB/Seagate 7200.11 500GB
*x4 810@3250mhz 1.32v - Xigmatek S1283 | MSI K9A2 CF-F 790X | 2x1GB Kingston HyperX | 2 x MSI GTS 250- shader 1890 | Antec EW 500
*Q6600@3330mhz 1.36v - Scythe Mugen | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L | 2x1GB Ballistx | XFX GTX 260 (192) shader 1512 | OCZ Stealth 500w
 11/10/2007 10:47 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Not a Linux install but here is an option.

My wife and I share one PC, we had for a while two similar drives, those drives were in a removable tray.

The tray slides into a 5,25" drive bay.

So when I used the computer, I turned off the computer, pulled my wife's drive from the bay, put my drive in the bay and turned it back on.

One drive for my OS, one drive for her OS...

You could try this with your machine, have your Microsoft drive in one tray and a linux distro in another tray...

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

11/10/2007 05:57 PM

Author Icon
Megadeth

You do not need to create two partitions for Linux, you only need one. The root partition is required, while the swap is recommended for all systems. I have 2 gigabytes of memory, and I have a 512 megabytes swap partition. I never have gone into my swap partition even when running heavy compiles.
 11/12/2007 01:50 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

I would go with Fedora. It is a DVD ISO, so it is a larger download than Ubuntu's CD ISO, but Ubuntu, in my experience, has always been a lot slower and more bloated than Fedora. Fedora 8 just came out last week, and I currently have the 64-bit version of it on my HP laptop. However, I suggest you use the 32-bit version so that everything is compatible; I am a little more experienced with Linux, which is why I decided to use the more performance-oriented 64-bit version. Here's their web site:

http://fedoraproject.org/

Lots of great documentation is available here as well as the ISOs themselves. Good luck!
 11/12/2007 10:54 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

You need to make two partitions when you are in Windows- C:\ for Windows and then another partition. Then point the Linux installer to the empty partition. The installer will create new partitions in that empty partition of yours- let it. At the least, it will create two partitions out of the original one- / and swap. You might want to make a separate partition for /home but I don't know how large your drive is.

As far as which distribution- just go download some live CDs that look promising and boot them up. If you find one you like, you can install from it in most cases.

Oh, and the Linux bootloader (GRUB) sees Windows and you can pick to boot either Linux or Windows after the computer POSTs.

11/13/2007 01:16 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Ubuntu is better for beginers.

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 11/13/2007 07:03 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

Originally posted by: Overmind

Ubuntu is better for beginers.

Yes, ubuntu is easier to configure than fedora, but it is not necessarily my favorite b/c it is quite slow thanks to the large amount of useless software that is installed. I think a better beginners distro is SUSE; at least SUSE doesn't have the annoying apt-get package manager that ubuntu has. Matter of fact, when I started using linux about 3 years ago, I started with SUSE 9.1 then soon moved to fedora core 4. Boy things have changed since then...
 11/13/2007 07:32 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Hah, that's funny... You hate apt-get, I hate RPMs...

Like MU_Engineer said... just find a LiveCD and something and try it out. If you don't like it, try something else.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 11/14/2007 04:02 AM

Author Icon
Xajel
Case Modder

Thanks all

I already have Ubuntu now in CD's ( three versions mac, 32bit & 64bit )...

I just have small question, can I use GNOME instead of KDE without going to download/install thing ?

BTW, the CD's I have are the free CD's that Ubuntu offer from thier site
 11/14/2007 06:03 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

vsingh, that packages help the user (at least some) because they won't have to search, find and install quite a few things that are vrey probable to be required.

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 11/14/2007 03:39 PM

Author Icon
rivenought

Xajel,
From what I gather, Ubuntu has Gnome as its GUI. Kubuntu has KDE as its GUI. If you have regular Ubuntu, you should have had Gnome install by default. I am not 100% certain of K/Ubuntu since I currently use openSUSE, but check your discs to see which one you installed.

My system: openSUSE 10.3 (64-bit) / KDE 3.5.8 running on an MSI K9VGM-V (integrated VIA Chrome9 K8M890 graphics) with an AMD AM2 Sempron64 3000+ CPU and 2 GB of Kingston KVR667D2N5 RAM.
 11/15/2007 03:14 AM

Author Icon
Xajel
Case Modder

I used the Live one to test before, it was KDE ( AFAIK ), but I didn't test the install thing, I need to do a new partition and to have some time too ( I don't have much time now, as I have a job to do in these days )
 12/23/2007 12:33 PM

Author Icon
Megadeth

You can install any desktop environment or window manager on *buntu. That's it.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information