AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Phenom II X6 1035t Core Issues
Topic Summary: Windows only sees 4 of the 6 cores!
Created On: 02/18/2012 12:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/18/2012 12:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DrPang
Lurker

This may sound a little weird but I lost my window of time to return my proc. to Newegg so I am recurring to this forum to see what can be done. First my system:

-above mentioned cpu
-Asus M3A78-EM mobo (socket AM2+)
-4gb DDR2 800 Crucial Ballistix ram
-Asus EAH 6850-1gb vid card
-Samsung 1tb-32mb cache hdd
-Samsung 19" led monitor.
-Latest Bios from Asus which supports this cpu (2701 from 10/10).
-Windows 7 x64 and Windows XP Pro x86 in dual boot.

When I upgraded yesterday from my Athlon II X4 630 (2.8ghz), my system accepted the new processor without a problem (yay!). Checking the Bios, the processor is recognized as such and the core count is 6. However, my Aida64 (Everest before) gadget could only read 4 cores. I double checked with the latest CPUz and also, only 4 cores are recognized. With the latest AMD Overdrive, the same.

I also noticed that Nova Bench produced about the same readings as my older proc. just slightly higher (L3 cache which the Athlon II does not have?).

Stressing the cpu with Heavyload did not make the cores "appear" (in case they were asleep) and I noticed that turbo-core did not kick in to increase the clock speed staying almost constantly at 2615-18. No overclocking was tried nor will be, due the age of my mobo.

I set windows update to check if the processor driver was the adequate one and it said that I have the latest and correct one. I know there is no software to download and that Windows should recognize the cpu which it does but not completely. The funny thing is that the Windows Device Manager DOES see the full 6 cores!

So I don't know how to proceed from here and any pointer(s) would be appreciated, especially from the AMD crew.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers and Saludos
 02/18/2012 08:27 PM

Author Icon
asiamonkey
Lurker

I have been chiming in here for about a week now and I have not seen any "AMD crew" coming to the rescue... lol man.

If I read correctly when I signed the user agreement for this forum, it stated this forum was not monitored by any such help as you describe.

Is the new processor you just dropped in on the QVL list for your mobo?

-Monkey

-------------------------
MB: ASRock 970 Extreme3
CPU: Phenom x4 970 BE Denab / CPU cooler - 92mm Zalman CNPS9500A-LED
RAM: 16gb (4x4) GSKILL Ripjaws 12800CL9Q-16GBRL
Video: XFX RADION HD 6770
Audio: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
HD: OCZ Vertex 3 SATA3 120gb
PSU: Corsair Pro Series HX750
Display: ASUS VW246H
 02/19/2012 06:24 PM

Author Icon
DrPang
Lurker

It is. Well, supposedly the AMD guys drop in but don't say when.

Anyways, all help is good.

Cheers and Saludos
 02/20/2012 08:47 AM

Author Icon
TLH

Hi, we did have a post on here somewhere about editing the registry to make the OS (probably for Win XP) see all 6 cores after fitting a new cpu. I can't seem to find it now unfortunately.

You don't say if this is on Win 7 or XP. For Win 7 what you could try is uninstalling your cpu in device manager and rebooting to make the OS redetect your cpu. Being as your bios sees the correct cpu that should be enough I think. If not then try msconfig/boot/advanced options and tick/untick the number of cores box and reboot and see if that helps.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information