AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: New AMD system, serious overheating.
Topic Summary: Built this for my mother, please help resolve.
Created On: 03/24/2012 02:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/24/2012 02:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Cooley
Lurker

I recently put together a new system for my parents, as their old one was badly outdated, and everything looks great on it except for one thing; the CPU is running WAY too hot. The specs are as follows:

Motherboard: ASUS F1A75-M LE AMD Hudson D3 Socket FM1 MB
CPU: AMD Quad-Core A6-3650 2.6Ghz APU + Radeon HD6530D
RAM: Corsair High Perform Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz2x4
HDD: WD Caviar 320GB SATA-3G HD 7200/16MB/SATA-6G

The system boots fine and seems to run okay as well, prior to the CPU overheating and causing dips in performance that is. From a cold boot, bios initially shows the CPU temp at around 30c, but that quickly escalates to around 50c in a matter of minutes, and that is simply idling in bios. I downloaded Speedfan to double check things, and it is showing some strange stuff. Shows:

CPU: 0c
Temp1: 29c
Temp3:127c
Temp4:0c

Honestly not sure how Speedfan works, but i assume those are the 4 cores? Regardless, 127c seems WAY WAY WAY high, and it has a little fire symbol next to it, so that can't be good.

Grasping at straws i ordered some arctic silver 5 TIM, and CORRECTLY applied it after removing the old stuff, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. (i know it has a break in period, but temps still shouldn't be that high)

One thing I've found rather odd is that though the CPU is getting so hot, the heat-sink (just using the AMD supplied one) does not even feel warm. The CPU itself feels rather hot, so i don't think its just bad temp readings either. Because of this i thought maybe the heat-sink wasn't properly seated, but I have made sure that it's seated just like it's suppose to be, and nothing changed.

The fan itself is working fine, getting up to 2500rpm, so i don't think that is the issue either. And granted its a new case, i don't think dust could be a factor. I've also made sure no wiring is blocking air flow.

I am just really at a loss here and cannot figure this out, and my mom is really wanting to play around on her new rig, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
 03/25/2012 02:09 PM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

Obviously something is amiss with those temperature readings from Speedfan. The first thing I would try is another monitoring software like AIDA64. In my opinion, this is best but others here may have other thoughts on this. You can download a free trial before a purchase. Here's the link in case you are interested in doing this.
http://www.aida64.com/downloads/a64xe.

If the heatsink is cool to the touch, and everything is assembled correctly as you stated, then the dip in performance you are experiencing may not be heat-related after all. It could be the system resources are being used by other applications / processes. Reaching 50c in the bios with the stock cooler just doesn't seem that excessive to me.

Good luck and let us know your progress.

-------------------------
 03/25/2012 05:55 PM

Author Icon
ifed32
Lurker

Install Asus Probe.It seems to be pretty good for temps.

Edited: 03/25/2012 at 07:07 PM by ifed32
 03/26/2012 12:11 PM

Author Icon
Cooley
Lurker

First of all, thanks so much for the quick replies. I'm beginning to think you are right, RBR, that the performance issues aren't heat related that is. After doing a bit of research i discovered that AMD processors actually only have 1 sensor, so there is no way to get accurate readings of each core, only the processor as a whole. (probably the reason those Speedfan readings were so off) I downloaded AIDA64 (which is amazing by the way) , and after switching my system to power saving mode in bios, shows the CPU running at a steady 29'C. I also noticed that when performing a warm boot, bios initially reads around 28-29'C every time, and then steadily climbs to ~50'C, so i think either the readings are incorrect in bios or bios is putting the system under a fair amount of stress.

Assuming my problems aren't heat related, the culprit is probably some software issue. The copy of windows 7 I installed was burnt to a disc from an ISO file (disk image file), so i suppose something could have gone wrong with the burning, or possibly even just the installation itself. If the issues persist, I'll try a new burn and installation i suppose.

One last concern. Despite pretty much ruling out the overheating issues, the system still seems to run fairly loud. With the power saver setting, the CPU fan speed has dropped to ~1700 RPM, but the case and power supply fans are still at or above 2000 RPM. Is this normal or would it probably be okay to install a program to lower their speeds for quieter operation? Any tips for a less noisy machine would be appreciated.

Thanks for helping me lessen what i feared to be a much bigger issue.
 03/31/2012 03:30 PM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

29'C is excellent. I would not worry too much about 50'C in the bios. Remember, you are running the CPU at full voltage and MHz, and that temperature is well below the maximum.

As for your case fans, do you have them plugged into the chassis fan headers on the motherboard? If so, there is usually a bios setting to lower their performance a bit which should decrease the RPM (noise). Just make sure your system will not overheat if you set them too low. Alternatively, case fans are an easy swap and there are some on the market that offer good CFM ratings and are also pretty quiet. Noctua comes to mind, but there are others.

As for the PSU fan, I am not sure how you can control that.

-------------------------

Edited: 03/31/2012 at 03:48 PM by RBR
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information