Increase font size
Topic Title: Phenom II X4 965BE 125W Shuts down when play games
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/21/2010 01:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
Answer This question was answered by NemesisChild, on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 5:21 AM

Answer:
Welcome to the forum!

I feel our pain, I'm a BFBC2 junkie myself and can't wait for the Vietnam expansion to be released.
I think you may have the solution already figured out, your aging PSU.
PSU's degrade over time, the extent varies on each brand and the amount of time in service (hours).
The only other problem that I can see with your setup is the fact that you're running only 2GB of memory.
Not sure what OS you're using, but between it and BFBC2, I gotta believe you would be over 2GB memory usage.
You would undoubtedly benefit by adding two more sticks, but I don't think this is directly related to your shutdown problems.
 12/21/2010 01:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Natez
Lurker

Hi,

I have had my X4 965BE 125W C3 processor for around a month now but have had problems with it since I installed it into my mobo. I have dedicated many hours to scouring the internet and forums for this duration but cant seem to find my exact problem but many of a similar nature which has not yet satisfied my question.

My problem is that when I go to play games like bad company 2 and alike, my computer just shuts down .... completely. I never had this problem with my previous processor, AMD Athlon X2 5200+, only until i installed the X4.

I have tried many different CPU voltage settings in the BIOS (nothing above 1.4V) with no luck in stability at all. I have done many memtests on the RAM and hardware diagnostics for each component of my setup except for the PSU, and the rest of the hardware checks out fine. My current PSU is nearly 3 years old but has never missed a beat until my X4 upgrade, so I am greatly assuming that my PSU is the problem but I would greatly appreciate an opinion from an expert or others that have encountered this problem.

I am so very desperate for a solution to this problem as I have been wanting to play the Vietnam expansion to BC2 and have not been able to play next to anything so again, many thanks for all advise and replies in advance.

Please forgive me if there is already a thread somewhere related to this problem. If i have missed any important information that would be relevant to my situation, please let me know ASAP and I will update as necessary.

My specs are:

AMD Phenom II X4 965BE C3 125W @ 3.4GHz
OCZ Reaper 2 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz DC
Inno3D 9800GTX 512MB
Asus M4N72-E Mobo w/ latest BIOS 2403
SilverStone 600W ST60F PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Edited: 12/21/2010 at 01:45 AM by Natez
 12/21/2010 01:59 AM

Author Icon
NemesisChild
ROGue Warrior

Answer Answer
Welcome to the forum!

I feel our pain, I'm a BFBC2 junkie myself and can't wait for the Vietnam expansion to be released.
I think you may have the solution already figured out, your aging PSU.
PSU's degrade over time, the extent varies on each brand and the amount of time in service (hours).
The only other problem that I can see with your setup is the fact that you're running only 2GB of memory.
Not sure what OS you're using, but between it and BFBC2, I gotta believe you would be over 2GB memory usage.
You would undoubtedly benefit by adding two more sticks, but I don't think this is directly related to your shutdown problems.

-------------------------
Phenom II X6 1100T B.E.@ 4.26GHz
Corsair H70 Core Hydro
ASUS Crosshair V Formula
2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1894MHz, 9-10-9-28
SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Corsair HX850W Modular
Cooler Master HAF 922
2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)
 12/21/2010 02:01 AM

Author Icon
Natez
Lurker

Hi NemesisChild,

Thank you a great deal for your prompt reply

About the RAM BC2 thing, I have run it quite ok on medium previously with the X2 I had using only max 90% RAM. I found that quite surprising myself lol.

BTW ... the thing that is really eating me is that I can actually play Vietnam BC2 now ... if my PC would let me lol ... GRRRRRR!

Anyways, thank you again for your reply as I know feel assured it is my PSU and will invest in a new 700W+ in the near future.

Also ... would it make a difference if I used a 32bit version of my OS? (Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit).
 12/21/2010 10:26 AM

Author Icon
NemesisChild
ROGue Warrior

The shutdown problem could also be related to the CPU reaching it's thermal threshold.

Have you checked your CPU temp while playing BFBC2?

-------------------------
Phenom II X6 1100T B.E.@ 4.26GHz
Corsair H70 Core Hydro
ASUS Crosshair V Formula
2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1894MHz, 9-10-9-28
SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Corsair HX850W Modular
Cooler Master HAF 922
2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information