Topic Title: A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor
Topic Summary: Oh mai
Created On: 12/19/2007 08:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/10/2008 07:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Silentscooter

Thanks for the reply Kazgirl and Raiderman.

I will try and bring it back to the retailer and see what they will do, but most likely they will send me to AMD.

-------------------------
M3N HT Deluxe
Phenom X4 940, watercooled
4GIG OCZ 1066, SLI ready
BFG GTX 260 (216) in SLI
Antec 850 Watt
Case Coolermaster HAF
Gaming @ 1680x1050
 02/11/2008 01:23 AM

Author Icon
mabran

I have recieved this very same interrup error as well as many others while running Vista x64. However Vista 32 bit has been running flawlessly with none of the problems of X64. While I prefer to run the X64 version, I think the processor is fine and has more to do with the bios and Vista X64 right now.

I have tried multiple boards with my same 9500 and the only one that gives me issue is Vista x64 on the M3A but none of the other boards I have tried have been a problem. Vista 32 bit is 100% stable on the M3A but throw 64 bit on there and all heck breaks loose.
 02/18/2008 08:15 PM

Author Icon
Quark

Originally posted by: dcfan60

I can tell you how to do it. its very easy. AOD does work for Nvidia Chipsets but only in versions Below 2.0.10 and for Vista 64bit aparently only version 2.0.14 does work but it says you must have a 7xx chipset. any way here is how I did it

1.- Get AMD OverDrive 2.0.9 and 2.0.14. (you can probably use 2.0.7 too but I used 2.0.9)

2.- install AOD 2.0.14, now go to were it was installed. by default its "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\AMD OverDrive\amd64" there is a file there called AODDriver.sys there, you need copy that file to your desktop.

3.- Now uninstall AOD 2.0.14 and install 2.0.9

4.- Now go back to the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\AMD OverDrive\amd64" and replace the "AODDriver.sys" with the one from your desktop.

As I said B4 the only thing that works is the Multi Changer and the parts where it tells you your current CPU's speed. you cant change anything else and any other monitor like the Vcore and Temp do not work at all. I use it in combination with CPUz 1.4.3 so I can actualy read the VCORE voltage.

This worked with a ASUS M2N-SLI Delux bios 1302 and a 9500 phenom. GL all and remeber if you do anything to your comp it was your idea and its not my fault if you blow it up. [IMG][/IMG]

You also wrote on XS :
note: I Posted all this in the AMD official forums and how to hack AMD overdrive but they Deleted my post as soon as they saw the hack. haha.

As you can see, your post IS here, on this very thread!

Edited: 02/18/2008 at 08:21 PM by Quark
 02/21/2008 09:21 AM

Author Icon
Kab

I'm not sure what you guys are saying. Like here: http://techrepublic.com.com/52...readID=240472&start=0

Core 2 Duo's had this problem too randomly. So what does that mean faulty 3rd core?

I hope you guys are not on Vista! It has known problems like this and of that when overclocking Phenom. You will get stuck at ~ 2.5GHz and 235 HT.

If you are, then like many others who know about Vista problems (even with AOD), then move over to XP and see for yourself the difference. Vista is a totally inadequate test platform, it is extremely buggy itself and has hundreds of incompatibility and performance issues yet.
 02/29/2008 06:39 AM

Author Icon
SneakyUK

I was having this problem, but it looks like I've solved it.

I sent an email to AMD tech support about the issue and they replied telling me that my PSU was under powered. I swapped out my old 300W PSU (which claimed to supply 18A on its 12v rail) and replaced it with a Antec EA 500 - 500 Watt ATX12V v2.0 PSU
which can supply 17Amps on each of 2 12v rails.

Problem solved.

Phenom 9500
2 Gb of Crucial Ballistix (2*1Gb)DDR2 PC2-6400
Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 motherboard
GeForce 8400 GS
Vista 64 ultimate.
 02/29/2008 07:50 AM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

HI SneakyUK good to know..!!

But if I had a 300W PSU it would be the first thing I would have thought of, in my case I have a Thermaltake Toughpower 750W PSU and also a seperate 250W VGA PSU dedicated to the gfx cards, so its not a power issue in my case.

But it may be for others so thanks for posting your solution.

Glad you got yours working...!!!

3DMark06 = 20717 / 3DMark Vantage = P13618 / My Overclock Guide / My Troubleshooting Guide
 03/02/2008 03:19 AM

Author Icon
BlackPanther26

I think all core #2 logical core 3 is bad to some point. others though are stornger and will take more of a beating. Why do I assume this. Well going from 2.8GHz to 2.9GHz on voltage that was at 1.2875v that was stable at 2.8GHz. So I've decied to run prim95 and you guesed it. With in the first minute core 2 failed the test while cores 0,1, and 3 went on. AMD could say that there is a posible error with core 2 but I don't think they want people to know becuase they are afraid of people not buying the product. So if it was not for core 3 I could probally hit 3GHz with 1.33v instead of 1.4v.

[url=http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=364909][/url]
 03/02/2008 01:30 PM

Author Icon
AnakinVaderWalker

Originally posted by: mabran

I have recieved this very same interrup error as well as many others while running Vista x64. However Vista 32 bit has been running flawlessly with none of the problems of X64. While I prefer to run the X64 version, I think the processor is fine and has more to do with the bios and Vista X64 right now.

I have tried multiple boards with my same 9500 and the only one that gives me issue is Vista x64 on the M3A but none of the other boards I have tried have been a problem. Vista 32 bit is 100% stable on the M3A but throw 64 bit on there and all heck breaks loose.

"A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within an allocated time"

Are any of you getting this under 32-bit operating systems?

AMD Phenom 9600 B2 - 2.48 GHz - 1.25V - 43C hot idle
Asus M3A - AMD 770 - 216 MHz ref. clock
Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB - 575 MHz - 2.25V
Sapphire HD3870 - 815/1176 MHz
24" Samsung 245bw (Crap, don't buy Samsung!)
--- Building an AM3 Dragon ---
Lian Li PC-B25 (blue ring)
Corsair TX750W

Edited: 03/02/2008 at 01:31 PM by AnakinVaderWalker
 03/05/2008 03:38 PM

Author Icon
stubbie

So I bought another CPU, and Athlon Dual Core 6400+ black edition. I popped that in my machine, changing nothing else, and I haven't crashed even once. I've left the computer on for 2 weeks straight.

So I sent my Phenom 9600 to AMD via RMA. They tested it with a few different motherboards, and Vista 64 bit and Vista 32 bit with no problems. They never tried my exact motherboard, but they tried a Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 that has the same chipset as my GA-MA790FX-DQ6, and had no problems.

I already tried swapping out memory and the videocard with no success.
So is it really possible that I could have a bad motherboard that only exhibits a problem with the Phenom and not another CPU?

Or is this infamous "clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor" problem actually an issue with Vista 64 and the Phenom?

Does anyone else have a GA-MA790FX-DQ6, Phenom 9600, and Vista 64 bit?

My configuration that doesn't work is:
- Phenom 9600
- 4x1 GB DDR2 1066
- Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DQ6
- EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
- 4x750 GB WD HD, RAID 0+1
- Vista Ultimate 64bit

~stubbie
 03/11/2008 06:52 AM

Author Icon
gramps442

A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within an allocated time
Same problem for me. New system. Board is Matx, Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H. It is supposed to be a true AM2+ board. Processor is Phenom 9600 "Black Box", HD960ZWCGDBOX. Different memory attempted with same results. Included; Crucial Ballistix Tracer Kit of 2 BL12864AL1065.8FE5 (2 packages for 4 total), Then tried Kingston KVR800D2N5/1G for a total of 2 sticks. RAID setup with 2 WD 500GB HD's. 350 watt PS, (I thought it was 400), but replaced it with a 650 watt PS, which I think should be enough by calculating about 425 watts total If I add a graphics card. OS: I have tried Vista Ultimate 64, and XP Pro 32 with same results. Bios updated. Initially thought problem was the Crucial memory.
Tried multiple configurations in slots, different settings in bios for speed, single channel, dual channel and voltage. Highest voltage allowed by bios was about 2.1V with max on the memory supposed to be 2.2V if not overclocking. The Kingston memory had the same problem, but stayed with the default voltage, which was the same as the stock voltage for the memory. Tried optimized and fail safe settins in bios. I think I tried about every tweak I could think of. Sometimes I could not finish install before blue screen, and other times it would start the blue screens while installing windows updates. System max temp so far below 35C and max CPU about 40C, but usually in 30's. Always the same blue screen.
The only thing I can think of to try is to use memory that has been tested by both the Gigabyte and AMD for these products, but there are only a few. One is Kingston ValuRam KVR1066D2N7/1G for individual stick, or KVR1066D2N7K2/2G for kit of 2. I have tried to look online for specs so I could substitute a high performance set, but I can only find general specs on Kingston's web site. I am unable to find this locally, so deciding whether to order a set or not.
I have never had this much problem building a computer. My gut feeling is that there is a problem with the processor. It probably was not tested with enough combinations of motherboard and memory. It seems we are the beta testers.
After reading the forums, I am trying to decide whether to invest anothet 2 or 3 hundred in memory, or just give up and buy another processor, such as the dual core 6400+. I have had very good luck with these.
I would appreciate any ideas from you.

Edited: 03/11/2008 at 08:08 AM by gramps442
 03/11/2008 09:30 AM

Author Icon
Kab

^The motherboard has nothing to do with it in your cases. Vista X64. Why not change OS and see? Many known users online and in my department at work have already tested this issue, poor software and hardware support, poor performance and poor overclock and it's specific to Vista x64 only (the interrupt not recieved can be AM2 motherboard BIOS too).
Vista SP1 has the TLB fix applied by the way.

I can't reply to users in detail or spend time on here since I have no free time here.
 03/11/2008 11:19 AM

Author Icon
gramps442

To Kab: I tried XP Pro, and had same blue screen problems. I appreciate the advice though. Vista seems to be a PRE-beta dumped on the unsuspecting public for hundreds of dollars. I'd go on, but wrong forum.

Edited: 03/11/2008 at 12:50 PM by gramps442
 03/12/2008 06:10 PM

Author Icon
GuyAdams

As much as I would like to agree with you all on the bad processor batch I can't.

Ive experienced the BSOD on two machines both with 64bit Vista, one Phenom 9600 and one 9500.

In both cases installing 32bit Vista solved the problem, both machines stable and working perfectly.

I would however love to figure it out as I really wanted to run with 8GB of RAM.

Thanks
 03/12/2008 06:17 PM

Author Icon
GuyAdams

Opps double post, apologies.

Edited: 03/12/2008 at 06:20 PM by GuyAdams
 03/12/2008 09:42 PM

Author Icon
gramps442

After 4 days of trying to make the processor work including trying XP Pro 32 bit, I was so fed up I went to the local PC store and spent a bloody fortune to purchase an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+. It took less than ten minutes to install it. Computer booted up and ran without ANY problems. Even downloaded BOINC, and running the CPU at 90% load over the last 24 hours. So say what you want, I dislike Vista as much as most , I suppose, but at least in my case I had the EXACT same blue screen with XP Pro 32 bit. I wouldn't put that Phenom processor back in that computer if it was FREE. It's really sad, this is the first mATX board I found that was specially designed to utilize the full capability of the Phenom (see previous post, lots of detail of the ordeal). I wonder about the Vista 64 having the capability to use all the cores as opposed to Vista 32, but that doesn't explain why XP Pro had the same issue. By the way, I'm not hearing much about what AMD is doing about this. Microsoft sure isn't going to help anyone. It will be up to AMD, if they want to survive this potential disaster. AMD, WAKE UP! WE ARE YOUR CHAMPIONS. The only reasion we are in this forum is to help you work these bugs out. Please let us know what you are doing. The last thing we need is for Intel to be our only choice. Thank you. Tony S.
 03/21/2008 11:31 AM

Author Icon
1x

Originally posted by: gramps442

To Kab: I tried XP Pro, and had same blue screen problems. I appreciate the advice though. Vista seems to be a PRE-beta dumped on the unsuspecting public for hundreds of dollars. I'd go on, but wrong forum.

Yeah, I have griped about Vista for a while now. I would like to run it, while I had it going it was nice and the 32 bit version may work for me but I was a moron and tried the 64 bit version when I first installed my Phenom. That is probably the main reason I treat it so gingerly, that and my cooling issues.

I had the same BSOD problem, and some other huge problems that mainly stemmed from letting a friend finish my pc while I went out for food (again, Im a moron), but that was all fixed after a frustrating weekend. The only lingering problem that haunted me was that BSOD, and it has been fixed for over 3 weeks now because I abolished Vista from my machine and went running back to XP.

Haven't had a single error out of it, and I am starting to feel safe again. I have actually began working on the other problems with my machine, namely the mobo. Everything runs so slow its shameful, but the point is going back to 32 bit worked for me, but I havent overclocked the processor by more than 250 Mhz yet. Soon though...

Phenom 9500 @ 2.2 ghz
Asus M3A Mobo
3 gb Corsair RAM (cheap version)
MSI Nvidia GeForce 8800GT
Running Windows XP Pro
 04/06/2008 02:19 PM

Author Icon
modmadmike

I got this same error, i believe it is actually the TLB erratum. But unlike you guys, at that point i was running a visualization program called "VirtualBox" (open source/freeware) at the moment i got it i was using vista x64 as the host and xp as the guest os. I had purposely disabled the TLB fix because it slows down my pc to a snails pace and i don't get the error a lot (this actually was the first time) and when i do get i I just reboot, and continue what i was doing but keeping out for what caused the problem (this time it was the guest os conflicting over the host over who got to read/write a USB flash drive first [computers fight too]) So i am going to disable that usb filter when i return to my pc. One major problem i have had is that i couldn't install Ubuntu in virtual box because it wouldn't get past the flashing under score ( a _ ) yet i was able to install windows thus I am just going to copy a preconfigured Virtual machine off of my laptop.

ASUS M3A
AMD Phenom 9600 TLB-fix DISABLED
2gb Transcend RAM
NVIDIA 7600
580watt PSU
5.2surround sound
TV tuner
22inch-w monitor
VISTA Home premium x64
VirtualBox virtualization
 04/06/2008 02:53 PM

Author Icon
Rosenpark

Also had this problem last month. I bought a Phenom 9500 and it will ramdomly hang during boot, hang in the BIOS, or BSOD with 0x101 under Vista x64. The problem can be solved with setting the BIOS mutipiler to 10x, mean running 2000 MHz (10.5x only can lower the hang-up probability). I selected to change the processor with the dealer and the problem finally disappeared.

To my experience it seems to be a QA issue, should be filtered after fabrication but actually it's not. The faulty processor I changed shows the same error or hang-ups on dealer's test machine, while I personally use Gigabyte MA790FX-DQ6. It seems not an erratum 298 issue, since I already enabled the BIOS patch but the system can still freeze anytime including the POST screen.

Edited: 04/06/2008 at 02:54 PM by Rosenpark
 04/07/2008 12:11 AM

Author Icon
gramps442

I agree with Rosenpark. A QA issue would certainly explain the lack of pattern we are seeing in successful vs unsucessful systems. Possibly some variation in the manufacturing process. Here we are, trying to alter our systems trying to make a defective processor work.
 04/09/2008 04:03 PM

Author Icon
TheReij

I've been getting the same issue with a 9600BE on Vista Home Premium x64, AMD believes it's a bad core, I'm waiting to see what they say regarding this. FYI, I tried XP on it and I still had the issues.

Phenom 9600BE
Gigabyte MA790X-DS4
4GB Crucial Ballistix (1066MHz)
Radeon HD3870
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750w
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information