AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD K10 - Phenom Overclocking Guide!
Topic Summary: Best Phenom OverClocking Guide!
Created On: 06/20/2008 08:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/03/2008 03:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Super XP
Deprecated

Originally posted by: Phenomenaloverclocker

Originally posted by: kazgirl

Same thing here.... on an Asus M3A32-MVP mobo..

2.9Ghz stable with a straight forward multi and voltage increase...havn't tried the FSB yet... 14.5x is max multi, so far.... taken it up to 1.45v but still not stable over 14.5x.

14.5x is 24/7 full load stable at 1.375v...

Have got water cooling so may see if higher than 1.45v is possible for a stable 3.0Ghz+ but I've been a bit tied up for a while...so havn't had a chance (or desire..!!) to try.....maybe when I feel a little better... [IMG][/IMG]

So I would agree with Phenomenal....

Probaly just that you didn't get lucky with your CPU and that 2.63Ghz is your max.... either that or maybe a cooling or voltage issue......!!

To further highlight the point I was making:

A guy who posted on that batch thread has exactly the same batch 9850 as me and he only acheived 2.7Ghz and he was using watercooling! He was using an MSI board though. When I read his result I feared the worst for myself knowing my CPU was the same batch. Using air cooling I thought I would prbably only acheive a maximum overclock similar to yours. Thankfully that turned out not to be the case.

Another bloke who posts frequenty over on Xtremesystems is Oldguy932. He owns several Phenoms and he has manged to get one of his Phenom 9600s to 3Ghz!!

What kind of heatsink/fan are you using SuperXP?

I am using OCZ Vendetta.

Same here, I too am using the OCZ Vendetta and I love it. I don't have a heat problem because my Phenom runs really cool even when I crank up the volts. I still think its the Gigabyte mobo, maybe a newer Bios Update will do the trick, I will keep you all posted once Gigabyte releases a newer bios.

I will also play with AMD Overdrive.

-------------------------
AMD FX 8120 @ 4.40GHz (8-Cores)
Asus Crosshair V
G-Skill RipJaw DDR3-1866 16GB (4 x 4GB)
Corsair H100
Corsair 180GB SSD Force Series 3
Windows 7 Ult. x64
 07/03/2008 03:15 PM

Author Icon
Super XP
Deprecated

Originally posted by: Phenomenaloverclocker

I've actually run into a weird problem with my DQ6. I got it back from RMA this week (it arrived dead). It works fine now but I am having problems with BIOS settings that are not competely dissimilar to yours. You've had this board much longer than I. Perhaps you can shed some light. I will copy/paste what I have posted elsewhere.

I am using an AMD Pheom 9850 Black edition and a 600W power supply.

RAM: 4x 1GB PC2-6400 Corsair CMT2X1024-6400C4

I am using BIOS F5 and Windows XP Professional SP2 32bit.

I've just been trying some overclocking using Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T) in BIOS and have encountered some strange things. I have managed to increase the CPU multiplier and Vcore successfully.

I have tried to change the memory controller settings. I changed the multiplier from auto to 11. That should give it a frequency of 2200Mhz. I saved to CMOS and it restarted no problem there.

When I got into windows CPU-Z, AMD Powermonitor and CPU Brain identifier all registered it at the default frequency 2000Mhz instead of the expected 2200Mhz. When I changed the intergrated memory controller voltage in the BIOS it registered correctly in AMD powermonitor.

I also wanted to increase the voltage of my RAM in order for it to run at its EPP timings of 4-4-4-12 at 2.1v. When set to auto it gives 1.8V and registers as 1.856V in the PC Health screen. I increased the RAM voltage by 0.250V. Next to DDR2 Voltage control it changed to show 2.10. I hit F10 to save to CMOS and it restarted no problem. However when I go back into BIOS and look at the PC Health screen it is still showing 1.856v. Even though on the M.I.T screen voltage control is still showing and increase of 0.25v equalling 2.10v.

When I boot to Windows Everest sensor shows a Vdimm of 1.86V. I don't understand this at all. As my RAM has an EPP profile so I enabled the EPP mode and EPP Voltage. When I booted to Windows the result was the same. The voltage was still being read as 1.86 and the timings were still 5-5-5-18.

If the changes I was making was causing the motherboard to fail to POST I could understand that maybe it doesn't like the changes. However it has never failed to POST and the settings are still there in BIOS as I have changed them. It's only the are not recognised in Windows. The operating system boots fine but when I use tools to check the settings I changed in BIOS they are still at the defaults.

Can someone please offer some explanation?

Thanks.

Most motherboards will auto default to 1.8v for DDR2 memory just so it can remain 100% stable. Then once you get into the bios you should be able to change the volts to its specified 2.1v.

But it sort of sounds like we have similar problems. Most of the time the BIOS will not save my settings and I too am using the F5 bios.

Gigabyte better resolve this annoyance ASAP with updated bios. I also found problems when OC'ing, the back-up bios kicks in and replaced my F5 with the default bios. The problem with this is the default bios do not recognize the 9850BE. I gave CRAP to Gigabytes Tech support for this stupidity because we cannot update the back-up bios, only they can via special bios update. So I had to back pedal and update my bios with the F3 which also updates the back-up, then from F3 I went to F5. But in order for me to do this I was forced to buy a cheap priced AM2 Athlon 64 3200+ just to boot into the bios.

Make sure you have enough power going to the CPU. I use a 750W Corsair power supply, I am sure 600W is fine, but I used to have the OCZ's 550W power supply and that was not enough power for my CPU and HD 3870 graphics card, this is why I was forced to upgrade.
I will keep you all posted.

Asus Crosshair V
Corsair H100
Windows 7 Ult. x64
 07/08/2008 10:13 PM

Author Icon
Phenomenaloverclocker

Same here, I too am using the OCZ Vendetta and I love it.

I think the OCZ is a good cooler but and a big but: I think the clip for AM2/AM2+ is terrible.
I line it up in the grooves and clip the end without the switch first as per the instructions. I then clip the end with the switch and everything is fine up until that point. Whenever I flip the switch the clip always tilts and bends over. Sometimes it actually makes the cooler move and the some of the CPU is exposed. I can never get it to stay straight and within the grooves unless I don't flip the switch.

Did you have any trouble with it? What's the secret? I ask because you and I have the same motherboard too.

Phenom 9850 Black edition
Gigabyte MA-GA790FX-DQ6
OCZ Vendetta heatsink and fan.
4x1GB Corsair PC2-6400C4 RAM.
Gigabyte nVidia 8800GT
Thermaltake Silver soprano case.
Solytech 600W Power supply
Windows XP SP2 32bit.
 07/08/2008 10:21 PM

Author Icon
Phenomenaloverclocker

About the PSUs is an extra 50W (over your OCZ 550W) really that big a difference??

Yeah you are right we do have slightly different but similar problems. Some real quirks with this motherboard.
I can't say I've seen mine fail to save BIOS settings or just decide to revert to the backup BIOS.

I would be inclined to think it was just flaws in the BIOS causing these instabilities if others were getting these problems too. If it was a faulty BIOS then everybody would seeing the same things.

Have you considered requesting a Return Merchandise Authorisation (RMA) number and sending the motherboard back for repair/replacement??

Gigabyte MA-GA790FX-DQ6
Gigabyte nVidia 8800GT
Windows XP SP2 32bit.
 07/08/2008 10:34 PM

Author Icon
Super XP
Deprecated

RMA? I talked to Gigabyte tech and they told me if I continue to have problems send it back for repairs. I will wait it out until the next bios update comes out.

I have 750W power supply. I used to have a 550W but that was not enough power for my system. Your power supply will only draw power when required. So when gaming I am pretty sure my system sucks back at least 580W.

The OCZ Vendetta is a great cooler but the clips are sort of tricky. It took me some time to get it right. I had the same problems just as you. I just took my time and made sure nothing was in my way when I installed it.

Asus Crosshair V
Corsair H100
Windows 7 Ult. x64
 07/09/2008 04:10 AM

Author Icon
lochsloyca

Hi. Sorry to thread jump here but I am experiencing similar problems with the gigabyte 790fx DQ6. I am pretty new to overclocking AMD and was doing alright until one of the cores on my 9600 decided to die (well the BSOD "2nd clock interrupt..." message, but it would still boot). To make a long story short (getting it tested at a local pc store) I got a 9850 to replace the 9600 but now neither chip will post! After reading your post (and one others) it might be just the BIOS setting and getting a cheap AM2 chip will make it boot again? I am far too stubborn to RMA just yet and seeing that it worked for you I will get one tomorrow . Thanks for the invaluable posting above guys , this has been a major pain to figure out.

AMD Phenom 9850BE/9600BE stock
Gigabyte MA790FX DQ6
OCZ Platinum Dual Channel DDR2-800 1X2GB rev2 (4-5-4-15)
HIS Radeon HD 3870 IceQIII, 512MB GDDR4 stock
750W PC Power&Cooling Silencer
Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit
 07/09/2008 12:11 PM

Author Icon
Super XP
Deprecated

Originally posted by: lochsloyca

Hi. Sorry to thread jump here but I am experiencing similar problems with the gigabyte 790fx DQ6. I am pretty new to overclocking AMD and was doing alright until one of the cores on my 9600 decided to die (well the BSOD "2nd clock interrupt..." message, but it would still boot). To make a long story short (getting it tested at a local pc store) I got a 9850 to replace the 9600 but now neither chip will post! After reading your post (and one others) it might be just the BIOS setting and getting a cheap AM2 chip will make it boot again? I am far too stubborn to RMA just yet and seeing that it worked for you I will get one tomorrow [IMG][/IMG]. Thanks for the invaluable posting above guys [IMG][/IMG], this has been a major pain to figure out.

AMD Phenom 9850BE/9600BE stock

Gigabyte MA790FX DQ6

OCZ Platinum Dual Channel DDR2-800 1X2GB rev2 (4-5-4-15)

HIS Radeon HD 3870 IceQIII, 512MB GDDR4 stock

750W PC Power&Cooling Silencer

Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit

You are right, the same happend to me. It's too bad you didn't have your 9600 so that you can just update the bios to F3, which includes an update for the back-up bios also, then after that is done restart your PC and continue to update the bios with the newest one called F5.

After you perform the F3 bios update your bios should be able to at least display the page needed to perform an update just in case your back-up bios needs to kick in.

I was forced to buy a AM2 CPU just to update my bios when I bought the motherboard. Gigabyte is stupid for making people buy CPU's just to update.

And same here, I am just too busy to RMA right now, unless I really have to I will try to solve the issues first. Hopefully the next F6 bios update will include a built in back-up bios update also or Gigabyte truly does not care about the end user.

This is my first time buying a Gigabyte product and it may be my last unless they fix this problem with the mobo.

Asus Crosshair V
Corsair H100
Windows 7 Ult. x64
 07/09/2008 03:38 PM

Author Icon
Phenomenaloverclocker

No problem and welcome lochsloyca.

When I got my motherboard it was dead on arrival. No POST no beep. Just a permanent black screen. I requested an RMA and sent it to Gigabyte. Very fast turnaround (Gigabyte received it on a Thursday and I got it back on the Monday)
I put my Phenom 9850 in straight away. It was fixed and POSTed successfully. I was very surpised that it POSTed as it had BIOS F4 on it. I flashed to F3 then F5. I didn't need to pull my other AM2 CPU out of the other PC. It was only when I had got it to boot that I discovered the other problems.

If your 9600 was working fine before then presumably you had BIOS F4 or later.
Perhaps you have a similar problem to Super XP and your main BIOS is being overwritten by the backup BIOS which doesn't support either. I know it's a pain but try another AM2 chip which is supported by the F1 BIOS. I also recommend contacting Gigabyte through their Global technical service on their website. http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/gtsemail.asp click new question.

I have been exchanging messages with Gigabyte for the past 4/5 days. They have no idea why I can't increase RAM voltage. I have tried all their suggestions and am waiting for them to get back to me.
Today they gave me a beta BIOS F6b which fixes the memory controller problem. I don't know if it fixes other things or is more stable. Perhaps it is worth a try.
I can now properly change memory controller multiplier to 11. It rightly registers the frequency at 2200Mhz. I tried 12x and 2400Mhz but I couldn't get to Windows. Perhaps the memory controller needs more volts. Shame we can only decrease its voltage in BIOS. After I got memory controller to 2200Mhz I tried to increase Hypertransport to 2200Mhz in BIOS. It does not increase hypertransport.

If anyone wants the beta F6b BIOS just let me know.

Gigabyte MA-GA790FX-DQ6
Gigabyte nVidia 8800GT
Windows XP SP2 32bit.
 07/09/2008 06:17 PM

Author Icon
Super XP
Deprecated

I would have assumed if you RMA your motherboard wouldn't Gigabyte update the backup bios on your motherboard? Doesn't that make sense? I would have thought they would have updated both the back up and the regular bios for you to make sure it will work 100%.

Anyway just an observation of mine.

And yes I wouldn't mind the beta F6 bios. Do you have any clue as to when the non-beta F6 version is going to be released?

Asus Crosshair V
Corsair H100
Windows 7 Ult. x64
 07/09/2008 06:48 PM

Author Icon
Phenomenaloverclocker

It's funny you say that.
I had no idea which BIOS was on the motherboard. I enclosed a letter asking them to flash it F3 then to F5. They didn't. When I spoke to someone from Gigabyte on the phone they said it was standard procedure to update to the latest BIOS.

Luckily for me it worked with F4 on it anyway otherwise I would have to had to take the Opteron out of another PC.

http://rapidshare.com/files/12...79xdq6.f6b.html
Let me know how you get on with it.

That's the link for the F6B BIOS. I have absolutely no idea when the F6 BIOS will be officially released. I hope they fix it before the release it though.

Gigabyte MA-GA790FX-DQ6
Gigabyte nVidia 8800GT
Windows XP SP2 32bit.
 07/09/2008 11:11 PM

Author Icon
Super XP
Deprecated

Thanks.
Looks like somebody at Gigabyte was not doing their job right. Or maybe at the time F4 was the only bios available? Or maybe not because you wrote them a letter.

Asus Crosshair V
Corsair H100
Windows 7 Ult. x64
 07/10/2008 02:58 AM

Author Icon
lochsloyca

Thanks for the beta link Phenomenaloverclocker (POC) . Unfortunately the AM2 chip did nothing , so I am RMAing the board tomorrow, hopefully it will come back in proper working order. Here's to hoping Gigabyte get it right

Cheers
 07/10/2008 10:33 AM

Author Icon
Phenomenaloverclocker

It was only 2 weeks ago that I did the RMA. F5 was already out then. You're right. Someone not doing their job.
Have you tried overclocking with another operating system. I have heard some say that they get better results in Windows XP. If you have a hard drive with XP on it maybe give that a go.

lochsloyca When you press the power button do you just get a permananet black screen? Fans come on, monitor in standby mode? If so then it sounds exactly like how mine was when I got it. Good luck with the RMA.

Gigabyte MA-GA790FX-DQ6
Gigabyte nVidia 8800GT
Windows XP SP2 32bit.

Edited: 07/10/2008 at 10:40 AM by Phenomenaloverclocker
 07/10/2008 02:19 PM

Author Icon
Super XP
Deprecated

I am only using Vista x64. I never had a problem with my Socket 939 Athlon 64 with OC'ing on Vista x64. I got really good results but then again I was using a DFI LapParty nForce 4 mobo.

I might try out Windows XP, but I will need another drive to install it on. I'm not that keen on partitioning my drives at the moment.

I also updated my bios from F5 to F6b. The funny think now is my settings don't auto default to stock anymore, but at the same time when I attempt to OC it just freezes at the Vista screen. So once again I am still stuck between 2.60 GHz to 2.65 GHz regardless of how much voltage I apply.

I am quite happy with 2.63GHz though despite the fact the 9850 Black Edition was meant to OC well.

Asus Crosshair V
Corsair H100
Windows 7 Ult. x64
 07/10/2008 06:32 PM

Author Icon
lochsloyca

POC: Regarding the power up phase, the fans etc would come on but no posting, just the black screen/standby mode . Hopefully it will all work out and they'll send me one that works haha.
P.S. How long did it take for them to return the motherboard?

Super XP: Regarding OCing with a different OS, I had less trouble with vista 32 bit initially, but the main problem wasn't the OC ceiling, as I got it (9600) up 2.8 using the AMD AOD (just manipulating the multiplier incrementally) tool until one of the cores on my 9600 went kaput (the famous 3rd core, perhaps my own fault no?), the other three were perfectly fine, I think I would have been happier if the entire CPU went instead of the one core, that way I would know it was limited to itself, not just a weak core....but I hear you can make tricores these days . Sorry to hear about the BIOS problems , I do hope that it will be resolved for you in the official release .
 07/11/2008 06:39 AM

Author Icon
Phenomenaloverclocker

Your motherboard sounds the same as mine was. Does your RMA allow for repair or replacement or is it just repair only?
Very fast turnaround. They received the motherboard on a Thursday and I received it back on the Monday 4 days later. Let's hope that they test yours more thoroughly and not just treat the symptoms. I.E Motherboard does not POST - replace component- Motherboard now POSTS- Problem solved.

Super XP:
At least F6b is not resetting your CMOS settings now.
Which frequency is your memory controller/CPU northbridge running at?

Gigabyte MA-GA790FX-DQ6
Gigabyte nVidia 8800GT
Windows XP SP2 32bit.
 07/11/2008 07:19 PM

Author Icon
lochsloyca

Unfortunately POC it looks like it is a repair RMA, not good eh? Well I'll hope for the best
 07/12/2008 12:04 AM

Author Icon
Super XP
Deprecated

Oh BOY, now I have new problems. I ended up with a 2.78 GHz OC 100% (1.392v) stable via AMD OverDrive. I ran Prime 95 for over 1hr. I did not want to push my luck with 2.80 GHz just yet.

I said to myself, let me tinker with the good old bios.
So I then went into the BIOS to OC with the exact same settings as in AMD's OverDrive. Well what do you know the DARN BIOS is once again re-setting the HTT speed. But now its also re-setting my DDR2 volts and my DDR2 speed. So now I am stuck with DDR2-800 at 1.8v along with HTT(FSB) at 200MHz.

The way I calculated 2.78 GHz was CPU Multi 13.5 x HTT(FSB) 205 = 2.78 GHz

So since I cannot change the HTT nor the DDR2 speed I am stuck with an OC of 2.71 GHz 100% stable via BIOS unless I go into AMD OverDrive, then I can get around 2.78 GHz.

It's sort of funny because I cannot get 2.63 GHz anymore, the BIOS won't let me do this anymore. My DDR2 memory at stock is 1000MHz, so now I am forced to run it at 800MHz but with a CPU clock increase from 2.63GHz to 2.71GHz

Oh Well, hopefully Gigabyte comes out with a bios update to fix all the problems we are all having LOL

Asus Crosshair V
Corsair H100
Windows 7 Ult. x64
 07/12/2008 06:55 PM

Author Icon
lochsloyca

Hey man sorry to hear about the problems , wow that sounds like a headache. I'm not sure if I will be helping here but I left my ram at stock speeds/what ever the MB decided to clock it to, left the HT alone as well, just tweaked the multiplier (a little voltage increase too I think), hehe its been a while. Did you disable cool and quiet? Don't know if this helps at all lol! I havn't tried OCing with the 9850's yet, once I get my board back perhaps I can post my results . But hey I hear ya I think we're all hoping Gigabyte comes up with a/some miracle driver(s)

Cheers
 07/12/2008 11:06 PM

Author Icon
Super XP
Deprecated

The only way I can get to 2.78 GHz stable via bios is by changing my HTT speed from 200 to 205 along with the right CPU multi. But no luck it keeps on resetting for some reason.

I am very happy with my DDR2-1000 memory running at DDR2-800 for now so long as I get a good CPU OC.

So for now I will stick with a 2.71 GHz OC up from 2.63 GHz. This new beta bios version "F6b" did seen to get me a little more CPU OC speed which is a good thing, means Gigabyte is sort of working out the problems, but its just too bad I don't have total control with the overall bios.

Really looking forward to a new bios version. F6b has hope over F5 but not without its quicks.

Asus Crosshair V
Corsair H100
Windows 7 Ult. x64
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information