Increase font size
Topic Title: anyone used freespire?
Topic Summary: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED STARTER DISTRO FREESPIRE 2.0.8
Created On: 02/16/2008 10:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/16/2008 10:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

I'm looking for a goo Linux distro...all I've really tried is FC8. A year ago I went through like ten distro's just sort of experimenting, but now I'm actually looking for something good. So anyway...I was on the Freespire site, and it just looked absolutely perfect.

Has anyone had any experience with Freespire?

The only reason I'm asking is that the LiveCD keeps freezing on me. I'm not really sure why...although it may have something to do with my X-Fi.

Thanks guys.

-------------------------
My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!

Edited: 02/22/2008 at 12:13 PM by technic58
 02/16/2008 12:31 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Yeah, it was the X-Fi. Freespire is installed and seems really nice. CNR is acting up though. Gonna try and fix that...

FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
 02/16/2008 02:43 PM

Author Icon
mbjbdc
Overclocker

http://ultimateedition.info/
here another nice one configured wireless automatic

Biostar TA-990FXE-Extreme
amd-fx8120 @3.7 1.2750 V
corsair ddr3-1866 16GB
ocz-vertex3-240
windows 8 rtm
 02/16/2008 07:44 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

PCLinuxOS does the same thing too, and Ubuntu will configure wireless automatically as well (installs drivers for you). I haven't tried PCLinuxOS as of yet, but in my opinion, Ubuntu is great for all types of Linux users (except the geeky ones that want it hard lol).
 02/16/2008 10:43 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Lol I just love Freespire so far. And CNR seems like it would be great if it was working....you seriously just go online, click what you want to install, and bam, it installs it for you. But I guess I had an older version, and before I could install anything, it made me update it. Then it wouldn't start up anymore.

Apparently that's hapenning to a lot of people.

But it just seems like a great distro. I really wish CNR was working.

02/17/2008 10:55 AM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

It shows the free version of CNR to still be beta. Maybe it's not bug-free yet. Or did you buy the Premium version?

I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 and it seems seriously easy to use. No problem detecting my hardware - even my external firewire drive. Wireless connected in seconds, the 3-D graphics driver installed in seconds (nvidia 8600GTS card), and the Add/Remove Applications program downloads and installs applications with minimal effort - at least the ones I tried. This is so much better than when I was using SUSE 10 a long time ago where it seemed every task was just a struggle.

02/22/2008 12:12 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Well Freespire is working fine...before, I had downloaded Freespire 2.0.6. Apparently there was a later version, 2.0.8, which included the updated version of CNR so that it didn't have to update over the internet. I installed 2.0.8, and haven't found a single problem with it.

It's an incredibly user friendly Linux, probably the easiest I've ever tried. CNR is amazing, you click, and it installs. That is seriously ALL you have to do. And I've installed over 20 things with it. No problems, zip, zilch, nada.

I haven't had to use the console once!

And I also just downloaded ntfs-config and installed that(yes with CNR, this repository has a million things to download), which I'd read about online. Now I can write to my NTFS music partition from Linux, which works perfect for Limewire, so I can stay updated whether I'm in Windows or Limewire.

On top of that, all hardware is working fine, even my printer.

I'm incredibly impressed with Freespire and I encourage anyone seeking an easy distro to try it out.

Now there is one downside which I think a lot of the Linux veterans will have already noticed. This distro does not teach you A THING about Linux. Why? Because you don't have to do hardly anything different than you would in XP. You just click what you want to happen, and it happens. That's a lot different from other distro's I've used where you have to tinker in the console to install drivers and some programs, etc. Now I am by no means skilled in Linux, but I can navigate the command line moderately.

That being said, I'd recommend this for anyone who's frustrated with their current distro, or anyone who's brand new to Linux and looking for something to JUST WORK! Anyone else who wants to actually Learn Linux...well there may be better choices.

But really, this distro...just...works.

Try it out

EDIT: And seriously, make sure it's 2.0.8. I downloaded 2.0.6, even though it was titled 2.0.8 on the Freespire site. Not sure what's going on there. But then I used the torrent that they had listed for 2.0.8, and that turned out to be 2.0.8. I repeat, do NOT download 2.0.6, CNR will force you to update, and then fail to initialize. Get 2.0.8.

Edited: 02/22/2008 at 12:15 PM by technic58
 06/15/2008 12:40 AM

Author Icon
zufryy

Originally posted by: mbjbdc

http://ultimateedition.info/

here another nice one configured wireless automatic

Thx for the link dude

www.conafreac.com - Best Blog About Information Technology News, Reviews, and Previews
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information