AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Worth upgrading to a 9950BE?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/06/2008 05:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/06/2008 05:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMD_NOOB

I built a system about 1 year ago which consists of a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo, Nvidia 8600gts vid card and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+. I just found out that with a bios update my mother board, it will support the Phenom quad. I don't do a whole lot of gaming and I don't know anything when it comes to overclocking. I mostly use my computer for multimedia playing/encoding...mainly high def.
Would I notice a big difference in the Phenom over my current processor? Is it worth spending the $185?

Thanks for any input!
 11/06/2008 06:36 PM

Author Icon
brane212

It depends on the program used IMO.

Phenom has plenty more horsepower in SSE units and a couple of cores more ( 4 vs 2 on your 6000+ ), so it could much faster, if your program can use it properly, especially encoding SW...
 11/06/2008 07:13 PM

Author Icon
jackjack2008

Originally posted by: AMD_NOOB

I built a system about 1 year ago which consists of a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo, Nvidia 8600gts vid card and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+. I just found out that with a bios update my mother board, it will support the Phenom quad. I don't do a whole lot of gaming and I don't know anything when it comes to overclocking. I mostly use my computer for multimedia playing/encoding...mainly high def.

Would I notice a big difference in the Phenom over my current processor? Is it worth spending the $185?

Thanks for any input!

You might find it really awesome in multimedia playing. I find myself doing more stuff now than I usually do. Like burnig CD's or movies while surfing and at the same time listening to my iTune. But if you are already satisfied with the X2 6000 then you might want to wait for the Deneb like everybody else that are not buying a phenom now is doing.

-------------------------
My PC: 9950BE 125W, XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler, Biostar TFORCE TA790GX A2+, 2X2GB G-Skill DDR2 800, MSI R4850-512M Radeon HD 4850, 400GB Seagate HDD, Samsung 22X DVDR SATA and currently operating with Windows Vista Business.
 11/06/2008 07:24 PM

Author Icon
Adam F

Originally posted by: AMD_NOOB

Thanks for any input!

Not unless you have the money to burn. The performance would be negligible at best.

for the love of GOD people quad core was intended for quad and tri crossfire and SLI. It has no real world benefit in a single GPU application. Never was intended to in any way shape or sort.

It would if you where doing something that had both cores peg 100% full time. Then and only then would a quad core be of much use.

there is no doubt that it wouldn't be a boost, but worth the money and what your expecting? Not a chance.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information