AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Where are my other three cores?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/16/2007 12:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/16/2007 12:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zootal

After a week of running XP64 on a Phenom 9500, I noticed today that task manager no longer shows 4 processors, but only shows 1. Any idea what causes this? How can I tell if my other cores are actually doing anything?

-------------------------
Zoot!
 12/16/2007 01:03 AM

Author Icon
majmac01

Download AMD Overdrive and see what it reports. I presume that task manager is set to show multi cores?
 12/16/2007 01:49 AM

Author Icon
zootal

How do you set task manager to show multi cores? I don't see any such options anywhere. There is one menu option: View->CPU History->One Graph per CPU, but it is disabled and can't be selected.

If I try to setup performance counters, it only shows one cpu, cpu 0, as the only instance. Processor Performance shows all 4 processors.

Device manager shows 4 processors, and all of them are enabled. Nothing is disabled or showing an error indicator.

System Properties->General shows "AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor, 2.20GHz, 4.00 GB of RAM.

I tried to run AMD overdrive, but it complains that it "cannot detect AMD R700 chipset". My mobo has an RS690 chipset, which apparently is not supporte by AMD Overdrive.

So I installed
AMD Power Monitor. Ahh..it tells me "Your system is equipped with multi-core processors, however support is not enabled in your OS and/or BIOS.". OK, I"ll bite - how do you enable it? I'm not aware of doing anything that would have disabled it!

Zoot!
 12/16/2007 02:21 AM

Author Icon
blizard

Download: Process Explorerer
This tool should let you see both core at once. As you can see it is part of MS tools.

It is strange that you can not see both core in Task Manager by one graph pr CPU (=core). Did you make a clean install of Windows XP64 or did you just go from a dual core/single core to quad core on the same OS?

When you change how many core/CPU you have it is best to make a fresh install to avoid problem with HAL (it is part of how hardware via BIOS communicate with OS). Here is a guide: link
There are also some link to toolo which can be useful to see how OS/BIOS detect your hardware.

I suppose you have seen those tools from AMD site, but I make a link just to be sure: link

Did you use AMD Phenom Processor Driver or any more then Power Monitor from this site?

What brand are your motherboard, do they have any site to see if there are more people with the same problem as you have?

Did you update your BIOS from MB vendor to support your CPU or did you install it without checking that your motherboard would have support for Phenom?

As far as I can see aren't AMD Overdrive meant for other chipset then those new AMD 7xx. Take a look at the right where you have option on this page: 7 series chipset it states.

Don't use software of this type if you aren't sure that it is meant for your hardware. I would look at your motherboard vendors site for this kind of tool first and make sure those that give me advice really know what they are talking about. You chipset as you said belong to the older AM2 chipset (AMD690G) which where not designed to operate like those new chipset AMD 770, 790X or 790FX with AMD Overdrive.

Abit AT8-32X (Xpress3200)/Athlon64 X2 4200+@stock/Corsair VS 2GB/Samsung SATA II 2x 250 GB/Club3D X1950XT GDDR3 256MB+ PowerColor Theatre 550 pro (PCIe x1)

Edited: 12/16/2007 at 02:38 AM by blizard
 12/16/2007 03:59 PM

Author Icon
zootal

Someone on the ms xp64 forum suggested I update the device in device manager under computer, which is "ACPI Multiprocessor x64-based PC". Right click, select update driver. Reboot. Now I see 4 cores. AMD Power monitor shows 4 cores. I'm not sure why.

Would it be worth it to replace my motherboard with a 7xx series chipset? Will get enough of a performance boost out of it to make it worth it?

Zoot!
 12/18/2007 11:28 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Alt-Ctrl-Del --> View --> CPU history --> show multiple. Enable this if it's on single graph.

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 12/19/2007 06:26 AM

Author Icon
Rhythmeister

Did you install/ repair windoze with the new CPU in the board? If not, yr HAL will not reflect the hardware in place!

FX-62 @3.0GHz
TF7025-M2
Club 3D HD3870
2GB HyperX (3, 3, 3, 10 1T at 2.35V!)
Silverstone ST56F
Lanbox lite
...'nuff said ;)
 12/19/2007 11:07 AM

Author Icon
zootal

Originally posted by: Overmind
Alt-Ctrl-Del --> View --> CPU history --> show multiple. Enable this if it's on single graph.

It was selected and disabled. That wasn't the problem.

Zoot!
 12/19/2007 11:08 AM

Author Icon
zootal

Originally posted by: Rhythmeister

Did you install/ repair windoze with the new CPU in the board? If not, yr HAL will not reflect the hardware in place!

I did a clean install. It worked for a few days, then stopped. Something I did must have changed something - I updated the driver for computer->"ACPI Multiprocessor x64-based PC", and it started working again. Go figure?

Zoot!
 12/19/2007 01:27 PM

Author Icon
blizard

Originally posted by: zootal

Someone on the ms xp64 forum suggested I update the device in device manager under computer, which is "ACPI Multiprocessor x64-based PC". Right click, select update driver. Reboot. Now I see 4 cores. AMD Power monitor shows 4 cores. I'm not sure why.

Would it be worth it to replace my motherboard with a 7xx series chipset? Will get enough of a performance boost out of it to make it worth it?

Have you google on Gigabyte, MSI and Asus offer for AMD 7XX chipset? Search for benchmark and reviews that are made after Phenom was released. (This is to avoid engineering sample of Phenom - ES.) If you have you will see that some have had very little problem while other tester and user seem to have the same trail-and-error problem to get things to work.

With new MB chipset it is always better to give it some time, so the worse hardware problem can be corrected or adjusted (in BIOS or by hardware). It is not unusual wit a revision of motherboards, so I would suggest to wait. But if you need a new MB right now then it is as good to jump into it and see if it would offer you better stability.

Performance boost will not be that much as I have seen as there are some reduction for this first revision that hold it back to utilize full HTT 3.0 speed. What you will gain are more control for each core to individually adjust speed. (Cool n Quiet 2.0 + split power plane).

From reviewer of those new chipset I can recall that they claim vendor will use better components to give cleaner power to CPU and memory. High quality component make at least a better start then AM2 MB which can be more different in what kind of components that are used for chipset.

Abit AT8-32X (Xpress3200)/Athlon64 X2 4200+@stock/Corsair VS 2GB/Samsung SATA II 2x 250 GB/Club3D X1950XT GDDR3 256MB+ PowerColor Theatre 550 pro (PCIe x1)
 01/13/2008 01:31 AM

Author Icon
SoloBuggMaster

Download a program called prime95 (just google it)
It will download as a folder
Make 4 copies of the folder (1 for each core)
go into each folder and double click the execution file
Under options select torture test, then select "small ffts some ram tested maximum heat maximum power usage" then click start
if your CPU is at 25% usage when only one instance of prime95 is up then something is seriously wrong and they packaged you the wrong CPU and gave you a single core
If you are able to open up 2 instances of prime95 (one in each folder) and it tells you 100% usage, then you are using a CPU incorrectly packaged as a dual core
If you are able to open 4 instances of prime95 (one in each folder) and it tells you 100% usage, then you should be safe and you really do have a quad core
 01/13/2008 12:29 PM

Author Icon
zootal

I've never doubted I had 4 cores - for a while it worked as expected, and if I boot to XP32 it works. It was XP64 that was broken.

I did try Prime95, and it worked as expected. Each instance would use the core I set it to use.

Zoot!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information