Topic Title: Baseline Benchmark.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/27/2012 07:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/27/2012 07:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pantz
Fanboi

Hello everyone, i am back after a few years absence, i have upgrades my CPU from a AMD Phenom 2 x4 920 to a AMD Phenom 2 x4 965, and i have been monitoring my temps which seem pretty good right now, 40C at idle, and about 50c with a load (BF3), which i think is not to shabby, my BIOS is at default settings, as i have not yet attempted to OC, since i have been away from it for some time,
I do see at times that my CPU drops automatically from 3.4 to 2.2 and the temps also drops to around 30C no load is this because my BIOS settings are on AUTO? i have read some of the post here about the CPU volltage, mine is currrently at 1.44 @ 3.4GHZ, i have read that i can reduce my CPU voltage to around 1.35v-1.38v ? and that i should have my CPU fan running at full speed? i am just trying to get a stable benchmark before i try to OC my CPU.

System specs are :
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Windows 7 Pro X64
Corsair 4096 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (896 MB)
Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 1T
ZALMAN CNPS 9700 LED Processor cooler

Everything had been updated as of today

Thanks in advance.

-------------------------
[URL=http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss118/Pantzdown/?action=view&current=8d459e3a.pbw][/URL]
 03/27/2012 09:34 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

I would try dropping your vcore (CPU Voltage) down in increments and test with prime95 to see where your voltage threshold is at. That is the best way to determine your specific hardware's limitations. but 1.44v for a 3.4Ghz CPU freq is pretty high. Also, turn off Cool and Quiet so that your system stops throttling the freq and voltage.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 03/27/2012 02:53 PM

Author Icon
pantz
Fanboi

Hello again, there was a small error on my previous post, when i went into my BIOS to drop the CPU voltage, it was already at 1.375v, i thought it was 1.44v.
I have turned off the cool and quiet, and i am now at 33-35C idle.
Previously i had tried to get my RAM to run at 1066, but i got the BSOD, so i am guessing i need to bump up the CPU voltage to 1.4v.? and or check the memories timing ?,
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5

And how long should i run the prime95 for?. and does it stress the CPU, or does it stress all the hardware in the machine?,

Thanks in advance

[URL=http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss118/Pantzdown/?action=view&current=8d459e3a.pbw][/URL]
 03/27/2012 03:26 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Your vcore may still be able to be dropped a bit, Prime95 will let you know for sure. The longer you run it the more it will let you know if you are stable or not, but I would say test at least an hour or two in between small incremental changes and one long test of 6 hours plus to see if your final OC goal is stable. Some recommend a longer test session of up to 24 hours but I don't necessarily believe in that philosophy. Yes, it does test your CPU as well as your NB and memory as they all, for all intents and purposes, work really close together.

For you RAM, not sure what to really tell you here. Being as it is DDR2 you most likely have a high stock voltage for them (say around 2.1v) so you may not be able to OC them much past their rated specs, but you could always try. Just bear in mind that one of the key readings that you must watch for when OC'ing is your temps. You don't want components to run too hot or they will break down and eventually burn up. When it comes to memory nobody makes a temp reading application for it, that I am aware of, so you have to resort to purchasing a separate temp reader to see how hot they are running and on top of that, you have to do some homework to see what the rated max temp and voltage threshold is for that specific model of RAM. That being said, just keep in mind that OC'ing your RAM is a do or die type of thing, you can burn them up rather quickly, so anything you do with a OC on your RAM is done at your own risk...... OK?....... OK!...... So, with AMD CPU's when OCing your RAM can best be described as a multiple front OC to gain you stability. You might need to bump your CPU vcore a tad, you will need to up your NB freq to roughly 2600Mhz that may require you to bump up your NB voltage (in the BIOS the NB that I am referring to here should be labeled as CPU/NB) just a tad until stable. You should manually set your stock RAM freq/voltage/timings (as per the sticker on your RAM sticks) within the BIOS and stress test at this point to see if you are stable, when you do get it stable you can then attempt to OC your RAM by loosening your Timings (making the number bigger) by one or two values (e.g. stock =7 loosen them to 9) then up your RAM freq to 1066 and see if it will boot. If it does then download Memtest86 and burn it to a disk and boot to that application and let it run. This bench will specifically tell you if your RAM is stable at your specific freq/voltage/timings. If it fails then you will need to bump up your RAM voltage (I would not go more than two ticks at a time) and retest. If it passes then you can begin attempting to tighten your timings (e.g. bring the timing values down one tick, say from 9 to 8) only do one of the timing values at a time so you can see what change caused you to become unstable if it fails the bench or will not post on start up.

Like I said, OC'ing RAM can be tricky so take your time and try to only make one change at a time then test so that you can better identify where you become stable or conversely unstable which will make it easier for you to correct. I would recommend that you do more research on OC'ing in general as well as specifically OC'ing your memory to learn different techniques as well as possibly running across others that have similar setups to you (or in the past since DDR2 is pretty outdated at this point) that may help you narrow down a good set of BIOS setting values that may work for you as well. Just remember, each component is different, even if you had two of the same CPU's one may OC better than the other so you really need to pay attention to your temperature threshold and voltage threshold limitations so that you don't damage your components.

Cheers and good luck!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 03/27/2012 at 03:33 PM by Canis-X
 03/27/2012 03:54 PM

Author Icon
pantz
Fanboi

Well thanks for that detailed explination Canis, it was very consise, i have had previous OC experiance with my old 920BE CPU, that was two years ago, so i understand it somewhat,

I was able to run the RAM at 1006 back then, so i dont see why i should not be able to run it at that speed now, i will check the specs again for the RAM.
I had the Machine shipped from the US to the UK and had the MB tested by Gigabyte,and the sent it back to me in the default condition,

I got a new PSU corsair 750W and the new CPU. so it basically a new machine exept for the RAM, I expect to do the prime95 test over weekend when i am not using the machine as much. and thanks for the great explination.

03/28/2012 12:01 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

No worries, hope that it helps more than it confuses. Post back and let us know how things go/are going.

Cheers!

03/28/2012 04:26 PM

Author Icon
pantz
Fanboi

ok i am back, lol , i am seeing some kind of issue, my CPU seems to be running at 2700Mhz for most of the day,
I just reset the motherboard to optimal defaults, and when i booted back up it ran for 3400Mhz for a minute and went back to 2700Mhz,
it has been doing that for a few days now, i thought it was to run at 3400Mhz,out of the box ? ,
unless i changed something, i have only change the fan speed to max

am i missing something ?

Thanks in advance.

03/28/2012 04:58 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Do you have Cool & Quiet enabled in the BIOS? Also, change your performance option the OS' control panel to Performance (default is balanced) should correct the issue.

03/28/2012 05:54 PM

Author Icon
pantz
Fanboi

Hello. OS is set to " high perfromance" and Cool an Quiet was Disabled. maybe the Optimum BIOS setting put it back to default, i will check and reset it to "Disabled"

I belive the CPU multiplier is also on auto, should i manually set it to X17 ?

Thanks.

03/29/2012 08:57 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

My personal preference is to reduce the amount of options set to "AUTO" as possible.

03/29/2012 01:19 PM

Author Icon
pantz
Fanboi

Hello again Everyone, i went into the BIOS and manually changed to Multiplier to X17 and the CPU is now running at 3415Mhz with an idle temp of 38-40C. Cool an Quiet is Disabled, and the CPU fan is running at full speed, i dont think it will trottle down now. i will let it run for a couple of days just to make sure.

I will further reduce the amount of "AUTO" setting after a day or two.

once again thanks Canis for helping.

03/30/2012 05:35 AM

Author Icon
pantz
Fanboi

Hello Again, i went into my BIOS and checked my RAM and CPU settings and i change my CPU voltage from 1.375v to 1.350, and i saved it, for some reason it did not take, also i have 2 different CPU voltage readings from CPUZ and Core temp, which one is the correct reading? or is core votage different than vid voltage ?, i thought they where the same ?

Thanks in advance

03/30/2012 08:59 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Hmmmm.....good question! I have personally seen where CPU-Z does not report the vcore correctly, so I would side with the Core Temp reading, but I also never use Core Temp so I don't know their track record on how accurate that application is either. If you have it set to 1.375V in the BIOS though then stick with the application that is reporting the vcore correctly.

03/30/2012 10:49 AM

Author Icon
pantz
Fanboi

Hello, i ran CPUZ again and its is telling me that it is 1.344, which should be correct, because i has manually set it to 1.350v in the BIOS, i brought it down from 1.375v, so i think CPUZ is the correct reading, so VID and "Core Voltage " is the same thing ?

03/30/2012 12:27 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Most likely they are. Now you need to do some Prime95 testing to ensure that it is stable with those settings. If it's not, then you will need to bump up your voltage and retest.

03/31/2012 11:40 AM

Author Icon
pantz
Fanboi

OK, I am ready to do some prime95 tests, what option should i use ? small FFT, Large FFT, blend, or custom, i am looking to stress it for an hour or so,

Thanks in advance.

04/01/2012 03:50 PM

Author Icon
pantz
Fanboi

Hello again, well i did a short two hour stabitity test ( during my nap lol) with AIDA64. with a room temp of 25C,
http://s567.photobucket.com/al...rent=stabilitytest.png

i was able to get a pretty decent OCing of 3716 at full load @ 1.350v for the two hour test. not to shabby i think.

here are the final results

i am not even going to try to get to 4.0Ghz, but i would like to possible run at 3.8Ghz.

I think i will be able to get to 3.8Ghz if i was to lower my CPU voltage to 1.300v, and a X19 multiplier, by the looks of my temps, i belive i do have a little head room to try the 3.8Ghz

04/03/2012 11:36 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Originally posted by: pantz

OK, I am ready to do some prime95 tests, what option should i use ? small FFT, Large FFT, blend, or custom, i am looking to stress it for an hour or so,

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I have been out-of-pocket lately....been battling the flu....ugg.

I would recommend you use blend (for prime95) and if you intend on this being your final OC test for roughly 6 hours.....if this is an incremental test and you intend on OC'ing further then an hour (or two) will do you fine. Another way that you can quickly test out an OC is to use hyperPi (all 4 cores) and choose the 32M test option. If it doesn't fail any of your cores this is a good way to prove stability.

....looking solid so far....good job and keep up the good work! I would next try bumping your multi at the same vcore and test again to see if it is still stable. If not, bump your vcore a notch or two and retest. Remember to keep an eye on your temps, 62C is the rated MAX temp threshold on those CPU's. Also remember, most everything that you do on a daily basis will not even come close to using as much of your CPU as these benchmarks will so running in the upper 50's C does not mean that you will be running anywhere near that in daily usage.

Cheers!

04/03/2012 04:17 PM

Author Icon
pantz
Fanboi

Welcome back Canis, i hope you are feeling much better, while you were away i was playing around a bit, and on Tuesday morning i did this.

i attempted to go to 3.8 @ 1.30v. the system booted up but failed to get to the desktop had a black screen, restarted the machine and bumped up the CPU to 1.370v (normal voltage) and i was able to get to the desktop,

there was maybe a 2 degree increase in temp, but that was because i had the machine on before i attempted to go to 3.8Ghz, not from a cold overnight boot, i am happy with the 3.8Ghz for now, idle temps are at 35C, i might try 4.0Ghz at some point in the future

i have been running at 3.8 @ 1.375v(normal voltage) since tuesday after and have not had a issue so far, i intend to do some more stress testing over the weekend, but i have played a few of the newer games (BF3) for a few hours at a time and every thing seems to be holding up so far,

i am very happy with where i am now, i can most likely get to 4.0 without to much effort, but i am settling for where i am at now

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
GPU Clock: 672 MHz 1200 MHz 1450 MHz
Default Clock: 576 MHz 999 MHz 1242 MHz
Overclock: +17% +20% 17%

CPU AMD 2x4 965BE
Multiplier Voltage Temp
Default Core speed 3415.93 X17 1.350v 33C
OC Core speed 3817.41 X19 1.360v 38C
percentage increase 11.76%

not to shabby huh ?

thanks for your help Canis

04/03/2012 04:23 PM

Author Icon
NemesisChild
ROGue Warrior

1.375v is about right for a 3.8GHz overclock with a 955/965.
Once you go above 3.8GHz, these Denab chips require susbstantially more Vcore to run stable.
BF3 is both CPU & GPU demanding/intensive and may require slight bumps in both voltages to run stable.

Just noticed that you have a 260, locked GPU voltage control I'm afraid.

Phenom II X6 1100T B.E.@ 4.26GHz
Corsair H70 Core Hydro
ASUS Crosshair V Formula
2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1894MHz, 9-10-9-28
SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Corsair HX850W Modular
Cooler Master HAF 922
2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information