Increase font size
Topic Title: Phenom II x6 1075T Overheating While Rendering Video
Topic Summary: Gross overheating happens when rendering H264 video
Created On: 03/22/2012 05:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/22/2012 05:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
WillGarr
Lurker

This should not be happening. Whenever I render video using software such as Handbrake or Sony Vegas the processor heats up to 83c and then the system shuts down. I'm using the heatsink that came with the processor. It should be designed to dissipate this heat!

For now I have hooked a vacuum cleaner hose to the heat sync and it keeps the processor temperature in the 50s. I can render files now without crashes.

Take the vacuum cleaner away and temps rise and system crashes.

WHY would AMD provide a heatsink that is inadequate?
 03/22/2012 05:47 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Probably because you also have turbo enabled and your CPU voltage set to auto. Your BIOS is probably providing way too much voltage to your CPU (at load) than it needs to maintain that CPU clock. This is why you should not leave the BIOS values set to AUTO.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 03/23/2012 11:55 AM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

Acttuly the stock heatsink is not that bad, with good air flow through your case and the auto fan control set right it will do the job.

Now you may have a tiny air pocket between the heatsink and the cpu so I would remove the H/F clean it and re-apply some good thermal paste and reseat it.
Also adding a couple more case fans would't hurt either.

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 03/25/2012 02:38 PM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

Originally posted by: SlayerX

Acttuly the stock heatsink is not that bad, with good air flow through your case and the auto fan control set right it will do the job.

I agree. I've used the stock cooler in a few different systems from socket 754 to AM3 and they all performed well . Of course, none of these systems were overclocked. The cooler in my sig is my very first aftermaket one and I only bought it because I wanted to try overclocking.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information