Increase font size
Topic Title: X4 9650 contradicting frecuency
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/02/2008 11:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/02/2008 11:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
xennie

Hello,

Today I installed AMD overdrive on my pc and i found something very weird.. when in novice mode system information claims my core speed is 2.3ghz (as it should be) when going to status monitor CPU status, again each cores runs at 2.3 ghz with a multiplier of 11.5

HOWEVER

when going to advanced mode it showed me my core speed was 1.1ghz, at status monitor it also said 1.1ghz with a mulitplier of 5.(7)5

i have no idea how this is happening because when checking later everything was fine again in novice as well as advanced mode.. the time after that advanced mode again gave 1.1ghz and multiplier 5.(7)5 (core 0 was at 5.5 and others where at 5.75)

either i am doing something wrong, i have no idea, but i am also scared to shift the multiplier back to 11.5 for fear of doing something wrong (it is a brand new pc)..

does anybody have any idea what is going on here?

and a few more final questions, when i got to autoclock start, reset and apply settings are greyed out, secondly the multiplier can't go past 11.5 is this right? i thought the way to OC a system was increasing the mulitplier.. or am i doing something wrong here? and my final question:

in novice mode i can not move the slider of performance control to a higher level (you know the slider from default to high performance) it just won't move, while in advanced the only slider i can move is the one for cpu multiplier..

thank you in advance for reading and hopefully awnsering my questions
 12/02/2008 12:06 PM

Author Icon
cvsi3
Elite

As far as the changing multiplier, its most likely because you have Cool n Quiet on, it throttles the cpu, slows it down to reduce heat while the cpu is not beint used. and then pushs it up as needed to run programs and whatnot. it can usually be turned off within the bios.

As far as the overclocking goes, unless you have a Black Edition cpu the multiplier cannot be raised past 11.5. it can only go down. if you want to overclock it, you would have to slowly start raising the bus speed. which from default is set at 200mhz. raise it slowly and test for stability, then raise it more, and test again. it can be a long process. once you hit an unstable point, lower it down to the last known stable point. also keep an eye on the temps.

-------------------------
i7 2600K - Asus Maximus Extreme-Z - G.Skill DDR3 2133 CL9 - MSI 5870 - Corsair 1200w PSU - 2 x Western Digital Raptors Raid 0 - Swiftech Apogee XT Water Block - Swiftech MCP655 Pump - 120mm Quad Rad - Windows 7 - Ubuntu x64

5311Mhz Validation
 12/02/2008 12:46 PM

Author Icon
xennie

ok thank you very much, regarding the temps when raising the bus speed, what would be the safest temp to overclock to before having to add extra ways of cooling?

also should i take into account for example while playing games the tempature rises to a very high temp? i never checked the temperature while the cpu really has to work (while playing games like crysis for example) when doing very few things the temp is around 41-42 degrees celcius, so to what extent can i let the temp rise before it becomes unsafe to don't use extra cooling?

(off-topic, only relevant if you might be able to awnser it, my hd4850 has a temp of 75 degrees celcius, this seems very high to me, but maybe i am wrong, any thoughts?)

thanks again
 12/02/2008 12:50 PM

Author Icon
piotter1988

I wouldn't recommend OC'ing at all without first buying an after market CPU cooler

-------------------------
Core i7 920 @ 3.486 GHz (for now)
Cooled by Zalman 9700 LED - will be when i get the bracket
Gigabyte EX58 - Extreme
6 GB (3 x 2) Corsair XMS DDR3 - 1333
8800 GTS XXX