Increase font size
Topic Title: 4170 Sporadic Fan and Temps
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/22/2012 09:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/22/2012 09:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bajer29
Lurker

I built myself a new gaming rig and cannot for the life of me find the reason to my obnoxiously loud CPU cooler.
My friend and I decided to build him a new gaming rig. After I saw all of the components I had put together for him on newegg, it made me want the same system.

We built our systems together, same CPU (4170), same GPU (XFX DD 7850), same mobo (GA-990fxa-UD3), same case (Corsair 600T) etc... His stock CPU fan idles at around 2100 RMP - 3500 RPM under load, whereas mine idles at about 3500 RMP - 6500 RPM under load!!!

I've tried everything from, reseating all components and PSU connectors to replacing thermal paste on the NB and CPU with a couple different brands. NB temps got better after shimming and replacing the thermal compound, but the CPU stayed about the same - fan is still soooo loud. (I was messing with the NB because it sits so close to the CPU on my board.)

The CPU is at a stock 4.2 GHz (no voltages have been tampered with).
-I am not OCing anything in my case.
-CPU temps never reach over 55-60C under load; 11-24C idle.
-I have good airflow in my 600T case.
-The PSU has been in another rig but is still less than a year old (Corsair AX850)
-Ambient temps of both our rooms are nearly the same at about 24C.
-Case fans are in the same orientation in both rigs (stock 600T config)
-Cool & Quite is enabled.

While a new cooler is ideal, I'd like to find out why my fan is working much harder than my buddy's.

It seems to run very stable after hours of testing in PRIME95.

Any ideas? Let me know if I'm missing anything.

I failed to mention that it isn't a constant 3500RPM. It idles all over the place as soon as the CPU core goes over 10% load.
The CPU fan is plugged into the correct header (the one in the upper left corner). I am not using a fan controller for this specific fan.
As for the fan not spinning down, it seems to spin up and down a lot during idle to compensate for jumping temps.
I checked the fan header pins, they're fine.

Please let me know. It's driving me crazy!
 08/26/2012 01:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

My guess would be that the thermol sencers are out on your board, I mean look at your idle temp, how can it be 13 degrees cooler than ambient?
Also that the fan is spinning up and down during idle tells me that your mobo is getting crazy temp readings.

If this is the case than the only way to fix it is to drop in a aftermarket cooler and disable auto fan control.

-------------------------
PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information