Increase font size
Topic Title: Can't see all 3 TB of a large SATA drive
Topic Summary: large drive not fully visible
Created On: 01/19/2012 06:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/19/2012 06:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Rhino
Lurker

I'm having trouble figuring out how to see and prepare the full 3 TB (or maybe I should say the 2.8 TB actual space) on my new SATA 3 TB drive.

I have an ASUS M3A motherboard and Phenom 9350e quad core processor. The board supports 4 SATA II devices. I current have two 750 GB SATA internal hard drives and a new SATA DVD burner. I've also just added a 3 TB Seagate Barracuda internal hard drive. The new drive is SATA III but I've been told that SATA III is backward-compatible with SATA II. I'm not sure if that's true so please tell me if it's not. I'm also not clear if I need an add-in card to adapt the new SATA III drive to work in my SATA II system.

I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP3. I've viewed Seagate's video on how to get an XP machine see all 3 TB of the drive via their Disk Wizard program. This is the link: http://support.seagate.com/rig...ard_Large_3TB_XP.htm.

I've downloaded the latest version of Disk Wizard but it seems to have changed considerably from the version used in the video. I can't get the current version to do the same things that they do in the (presumably older) version used in the video. All I can see is 746.50 GB; the rest of the 3 TB doesn't appear no matter what I do with Disk Wizard (Version 11). Windows also sees 746.50 GB. According to the video, the simple act of _installing_ the program (as opposed to using it to configure the drive) makes the rest of the space visible to Disk Wizard. So far, that has NOT been my experience. (I've even re-installed Disk Wizard but neither the typical nor the Complete installation behave any differently with regards to the new hard drive.)

Can anyone confirm that my system will work with that new 3 TB hard drive without modifications? Or will I need to upgrade the BIOS or get an add-in card to accomodate that new big drive?

Does anyone know how to coax the current version of Disk Wizard to do what they show in the video? Or how to find whatever version they are using in the video?

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.
 01/19/2012 11:40 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

I think that you have to configure the drive as a GPT format rather than NTFS. GPT disks can exceed 2.2TB whereas NTFS cannot.

source: http://www.overclock.net/t/115...dds/0_30#post_15521910

Info on GPT and why to use it! [snip]

This guide is for utilizing a Microsoft Operating System (Apple OS and Linux distros, may require different steps).

A UEFI (GPT) boot drive can only be configured from a blank "unallocated" drive. The drive must initially contain no partitions or formatting. When configuring the blank drive as a boot drive, (GPT Boot), it is necessary to configure your drive utilizing 3 partitions. Your motherboard should be an UEFI enabled motherboard. Although a BIOS can be configured (through hacks) to boot GPT drives, that configuration is beyond the scope of this guide. When configuring a GPT boot drive, only x64 (64-bit) OSes support this feature. x86 (32-bit) Windows installations do not support GPT boot devices. If the steps are performed properly, Windows installation media from Vista SP1 and above are GPT "aware" when launched from a device marked as "UEFI" in the boot device list. Earlier versions of Windows, can have attached storage formatted as GPT, but these volumes cannot be booted from.

The three partitions involved in a GPT boot are as follows:

ESP 100MB This is the UEFI System partition. It is the First partition that is placed on the drive. This partition contains the EFI boot loader, hardware abstraction layer (HAL), drivers, and other pre-OS utilities utilized Pre-Boot by the UEFI during its boot or system check processes. Windows 7 requires that this partition be formatted as FAT32.

MSR - 128MB - This partition is the Microsoft Reserved Partition. It is a required partition for any GPT formatted drive under Windows. This partition will initially be empty after you install Windows, but will be used later by the OS when performing certain disk tasks. GPT disks do not allow for hidden sectors (as was the case with MBR). This space is reserved for software operations that formally used hidden sectors. You will not format this partition.

Data Partition - This is the remainder of your drive that will contain the OS, User Data, programs, etc.

Benefits of a UEFI/GPT boot disk vs. MBR:
    * Although not currently applicable to SSDs, GPT disks can exceed the 2.2TB bootable limit of a MBR partitioned drive. MBR drives are limited to four partition table entries, unless a secondary "extended" partition structure is created.
    * Data critical to platform operation is located in partitions, and not in un-partitioned or "hidden" sectors which in certain instances, can lead to system instability. Data contained in hidden sectors that result in system problems are difficult to debug.
    * GPT disks use primary and backup partition tables for redundancy and 32-bit cyclic redundancy check (CRC32) fields for improved partition data structure integrity.
    * A UEFI boot is more secure, and less vulnerable to pre-boot malware.
    * A system utilizing a UEFI boot, will boot and recover from sleep faster than the same machine using MBR.
    * UEFI is the future, and as different implementations of UEFI mature, UEFI will be used for much more than just booting a computer.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 01/20/2012 10:30 AM

Author Icon
Rhino
Lurker

Thanks for your assistance!

It looks like I've solved the problem. I viewed the video again and this time I noticed that the version of DiscWizard they installed was version 13, not the version 11 that I had downloaded. I googled again and found Version 13 semi-hidden away in a knowledgebase article about large drives. I downloaded and ran DiscWizard Version 13 and this time the screens matched the video and I was able to see and format all of the 3 TB drive.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't need to upgrade my OS beyond XP SP3 (32-bit), flash my BIOS, or obtain an add-in card to make my SATA III drive work in my SATA II system.

I may end up switching to a GPT approach and/or updating the OS to Windows 7 but, for now, this looks like it's going to work.

Thanks again!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information