Increase font size
Topic Title: 955 BE bad core?
Topic Summary: Help diagnosing this
Created On: 01/25/2012 08:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/25/2012 08:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
NC37
Lurker

To start off, I built a system for a friend about a year ago. Unfortunately before AM3+ but specs are as follows.

Phenom II X4 955BE
Gigabyte 890GX AM3 board
8GB 1333 Corsair XMS3
Radeon 6870 1GB
Win 7 Pro

The system is good and he's loved it. But it has a random BSOD issue that I've never been able to diagnose well. It has just always had this but it would do it at such random times that I couldn't replicate it.

Started off with clocking the 955 up to 4Ghz. It worked but didn't seem stable. Clocked it down to 3.8Ghz and it seemed to work fine. Problem was, BSODs started happening quite frequently. So I had him clock it down to 3.6Ghz. System pretty much stabilized with the rare BSOD still happening. He didn't want to go down slower so I left it at that. Just told him to keep an eye on it and note when it crashes so I could troubleshoot it. But it never would do it at consistent times.

Anyways, time passes, I stop by to check things out. See if it can't do a little more. I start off with Prime95 tests and I notice something odd. 1 of the CPU cores doesn't finish it's test. I let it sit there awhile but it just doesn't do anything. The other 3 are pretty much moving along at consistent pace.

Moving on, I decide to test it out under Cinebench so I can see if all cores are working. Sure enough, 3 cores working well, but one is really lagging behind.

Ended up only scoring a 3.14 in Cinebench.

Now, my system is a old nForce 570 SLI chipset with a Phenom II 945 @ 3.45Ghz. In the same Cinebench test, I score about a 3.78-3.92 depending on NB frequency.

I'm suspecting something is wrong with his system. Maybe even the CPU. But I need some input to help diagnose this. Should I contact AMD about a warranty replacement?
 01/27/2012 08:55 AM

Author Icon
Hardwood
Case Modder

If he has the latest BIOS then why not replace the CPU? Seems logical. Next would be mobo right?

-------------------------
Spider: Phenom II 955, Antec Kuhler 920, GA-MA790FX-DS5 (F8g), ASUS 5870/V2, ASUS Xonar D2X pcie,
OCZ2N1066SR2GK (4x1gig @800), Antec Truepower New 750, Fractal Design's Arc Midi Case.
#2: A64 X2 4200+, ASUS A8V-D, SAPPHIRE AGP 1950PRO
 01/27/2012 12:56 PM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

Looks like the cpu is not getting enough power, what do you have the cpu voltage set at?

Have you checked the voltage wile running prime to see if its dropping below 1.3v?

Is it always the same core thats failing?

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 01/27/2012 01:40 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

You could always try placing your CPU into his system and retest to see if the issue replicates. If not, replace the 955 quick before AMD runs out of PII chips in their RMA dept.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 01/27/2012 06:36 PM

Author Icon
NC37
Lurker

Don't think it is the same core always failing. I ran the Prime test more than once and on one of them the worker affected was different.

Voltage is at 1.425v if I remember right. Increased the CPU-NB voltage too.

Think I will take my 945 down to test. Maybe next week. I did a quick search for this issue and found others with 955s having 1 core behaving oddly. Usually ended up with replacement by AMD. But I like to exhaust all possibilities first.

His system gave me a hard time on the initial build. Almost RMAed the board because it wouldn't boot properly. Then I found out it wasn't liking the backplate for the 212+ cooler. Pins were sticking through the coating on it. Removed the harder plastic coating from the Gigabyte stock backplate and stuck it on the 212...worked perfectly.
 02/14/2012 05:32 PM

Author Icon
asiamonkey
Lurker

Instead of starting a new thread I thought to chip in here as well. I am not one to post unless the issue is severe. I just built a new rig for a freind and am having the exact same issues, I built it 3 months ago. Unfoutunatly this guy runs a buisness with that computer and it has been nothing but a nightmare for me. First time for everything right?

I have a 955 x4 HD2955FBGM.

The build seemed to run strong in the beginging, but in a matter of days it was BSODing and crashing and dumping the memory a time or two a day, or less. I don't have a screen shot.

Internet explorer 9 stops running several times a day and has an error.

This is maybe not relavant here, but the load time at boot also seems slow to me as I have an almost identical build that smokes his. Granted I have a sata 3 ssd, but he has a sata 3 wd that reports zero errors and the differance is major.

Until today I thought it was the mobo. I replaced the mobo yesterday with another new one that was about identical (dif brand) and it did the same thing still. Oddly enough here... I tested the hd for errors in another computer and all was ok lastnight. When I put that hd back into the "new" mobo it would not even beep at me... like it had been killed by something (another first for me).

I put the old ASUS board back in and valla, it worked again like it used to :/

So, I am thinking CPU here. I will test it with the programs I see here that seem to suggest a defective core. I beleive the same thing myself. Both mobo's are/were all good with the 4 cores showing up, but that don't mean nothing.

My buddy owns a shop and I gave him a crack at it today. He says processor most likely. He says this is rare, but given the fact that I have did about everything, and the new board was somehow killed dead by something... it was his best guess.

I am not gonna pull my 3.5gz x4 phenom from my personal pc to find out if that fixes it as that is just a ton more work. To bad my buddy did not have one to try out.

I never did update the bios as I really doubt that is the issue. The chip is to old and should definatly be supported by the much newer board without an update. I have read of this mobo/cpu combo working many times with the x4 955 right out of the box.

My next plan is to run Cinebench on it. If that looks bad I am sending the chip back for another one.

What do you all think here?

Thanks in advance.

Probomatic build specs...

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
16gb ddr3 G-Skill F3-12800CL9Q (4x4)
GeForce GT520
Corsair TX650-T2 PSU
Phenom X4 955
win7 pro 64 bit

MB: ASRock 970 Extreme3
CPU: Phenom x4 970 BE Denab / CPU cooler - 92mm Zalman CNPS9500A-LED
RAM: 16gb (4x4) GSKILL Ripjaws 12800CL9Q-16GBRL
Video: XFX RADION HD 6770
Audio: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
HD: OCZ Vertex 3 SATA3 120gb
PSU: Corsair Pro Series HX750
Display: ASUS VW246H
 02/15/2012 04:43 PM

Author Icon
asiamonkey
Lurker

I thought to give you all an update on this situation I have. Today I ran cinebench v11.5 on it and the results were not as easily interpreted as I thought they would be.

I thought it was odd that the 3.2gz 955 was showing up as 3.47gz in cinebench and it had never been oc'd, nothing but auto/stock settings in bios. It showed up with 4 cores and 4 threads. I ran the tests below in that way, 4c/4t.

It gave the cpu a single core render rateing of 1.05 pts. It gave it a 3.93 in the multi option below the single option. It gave it a 4.09 in true multi mode(an option selectable from the top).

I played around with it for a while, but I could never see where it would show a lagging core. I set it to 4 cores and 8 threads and maybe this is where you can see some lag? Maybe it was nothing but the boxes were not shading in at the same speeds... heck if I know.

So... I thought to give one last idea a try. I never have seen the error at hand anywhere but in windows. I had win 7 pro check out the files (basically a repair, but called it an upgrade)(more win 7 sillyness). It made it through that no problem. Re booted all looked well . I went to download AVG antivirus and it froze up half way through the download (I have already checked for malware/viruses out of windows, and in).

After a few min I restarted it manualy and the motherboard was dead as a door nail like the board I beleive the cpu killed yeaterday. It was dead exactally the same way. No more beep's for that baby no more, lol.

This is the worst case of trouble shooting hardware that I have ever experianced. I have been building for 10 years and all of them were AMD based systems. It wouldn't be nearly as bad if it was not my boss's computer. It would be really bad, but the boss mans tower is another story... now the dude is completely down for at least 7-10 days. This is his first build and I can tell it is leaving a really bad taste in his mouth about build your owns. I cannot help but to feel bad for him.

Today I RMA'd the mobo, and am still waiting on RMA authorization from AMD still.

I'll be sure to post what happens with the rest of this situation.

Every builders and customers worst nightmare

-monkey

02/16/2012 05:18 PM

Author Icon
asiamonkey
Lurker

I am surprised nobody has taken a crack with any suggestions or questions here.

I know there are some really smart dudes that post here from time to time. I have never experianced a processor failure in my years of building pc's for myself, family, freinds, etc.

What can kill two motherboards like that? They were both protected from surge. I am doubting a solar flares on two seperate days... lol.

Is there any other hardware that could do that?

I am surprised AMD has not approved my rma still. I have never had to with them and I am gathering they are on the slow side as I never heard anything from them today either.

-Monkey

02/16/2012 06:57 PM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

I 've never heard of a cpu killing a mobo before. I'm not saying its not posible I just don't know how it could unless theirs pin missing or bent but I'm sure you would have cought that.

Were you using the same psu with both mobos?

If you were I would be taking a close look at it becase the only time I've seen or heard of mobo's dying like that is when the psu went bad or there was a short in one of the wires or connectors and of course surge.

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 02/16/2012 07:53 PM

Author Icon
asiamonkey
Lurker

I am not certian what is going on here. I do know this now... They made many versions of the x4 955. There are only 4 of them that supposedly will work with the asus board here. I know there are a bunch of things that work that are not on QVL's for this board... mem, cpu's. Seems like they don't update that stuff often like they should. For instance.. not a single set of 4x4 mem ddr3 1600 or any 4x4's for that matter. People do this all the time without ever adjusting a thing, you can read about it all day long. Some need a minor adjustment to the voltage, and some are more in the OC'r domain. Unfortunatly I am not an OC'r. I need to come up to speed with all that as some of these boards they these days don't quite work as advertized (the small print). Like "supports ddr3 1600". Some do out of the box just fine, some do not.

I droped 4x4 of the same memory into my asrok 970extreme3 with a x4 970 that is on the list for the board (not the mem though) and it worked first try.

I tried all the mem stuff out on boss's build ... voltage, stepping it down to 1333, tried 2 sticks... never did try just one. I have looked over every set of reviews about the board and looked over build specs, etc.

The only thing I can think is proc is defective, or not compatabal somehow, or a remote chance of the PSU having some fault somewhere.

I just droped 235.00 on anotheridentical board and a 970 x4 for dude as I felt very bad for him having to wait and wait and wait. Nope, not me. That didnt feel right to me. Bad karma for me to.

The last thing the board did before I pulled it and rma'd it was re-boot and I am pretty sure I got a beep code for the memory. I think I tried to re-boot 2-3 times, but cannot remember if it beeped me or not... as I remember it did not, and acted dead minus the fans spinning and hd trying to do its thing.

I will let you know what happens. Maybe this is just a matter of wrong proc for this board. I don't know how many versions of the 955 there were... there were at least 5 to my knowledge.

Mid next week I will know.

-Monkey

02/18/2012 03:39 PM

Author Icon
NC37
Lurker

Ok, I have an update finally. Friend has been busy so I couldn't do the check.

I dropped in my 945 to test. Sure enough, same issue. So I've ruled out a CPU problem. Looked at board problem. But before I went too far I checked about a bios update via Gigabyte. Sadly, Gigabyte is letting the board sorta go because it is older AM3 and not AM3+, but I ran @bios and just did a direct update from the servers. Now the board had version FF bios, the latest. @bios saw this and gave me an update option anyways to...FF. So maybe the board was a beta version of FF.

But anyways, ran the update. Then tested for the heck of it. Cinebench results changed. Now testing at a 3.56. Still low, but better. Core work load in Prime also seemed better. I've asked him to keep an eye on it for BSODs but I'm now more certain this is a board issue this time. Likely won't RMA it as long as it overall works. Not worth it to put anymore time or money into the AM3 platform. If he can get a year+ out of it, then getting a new board would likely be best.
 02/18/2012 03:48 PM

Author Icon
NC37
Lurker

Some of the boxes on cinebench do require more time to load in. Likely more to process. They are usually the ones with more to draw. But how I could tell something was off was in how fast they would load in. Seeing the same bench over and over on multiple systems, I would watch the threads run. Usually I would catch one pausing far too long. Sometimes, not on the harder boxes. It would just sit there while the other 3 would blaze ahead. Eventually it would get finished but far too slow compared to my other hardware.

There always is some bit of lag since the CPU is handling some background tasks, but never that much.
 02/18/2012 08:13 PM

Author Icon
asiamonkey
Lurker

Yea, thats how I thought you meant cinebench was maybe seeing some lag.

In my case I beleive it is either; processor is defective, processor is not compatabal with mobo, or the PSU is no good. I have used the same PSU through all of this trial and error.

I have my money on #2 at this time, but who knows. My 955 in question is not on the QVL for either mobo I put it in. Both mobo's are compatabal with the same 4 versions of the 955, but I have no clue how many versions of the 955 they made... at least 5 that I am aware of.

Why one of them is not compatabal with my socket/chipset is beyond me. What other board/chipset would have it been made for?

I could dig and dig and probably find the answer to that, but I have not came accross it yet in my digging trying to figure this out.

If AMD does not send me RMA authorization here someday, I will have to figure out what mobo's the 955 I have will work with. I wouldn't even be able to sell it untill I knew if it is defective or not.

I sent out all the warranty info online like tue or wed and they never sent me nothing beyond a noreply@ confirmation an hour later.... very weird IMO.

NC37... Have you checked to see if your processors are on the QVL for dudes mobo yet?...

-Monkey

02/21/2012 04:59 PM

Author Icon
asiamonkey
Lurker

The plot thickens here. I got the proc here in my hand today and the # that is on it is not what was on the box. It is a 955 and it is on the compatabal list to both boards I used.

The # on the proc is HD955FBK4DGM

The box says HDZ955FBGMBOX

I have been looking for a HDZ955FBGM on the list, lol. No wonder I could not find it, and there are probably only 4 versions of this CPU, not 5.

Maybe this is a PSU issue.

I have an older tester, but it is not going to see what I am looking for probably.

I best do some searching about the PSU before I blow something else up here. Maybe I will stumble on to something interseting, or the cure.

-Monkey

02/27/2012 08:22 PM

Author Icon
asiamonkey
Lurker

Ok, I got it going. I dropped the new x4 970 denab into an identical ASUS board like I began with.

I payed more attn to the "mem ok" button on the mobo this time. I did none of that the first time and it booted first try 3-4 months ago. So on that note, it is unlikely that the mem ok button has anything to do with the answer to all my problems with this build. I suppose by doing this it only complicated the known variabels.

I put in 2 sticks of the same memory (8gb total). I pushed the "Mem OK" button on the mobo. It is supposed to find the best settings for that mem and boot if all goes well.

The first two sticks would not boot the machine. I restarted the mem ok process several times and it would never boot. Frusterated, I pulled them 2 sticks and put in the other two. I pushed the mem ok button again and in less than 10-15 sec it found what it wanted and booted up first try.

I memtest'd all 4 sticks about a half dozen times through this ordeal and all 4 were good.

Something killed the mobo the last time, maybe it killed a stick to. I have no clue at this point because I have not ran another memtest on them 2 sticks yet.

The machine is solid just like it was the first time I built it 3-4 months ago. I ran it non stop for about 4 days straight and had zero issues with it. I did re-start it many times during that period to make sure it was not telling me any lies before I gave it back to my boss.

This is a really freek story I have here. I wish it were not the truth.

AMD has never emailed me about the RMA yet. That was 2 weeks ago I emailed them. So, I emailed again tonight. I would have never imagined it would be such a hassel to RMA a processor. Anyone else have experiance RMA'n an AMD proc?

Edited: 02/27/2012 at 10:45 PM by asiamonkey
 03/01/2012 06:20 PM

Author Icon
asiamonkey
Lurker

I continue to try to figure this case out. I would love to drop the supposed death processor into my machine to see if it goes buck wild like the other 2 mobos did. I am not that desperate for an answer though, lol.

I have not got around to testing the supposed possable damaged memory stick/s either.

I did learn this... The error I was getting that said internet explored stopped working a few times a day may not have been related to the BSOD's/memory dumping. It turns out that was probably some kind of conflict with the Quickbooks program. It began to do it again as soon as I gave it back to my boss. Seems like I have that fixed now.

The BSOD message I was getting was a dumping memory message and something about a bad pool pin header 14-15. I cannot remember if it was 14 or 15, but it seems like it was one of them two.

In all of my searching trying to fugure out this situation, including at AMD, I get the same thing... "be sure you check the QVL list before you build, etc". I built mine from known compatabal parts from the beginning because the lists were not up to date with supported CPU's RAM, GPU's, etc. I always do this.

Here is an example below.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/RecommendedMBFilter.aspx

This list is not up to date at all. According to this list my ASUS M4A87TD I just built for my boss is not supported, nor is it's chipset even available as a selection. The AMD 870 chipset is not on the list nowhere. According to the list there are only 2 revisions that will work with any of the few Asus boards they do list... there are 4 revisions of the 955, not 2. My 970 Denab BE... not on there.

It is tough to work from QVL's when most all of them are like this.

I still never heard anything back from AMD. I have sent them communications 3 times and I got zero replys other than the one automatic response from the first RMA request I sent out.

It will probably be a while before I figure out anything "new" here.

Enough said for now.

03/25/2012 10:46 PM

Author Icon
Casca2525
Lurker

I have an 1100T it was doing random crashes BSOD etc, I ran MRI 5.6, core 5 failed MP symmetry test, so I rma'd the chip, got a new chip about a month ago, been fine till today has blue screened or crashed one after the other, running mri now core 5 fails the same test, what are the odds or could it be a motherboard issue, motherboard is a gigabyte 880gm-ud2h, ram is Gskill ripjaws, and psu is a fatality 750w.
 03/25/2012 11:03 PM

Author Icon
Casca2525
Lurker

sorry 16GB of 1333MHz ram
 03/27/2012 08:56 PM

Author Icon
asiamonkey
Lurker

Wow! How did you manage to get the chip RMA'd?

As for the other issues... Try AIDA64 to look the sysyem over maybe? You might have some settings wrong. There is one dude here that swears going "auto" is a serious mistake. I tend to disagree with that, but you might check out a few things to be certian your bios is correctly set-up. Maybe your MOBO is bad, or wrong bios? Just some thoughts...

Good luck.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information