Increase font size
Topic Title: Taking the plunge, have some typical newbie questions
Topic Summary: Please be kind!
Created On: 12/23/2007 02:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/23/2007 02:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

Good day

I tried Kubuntu before, but i had dial up access and I never could get my Winmodem to work.
Now I have satellite access so I thought I would give it another try.

First question; how big a hard drive do I really need? I could go several ways with this.
1. SCSI, Adaptec 2940 Ultra Wide, 18gb ultra wide drive, not sure if that is big enough though.
2. I have some hotswap trays so it would not be hard to jerk my windoz drive out and plug in my kubuntu drive. Eide drives I have, 6.4gb, 10gb, 15gb, 40gb, 80gb. What would be the best?

The reason I am asking about the size of hard drive is from what I understand kubuntu like to have some swap drive space, I think it creates swap drive space when it sets up the hard drive. So I have no idea what would be good enough.

I cannot see this being much more than a hobby as I do not think there are the programs I need for working with graphics and video.

Does anyone know if my Ultra D LanParty board works well with Linux? Am I going to have a nightmare getting the network to work?
Thanks for your thoughts

-------------------------
Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide

Edited: 12/23/2007 at 02:51 AM by geezer_wheelz
 12/23/2007 07:51 AM

Author Icon
MikeB12

you can run a livecd to see if it picks up all the hardware. http://www.kubuntu.org/

when you run the install to hard drive, it'll ask you to partition and create the root and swap parts..
You really don't need a big swap, especially with the ram we run now adays.. it used to be swap size=twice ram size...

it's been a while since I played with linux, so I'm a noob.
some of the other guys like MU engineer I'm sure can tell you more.

PCLinuxOS was the distro I always liked. http://www.pclinuxos.com/
last time I used it, it even picked up my wireless nic automatically. the livecd boot browsed the internet with no config.

*Q6600@3330mhz 1.35v - True120 | Abit IP35pro | 2x2GB Gskil | 2 x EVGA GTS 250- shader 1890 | Corsair HX520 | OCZ Vertex 60GB/Seagate 7200.11 500GB
*x4 810@3250mhz 1.32v - Xigmatek S1283 | MSI K9A2 CF-F 790X | 2x1GB Kingston HyperX | 2 x MSI GTS 250- shader 1890 | Antec EW 500
*Q6600@3330mhz 1.36v - Scythe Mugen | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L | 2x1GB Ballistx | XFX GTX 260 (192) shader 1512 | OCZ Stealth 500w
 12/23/2007 07:37 PM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

Thanks Mike

I ran it off the CD last night and it did not get me on the internet. I tried to get it going but I guess I will have to read some more to figure it out. I even had a hard time trying to figure out what I had to change to get it on the net. There was something there for dial up, but nothing for network connections.
That is one thing to be said for Windows, install that and I am on the net right away, no screwing around.

Thanks for the swap info, I guess I will just stick one of the little hard drives in my other hard drive tray.
I went to the Kubuntu site some time ago and they ended up sending me 5 Kubuntu CDs for free!! I thought that was pretty cool!
I have only managed to give one away with a new system, hopefully if I can figure it out then I can give some more away.

There was a bit of stress when I first plugged in the CD, the only option I could see to run it from the CD was one that said Install/ Run. I was thinking oh yeah, it is going to install and I am going to lose everything!!

I will give it another try and read some help files, I so hope I can get it working.

Thanks again, will wait and see if anyone else responds to this.

12/23/2007 07:54 PM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

WHOOO Hoooo!!!

Last night when I could not get on the internet I changed some network settings and then it seemed to lock up, I could not open the system folder again, so I just took the CD out and went back to Windows.
Right now I am on the CD using Konqueror as a web browser!! Tooo Cool!

Now I have to learn about some drivers or whatever it is called in Kubuntu language and then I will be styling!!

02/13/2008 08:54 AM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

It should tell you whether a certain driver is not installed, especially graphics and wireless adapter drivers. Everything else is automatically picked up by the system, and you don't need to mess with SATA drivers or anything else unlike with *cough*Winbloze*cough*.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information