AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: installing linux on asus f3ka-x2
Topic Summary: has anyone gotten wireless to work?
Created On: 02/04/2008 02:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/04/2008 02:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
acfreema

so, here's the issue, i'm not worried about getting the proper gpu drivers, those will come in a few months. the big frustration is the atheros wireless adapter. madwifi (even though it's available for all the distros i've tried) doesn't work, and ndiswrapper fails too.
the latest item that i've used is gentoo. my roommate and i managed to get everything except the wireless to function (actually, i can't remember if we tried the sound). i'm pleased with how well it runs on gentoo, but the wireless support angers me. i had a vaio, recently, that had functioning wireless in ubuntu 6.1 and an hp (i forgot the model, but it was disappointing) that was able to function wirelessly using sabayon 3.2.

GRR!

help?
 02/07/2008 05:38 PM

Author Icon
acfreema

:chirp chirp:

hello?
 02/11/2008 11:08 AM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

Madwifi is definitely for atheros adapters, although I've never used it (my laptop's wireless is Broadcom 4318). What messages is it giving you when you try to configure it? Here's a guide i found:

http://madwifi.org/users-guide/
 02/17/2008 10:40 PM

Author Icon
acfreema

first of all, i can't figure out exactly what chip i have; windows reports 5007eg and lspci reports 5006eg.
second, madwifi drivers do nothing, period.
third, neither windows driver will work with ndiswrapper (tried both 64 and 32 bit versions)
i wouldn't say it's an error so much as everything coming up with "wrong driver" messages. basically, everything that i've tried has failed. i've used ubuntu (6.1, 7.1 8.04 beta), knoppix (3.4, 5.1), kanotix (the newest, i forget the #), gos, fedora core 8, rhel5, sabayon (3.2, 3.4e, 3.4f, 3.5 loop1), gentoo, bluewhite64, ultima, debian 4, and a few others that i can't remember. if the system boots (if it even gets that far, only knoppix 5.1 and ubuntu 7.1 did that), i try the drivers and nothing works. gentoo was my last hope, but that was also a loss; even after going through the minimal installation

Edited: 02/18/2008 at 02:47 AM by acfreema
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information