Increase font size
Topic Title: video driver for chromatic research mpact 2 for debian
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/01/2008 02:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/01/2008 02:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Seeker38

I am searching for a video driver that can be loaded for my debian system to use with my chromatic research mpact 2 onboard video card. Is there a place I can go or can you tell me which is the best driver to use for this vesa, vga, or ati. Thanks.
 09/01/2008 08:39 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

I highly doubt the ati driver is even compatible with such an old card. I would use the vga driver for linux to work with older video cards; you can set it in the "Device Driver" section in xorg.conf.
 09/01/2008 09:01 PM

Author Icon
Seeker38

So you would recommend the vga driver as opposed to the vesa driver? What is the difference between these two? Thank you.
 09/08/2008 12:15 AM

Author Icon
bridgman

The vga driver accesses hardware directly; most graphics chips still boot up in a vga-compatible mode. The driver seems to support 1,4 and 8 bit depths with very limited resolutions.

The vesa driver operates through video BIOS calls, and according to the man page supports 8, 15, 16 and 24 bpp with a wider range of resolutions (typically whatever is supported in the bios tables).

The vesa driver seems to be more useful in general and is the standard "fallback" when there is no native driver (and there is no native driver for the mpact AFAIK). The vga driver is more limited but will work even if there are BIOS problems which make the vesa driver fail.

So... -vesa better, -vga safer, pretty much.

The -ati driver is a wrapper which can load either radeon, r128 or mach64 drivers based on PCI IDs. It will not work with the mpact chip.

Edited: 09/08/2008 at 12:24 AM by bridgman
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information