Increase font size
Topic Title: x6 1090T + Noctua ND-H14 issue
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/11/2010 07:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/11/2010 07:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mitnal
Lurker

The issue at hand is that the CPU keeps running hot, even so hot that it becomes unstable. I know this is a topic that get's asked about allot, but i haven't been able to find information regarding mine so i hope you guys can help me out

For stability testing i use wPrime, LinX, Prime95 and Intelburn, which for the most part hits over 60 degrees (except for wPrime ) and 40 degrees idle.
It seems to me that during the stress testing the temp wont settle down, skyrockets and then keeps climbing till +60. Duo to this I haven't been able to get a pass at LinX that way (15 calculations max).

Additional info:

1090T oc'd @ 4.0 Ghz x20multi 1.5 Vcore 3000mhz nb @ 1.33 V
4 Gb DDR3 running at 1600 8-8-8-24-1T (stable)
Asrock 890FX Deluxe 3
Antec TP-750 PSU
GTX460 1GB
Coolermaster Stacker 830 (Good airflow + side open during testing)
Noctua ND-H14 cpu cooler

My mainboard seems to have certain issue's to provide stable overclocks above 3.8 mhz without increasing the vcore to high value's compared to other mb's out there. I have seen reports that have the same board that run this cpu @ 4.2 ghz thou.. so that seems promising at least... (of course every chip is different etc)

I had a Scythe Mugen 2 before but returned it since it couldn't keep up with the temperature's, so i went an bought the Noctua which get's recommended by most as being the number 1 air cooler out there.
But even at 3.8 Ghz @ 1.4250vcore the temperature get's near 60 degrees.

Comparing other folk's temp leaves allot to be desired... i don't know where it goes wrong.

Re-seating of the cooler has not helped so far, the mounting itself shouldn't give trouble anyway ( compared to a Mugen 2 it's a joy) and used the thermal compound provided by Noctua (artic silver 5 as a option)

I'm starting to think that either i have a seriously messed up chip or my MB sensor is broken ( checked with Everest, CPUz HWinfo, Coretemp with propper offset).
The reason of thinking this is that the heath-pipes on the Noctua stay cool during stressing ( should get warm imo?) and the Coretemp/cputin offset is about +20 degrees ... ( tried various bios versions)

Anyway i'll stop rambling, hope i provided enough info for proper suggestions
 09/11/2010 09:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
J.P.
Fanboi

I had to use water cooling to get 4 Ghz or 4.1 Ghz or 4.2 Ghz to run cool enough to stay stable.

The heat was bad with a full tower and a ton of air flow.

Ran 4.1 Ghz as my every day OC for months before I got sick of the water cooling and the need to fine tune to some games.

Installed a nice quite air cooler and dropped it back to 3.67 Ghz locking down all cores full time and can NOT tell the difference in ANY game.

Other then benchmarks, there is no loss of any kind and the temps are so crazy low it rocks.

I had the MSI 790 FX at first but it died and I have been using the Asrock 790 FX like you for a few months now and just love it.

Tests show no FPS gain in games I have tested going from 4.1 Ghz to 3.67 Ghz.

Just saying, no need to push so high, other then benchmarks there will be no gains. not even in video coding.

-------------------------
AMD 1090T x6 Hexa core - All 6 cores locked @ 3.6 Ghz
4 GB OCZ Reapers DDR 3 1600 7 7 7 24 - 9800 GT dedicated physx
2x Asus 5870 xfire - 875/1225 with Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 board
2x 1 TB Wester digital Blacks Sata III
Linux Ubuntu ultimate & Windows 7 gaming only

Laptop
Acer Timeline X Intel i5 540m 2.56 Ghz 3.06 Ghz max boost 13.3 12 hour run time - Linux Ubuntu Ultimate
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information