Topic Title: AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION CPU Temps
Topic Summary: Having hi temps with a ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
Created On: 05/30/2008 12:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/18/2009 03:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JC
Elite

Originally posted by: Herb.Oxley

I have an AMD Phenom 9850 BE on an ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI motherboard and have noticed the temperature reading provided by ASUS PC-Probe II is about 4°C. hotter than the one in AMD Overdrive CPU Status.

It would be nice if people could mention AMBIENT temperature along with their CPU temps.

Something I've noticed about this setup is when sustained CPU load on all 4 cores goes to about 75-80% the processor "downshifts" to Vcore of 1.10v ( from 1.30v) and MHZ of 1250; is this the action of Cool n Quiet or is it something else?

With an ambient temp of about 81°F. (27°C.) I have AMD Overdrive reporting on light load 41°C. and PC-Probe II says 44°C.

To be fair I'm using an old Supermicro full-tower case with the side door open for now until I can do some metalwork on the top cover to add a fan or 2.

Now I'm running a down-and-dirty stress test of a virus scan, WinZip and ALzip making 2 very large files.

PC Probe II says 49-50°C. while AMD OD bounces around between 43-51°C.

System details:

ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI motherboard

AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition 2.5 GHz (not currently overclocked)

4 GB (4 x 1 GB) Crucial DDR 800 MHz memory

Seagate X15 (15000 rpm) 18 GB hard drive (system disk)

WD 3200JB 320 GB IDE drive

ATI integrated video

RealTek integrated Ethernet and audio

PC Power & Cooling 500 W PSU

Windows XP Professional SP3 (32-bit)

Supermicro full-tower case (vintage ca. 2000)

I realize that I don't have the same rigs as you guys here but I run 24/7 at 3.939Ghz and under load my temps are lower than most of your idle temps... We need to get all of your temp down so prolong the life of your CPU's..

Ok buddy.. Here are my idle temps on my rig with ambient temp as well.... specs are in my sig..
PC Probe..
Ambient temp..

Thats 60 degree Fahrenheit = 15.5555556 degree Celsius ambient air temp..

Overdrive..

Well I figured part of the problem. I'm a retard. I put the ZALMAN on backwards so it was blowing the hot air away from my exit fan. My CPU is running at 43 to 45 C idle, and is at about 50 C under load. I do think I need some more air flow however. I'm thinking of moding the side of my case to fit in a huge 220 mm fan.

HAHA.. That will do it.. GO for it on the Case Mod!!! And when your done lets see some pics.. Check These out..

Zalman is not a great company for CPU cooling IMO.

As for Zalman not making good CPU coolers I have heard mixed reviews on them.. But I got mine for free and have yet to see someone with a compairable rig running as cool as mine.. But everything performs differently for different people and CPU's and MB's, ect....

I use the stock cooler and mine idles at 50c, under load it goes up to 57c. as it causes no problems I have not bothered with an after market cooler.

Those are some really high temp and WILL cause probs over time.. I would really look into some better cooling If you want that CPU to last you...

Sorry for the very long reply.. wanted to get it all out in one shot

Aslo some of you may want to check this link out.. I see a lot of you are using artic 5 TIM ( I personally use OCZ Freeze) and this is a good guide on how to properly install it.. Keep in mind tat Artic 5 has a 200 Hr break in period.. good luck to all!!!

-------------------------

Edited: 12/18/2009 at 03:48 PM by JC
 12/24/2009 09:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sgtfoo
Fanboi

Originally posted by: Pauul_

I also have a AMD Phenom Black edition...but mine runs at 47 degrees at idle..and up to 56 degrees when playing modern warfare 2...is that normal ???

i have 1 cooling fan(cooler master real power pro 650w) at the back..

http://pizza.pixa.us/images/18613383/%20untitled

That's odd, but not uncommon. I've had my setup (in my sig) for a few years now (since when the 9850BE was released) and I'm using a Zalman 9700NT cooler. I overclock to 2.6Ghz and the core voltage is 1.2v right now (also c'n'q disabled). My temps, with 2 case fans, both at 1500 RPM, are:
idle: 39 - 42 celcius
heavy use: 46 - 49 celcius

Your "1 cooling fan" (cooler master real power pro 650w) is your power supply, NOT a cooling fan for your case. Look inside your case and measure the size of fans you can fit in there for entry air at the front and exit air at the rear. Seems like you need some airflow to lower your CPU temps. What case do you have?

-------------------------
> SgtFoo <
Antec P183; AMD PhenII x6 1100T 3.7Ghz @ 1.4v + Antec Kuhler 620; Asus M3A78-T; OCZ 4x2GB RAM; 3x500GB SATA2 7200RPM HDDs; Asus Radeon HD6850 1GB video; 4x120mm Scythe S-Flex 1600RPM fans; Corsair TX750w PSU; Win7Pro x64/ F17 x64
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information