AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: A fatal hardware error has occurred. Component: AMD Northbridge
Topic Summary: PC crashing only when playing certain games.
Created On: 01/15/2010 07:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/15/2010 07:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
fistfulofmetal268

Hello.

I recently upgraded my PC with a quite a bit of new hardware. These are my specs:

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 socket AM3

Motherboard:
ASUS M4N72-E

Memory:
4gigs of DDR2 RAM

Video Card:
Radeon HD 5870 1gb of memory

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Now, I haven't had really any major issues overall. I use this machine to play games and 90% of the time it works great. I play games like GTA4, Left 4 Dead 2, Crysis, Fallout 3 etc without issue.

But on three occasions I have had issues. For three games so far: World in Conflict, Borderlands, and Dead Space. These three games have caused my PC to crash.

About 15 minutes ago this happened again when playing Dead Space. What happens is, the screen turns brown/tan with vertical skinny columns and it is completely frozen on the screen. I try to ctrl alt del, try alt f4, try alt tab, nothing. I am forced to reboot.

When I got back on the machine I checked my even logs and saw this error under my System log:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout Error
Processor ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

It's the only thing that pops out at me.

The strange thing is that I can't really understand why it's happened for these games. None of them are intensive on my machine. I run them all with ease on the max settings. At first I thought it was my graphical card overheating, then I thought it was the new drivers coupled with the new OS. But when I saw this error I now am looking at the processor.

What could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
 02/04/2010 03:27 AM

Author Icon
Slick_64

hmm.. there's that ugly word again "Hypertransport"

I've been having similar problems for months on my pc but it's a hypertransport sync flood error. seems to be common with AMD and/or MSI, ASUS mobos. Check out for other topics on HTSF errors.

The only thing i've found that helps is to keep the pc as cool as possible i.e. increase your graphics fan speed etc...it only happens when the pc is under heavy load therefore it gets hotter.

Also i have a 720W gigabyte psu and was advised to get a 1200W as AMD chips are power hungry. Not sure if this will cure the problem or not, and to increase the cpu voltage slightly.
 03/01/2010 05:46 AM

Author Icon
wakka

I was having the exact same hypertransport watchdog problem along with the infamous "display driver atikmdag has stopped responding and recovered" and I narrowed it down to a faulty RAM stick using memtest.

I think the 'grey screen with vertical lines' is specific to radeon 5000 series (the 5800/5700s anyway) cards and was supposed to be fixed by catalyst 10.2 drivers.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information