Increase font size
Topic Title: Stock Fan......Phenom II x4 965 BE
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/29/2012 02:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/29/2012 02:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lurker

Good morning everyone.........I'll be getting, via mail today, an AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition with an ASRock 880GM-LE motherboard. This will be my first build by myself......the previous 2 builds I made, I cheated, I had a company or a tech to install the processor onto the motherboard......I'm gonna get my feet wet finally and do this myself!!

What I need to know is should I use the stock fan/heatsink from the retail box or should I upgrade to an aftermarket cooler? And the same goes for the thermal-paste, if I use the stock fan/heatsink should I apply a little extra thermal paste (like Arctic Silver 5 Compund)?.....a month ago I watched as a pc tech in Fargo ND upgraded my AMD APU A4-3400 PCU to an A8-3850, and he put just a dab of Arctic 5 besides what was on the stock fan.

Jimmy

SPECS: AMD APU A8-3850 2.9GHz; PNY Optima 8gbs 2x4gbs DDR3 RAM; ASRock A55M-HVS motherboard; VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 5670 2gbs DDR3 PCIe x16 video card; CoolMax V600 600 Watt PSU; WD 750gbs Caviar Black 7200rpm 64mbs cache SATA internal HDD; LiteON DVD+/-RW iHAS324 Optical Drive; Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Full Retail Version
 03/31/2012 03:07 PM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

Hi,
If you are still checking your post after two days with no response, I'll offer my thoughts to your question. In my opinion, there are really only two reasons to replace the stock cooler / fan assembly.

Reason 1: You are going to overclock and need the extra cooling offered by an aftermarket heatsink / fan.

Reason 2: The stock fan is just too noisy. Before you replace the stock HSF due to noise though, try to enable any CPU fan speed control you may have in your bios to a lower setting. This can often bring noise levels down to acceptable levels. However, make sure you also keep an eye on your CPU temperature to verify that any lower fan speed is not resulting in unacceptably high temperatures.

Personally, I have always had good performance in both cooling and in noise levels when using the stock cooler supplied with AMD CPU's.

As for the thermal paste, the pre-applied paste from the manufacturer will really be sufficient. There is no reason to add more paste if the heatsink already has a layer on it.

Let us know how you did with your first CPU installation. Did you find it went together easily or was it more difficult than you thought? Best of luck.

Cheers.

-------------------------
 03/31/2012 10:10 PM

Author Icon
Lurker

RBR.....THANX for the response.......I installed the Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition yesterday and it was much easier than I imagined. The stock fan of the Phenom II x4 955 is the same type, so I felt kinda "at-home" installing the 965. It went easy and fun.
I remember in August 2001 I opened-up my Compaq Presario 5001SR Desktop and how scared I was trying to remove a 64mb memory stick and put in 2x256mb sticks -_-_-_-but installing the pcu yesterday was fun.
Actually, the directions on the owner's guide from the AMD cpu retail box really simplify's the steps.

Jimmy
 03/31/2012 11:19 PM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

Hi Jimmy. Thanks for posting back and I am glad the CPU installation went well for you. It is a lot fun building / upgrading your own system but I know it can be a little intimidating at first. Good job and enjoy that new Phenom II 965. It is a nice processor.

Cheers.

-------------------------

Edited: 03/31/2012 at 11:31 PM by RBR
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information