Increase font size
Topic Title: X4 955 Speed trouble
Topic Summary: Upgraded my CPU from 2.2 to 3.2 but no improved performance
Created On: 01/11/2011 05:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/11/2011 05:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mnby9rpj
Lurker

Hi

I upgraded my phenom quad core 2.2ghz processor to a 3.2ghz Phenom X4 955. The device manager shows all four cores and the system properties recorgnise the CPU as 3.2ghz. Also when the computer loads up it states 3.2 as does the CPU-Z utility. Unfortunately however I have seen no increase in performance after this significant upgrade- it's as if I've got the old chip in still.

I have tried turning off the 'cool and quiet' setting. Prior to installing the CPU I updated the BIOS to 1.5 as instructed on the website of my motherboard manufacturer. The bios shows as 1.5 when it loads up.

My motherboard is fairly old but it lists that it supports the processor in the support list. However this list is a bit confusing as I am a novice. The motherboard is an ASROCK K10N78hSLI-GLAN

Here is a link to the motherboard http://www.asrock.com/mb/overv...Model=K10N78hSLI-GLAN

The temperature of the CPU is running at 42 degrees and the CPU fan at around 4200 rpm - is this normal?

I am running windows xp SP3. Please tell me if you need any other information to diagnose the problem.

I have read that an reinstall of windows might work. This would be an absolute last resort for me as it would take many hours to reinstall all the software.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
 01/11/2011 06:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Do a repair install, that is fairly quick, and you will not loose your old programs. + Reinstall drivers.

http://www.microsoft.com/windo...nmore/tips/doug92.mspx

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information