Increase font size
Topic Title: Phenom x3 8250e Toliman + ECS mobo
Topic Summary: ECS GF8100VM-M5 mobo with Phenom x3
Created On: 11/07/2011 04:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/07/2011 04:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
catnamedog
Lurker

Hi
I'm a relative newbie to the Phenom. I bought the rig last year as a sale special from Maplin, after my own rig blew up.
At the time all I wanted to do was get my business docs back.
Now, though I've looked at various articles and realised that my system isn't really running at best speed.
I was puzzled at the time why the bundle I bought included an Nvidia 8400Gs, when the mobo includes an Nvidia 8200 chipset. I decided that the 8400GS was the better of the 2, and disabled the onboard one. Was I right to do that?

I've noticed that when I try to play some games, the speed of play is awful - Splinter Cell Conviction is a good example.
I can supply any more information, but I'd just like to know if its possible to make my PC faster, and what hard/software I could buy to improve matters.
Sorry for these idiot questions, hope someone can advise me.
 11/28/2011 01:38 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

If the rig is just one year old, I am sure there a re a few things that can be upgraded in order to make it faster.

But we need more details about the system amount of RAM, power supply, OS 32 or 64bit ?

Disabling the onboard VGA was correct, it should free up some of the RAM that was shared for onboard VGA.

For gaming, I think the 8400GS is the bottleneck.

Does your system have two equal sticks of RAM?

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSi...ID=1&MenuID=20&LanID=0

-------------------------
 11/28/2011 01:45 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

hmm, I see that board specs refer to :

"NVIDIA ® GeForce® Boost Technology
This is a method of using the integrated graphics to boost the performance of a discrete graphics accelerator.
Geforce® Boost can provide discrete GPUs more graphics processing prowess."

So the idea of having a discrete card is in this case the feature of using onboard VGA to offload some of the work. So if the feature is enabled you should have better game performance with using both onboard an discrete enabled.

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information