AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Would this be a worthwhile upgrade - X6 1055T to a 975 Black Edition
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/01/2012 03:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/01/2012 03:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
fredp
Lurker

Two year old system. Want to keep my costs down on what I intend to change. Would you consider a 975 BE an upgrade or more of a lateral change? By specs it is faster. On Tom's Hardware CPU comparisons charts nothing(at least obvious to me) jumps out as a reason to change but I suspect its more my lack of knowledge than anything else.
I use the system for normal day to day usage and games. Graphics card is a 5770.

Thanks _Fred
 04/03/2012 11:27 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

That would not be an upgrade, but rather a down grade IMHO. You can OC the 1055T to match the 975BE frequency without even needing to up your vcore. Stick with what you have currently. If you want to upgrade anything, purchase a new graphics card or purchase another 5770 and crossfire them.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 04/03/2012 03:38 PM

Author Icon
fredp
Lurker

Thanks for the response Canis-X. I've never done overclocking before. I would like to try doing it in baby steps. Which values would you suggest I tweak if I can ask you? The mb is a Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3. As for the graphics card I thought to upgrade to a 6870. Price is right.

Thanks _Fred
 04/03/2012 08:52 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Baby steps is the best way to start. The first question for you is, are you using the stock cooler on your CPU? If the answer is yes, then do not go any farther with your OC'ing interests until you upgrade to a quality after market cooler (http://benchmarkreviews.com/in...=view&id=447&Itemid=62). The reason I ask is because the stock cooler that comes with the CPU is only designed/engineered to handle the CPU at stock settings, if you want to go faster that means you will be running hotter and will need a CPU cooler that is designed to handle the extra thermal load.

If you aren't using the stock cooler or you have now replaced it Please read through this thread. It is full of useful information and instructions that have been already typed out by some very knowledgeable people.....saves me the trouble of rehashing.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 04/04/2012 12:25 PM

Author Icon
fredp
Lurker

Yep running the stock fan... So I will put a new cooler on the list! Will read your suggested thread.

Again thanks!

_Fred
 04/04/2012 04:58 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

No worries! Let us know how it goes!

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information