Increase font size
Topic Title: AM3 cpu whit broken pin
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/08/2012 09:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/08/2012 09:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Spacy
Lurker

hello

I have a problem whit a MB /cpu problem where we delivered them to the retailer for instability whit the NB and they claims the problem was a broken pin.

CPU AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
MB ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, Socket-AM3

The mainboard was in for the 2nd time where we complained about instability when playing games as this MB seems to have a known problem whit chipset cooling.

They replied that a corner pin is broken, and we seem to have tried to use a AM3 cpu in a 939 socket.

If the lever is upper right and the arrow is lower left, the broken pin is in the lower right corner where the 939 don't have a pin but the am3 does.
The other pins that are placed different are not broken.

I have a hard time accepting this as we never removed the cpu from the MB, for they wanted both the MB and cpu for testing.
They claim it must have happened when we built the pc, and this is the reason everything worked but long gaming sessions.

I know i never tried the cpu on another MB, and we have never removed the cpu from the MB so i realy don't belive i broke it then.

Can the pc work whit the broken pin?
 03/08/2012 12:39 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Depends on which pin it is, generally speaking though, no it won't. The Crosshair IV Formula motherboard is not a 939 socket board it is an AM3 socket and does specifically support the 1090T CPU (I know because I purchased these two components at the same time to build my rig with and they work exceptionally well together). I would not let them feed you this line of crap as the cause, they are just trying to blame the issue on you because they do not know what the problem is.

Yes, the Crosshair IV Formula did have problems with the standoffs where the heatsink mounts to the NB chipset. This is easily correctable though by filing down the standoff a bit or you can contact ASUS and RMA the board.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 03/09/2012 09:43 AM

Author Icon
4P_Bulldozer
Fanboi

Originally posted by: Spacy
I have a problem whit a MB /cpu problem where we delivered them to the retailer for instability whit the NB and they claims the problem was a broken pin.
The mainboard was in for the 2nd time where we complained about instability when playing games as this MB seems to have a known problem whit chipset cooling.
I have a hard time accepting this as we never removed the cpu from the MB, for they wanted both the MB and cpu for testing.

They claim it must have happened when we built the pc, and this is the reason everything worked but long gaming sessions.
I know i never tried the cpu on another MB, and we have never removed the cpu from the MB so i realy don't belive i broke it then.
Can the pc work whit the broken pin?

It is unlikely to work with a missing pin but if it does it is also unlikely that the missing pin would cause "instability when playing games" and at no other times.

I think they are "playing games" with you.

Your warning (when making the sale) should have been: "they wanted both the MB and cpu for testing".

Are they somehow better equipped to test this than either you (the seller) or the rest of the Internet. Sounds more like they planned on "fiddling" with it rather than "testing" it; and tried the Processor in another MB.

You should try saying that IF there was a problem with the System that they ought to have returned it under Warranty, and that removing the Processor violates the Warranty. If they are dumb enough to pull the Processor and break a pin then they will accept that - just make certain that it was not one of your employees that broke the pin before you say that.
 03/21/2012 10:28 AM

Author Icon
Spacy
Lurker

Hello again and thanks for the replies

After some more phone calls back and forth they tested the MB and claim the MB is ok, and that the cpu starts and runs stabil for the tests they have done.
They claim we must have broken the pin almost 2 years ago when we buildt this computer together and that the instablility in games is the result of this.

I have build together allot of computers and i cant realy see we did brake the pin but if the pin was broken 2 years ago, then i guess i cant do anny more whit this case.

I will try to ask amd directly again but they don't seem to want to answer direct questions anymore.
 03/21/2012 05:33 PM

Author Icon
asiamonkey
Lurker

That is pretty messed up.

I have contacted AMD directly 3-4 times in reguard to an RMA or some help in the last 45 days or so. I never got a human reply either. I got an automated reply once.

To think I have praised AMD and used and sold their products for all these years :/

-------------------------
MB: ASRock 970 Extreme3
CPU: Phenom x4 970 BE Denab / CPU cooler - 92mm Zalman CNPS9500A-LED
RAM: 16gb (4x4) GSKILL Ripjaws 12800CL9Q-16GBRL
Video: XFX RADION HD 6770
Audio: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
HD: OCZ Vertex 3 SATA3 120gb
PSU: Corsair Pro Series HX750
Display: ASUS VW246H
 03/28/2012 03:57 AM

Author Icon
Harrybolton
Lurker

Thanks for sharing this .keep it up
 05/06/2012 08:11 AM

Author Icon
eray1903bjk
Lurker

I have fx-8120. It has broken pin at corner. I want to repair it. Where can i repair it. Pls answer amd moderators
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information