AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Phenom 9500 and M2N32SLI Deluxe finally working..!!!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/29/2007 03:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/29/2007 03:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

Hi Guys,

Well I finally got around to flashing to a new BIOS, the BIOS is actually meant for the M2N32SLI Premium mobo, rather than the Deluxe mobo, as theres still no new BIOS availale on teh Deluxe downloads page.....but I got fed up of waiting so decided to go ahead with the Premium BIOS.

I just finished flashing and re-installing the Phenom....quick tip to people who want to do this, before swapping out the CPU's go into the BIOS and set everything at default values, as I had to do a CLR CMOS as I had left the BIOS at the 6400+ settings.... its possible that you may still need to do a CLR CMOS, but maybe by restoring the BIOSD to default settings before removing the old CPU may avoid it...

Anyway, I finished getting everythingn installed and ran a quick 3DMark06 run, just to see if it had helped......and well as you may recall the last time I installed the Phenom and tried 3DMark06 I scored a pathetic 5700-6000, whereas my previous score with the 6400+ had been 12800 or so.....

Well now with this new BIOS and with everything at stock, I get a much better 11285 score:

This is a quick result, I've yet to try checking the BIOS to see if its also fixed the RAM SLI Profiles problem that I was having, and I've also yet to try to OC anything, those will be the next steps......but I'm a lot happier with the performance with this latest BIOS from early signs......

I'll try to update with any progress here....!!! ....

-------------------------

3DMark06 = 20717 / 3DMark Vantage = P13618 / My Overclock Guide / My Troubleshooting Guide
 12/29/2007 07:57 AM

Author Icon
Evax

there is hope yet.
 12/29/2007 02:00 PM

Author Icon
sho'd

What bios are you using, asus web site states that the 1503 includes phenom support, there should be no issue with the bios for the m2n32-sli mother board. i have the deluxe wi-fi, i have already flashed, but have yet to get a phenom processor, waiting for some cash to pick up a 9700.

here is a link to the info about bios and supported mb's

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

enter phenom cpu and it'll bring up the mb's supporting it, along with the current bios that supports them.

Edited: 12/29/2007 at 02:05 PM by sho'd
 12/29/2007 03:04 PM

Author Icon
jasonmsw

Kazgirl? Have you run OCCT yet? if so is it stable?

12/29/2007 04:18 PM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

Originally posted by: sho'd

What bios are you using, asus web site states that the 1503 includes phenom support, there should be no issue with the bios for the m2n32-sli mother board. i have the deluxe wi-fi, i have already flashed, but have yet to get a phenom processor, waiting for some cash to pick up a 9700.

here is a link to the info about bios and supported mb's

http://support.asus.com/cpusup...cpusupport.aspx

enter phenom cpu and it'll bring up the mb's supporting it, along with the current bios that supports them.

Hi Sho'd,

Yes I had already tried the 1503 BIOS which is when I had the problems with the HT link, giving me a low 3dm06 score of 5700, the BIOS I'm using now is the latest BIOS for the m2n32sli premium, which is a new release fixing the HT Link problem, but ASUS have yet to release a new BIOS for the Deluxe fixing the problem, whilst this BIOS for the Premium has been available since the 17/12/07, I waited untl yesterday to see if they would give a new BIOS for the Deluxe as well, but nothing has appeared yet.

@ Jasonmsw,

I havn't had a chance to give it any serious stress testing yet, but so far early indications are that there are still some problems that need sorting, it still doesn't support the SLI Profiles of the RAM, and refuses to POST if any attempt is made to use the RAM's rated settings.

I've also noticed that every now and then even with everything set to stock that it boots at 2310Mhz, and then shortly after booting at this speed, theres a BSOD shortly afterwards, giving a MEMORY_MANAGeMENT error message, so seems that theres still some work needed on the BIOS, as I know that all my RAM is good.

I have come across a 1603 BIOS now for the M2N32SLI, which has apparently been e-mailed to another user by ASUS, though its not currently avaialble on the downloads page at ASUS, I've managed to get my hands on a copy, so will give it a try a little later to see if it helps with any of the remaining problems.

But seems that some progress is being made, but its just taking a veruy long time to filter through to users at the moment......

I'll update on any progress with the 1603 BIOS after I've given it a try later today..

3DMark06 = 20717 / 3DMark Vantage = P13618 / My Overclock Guide / My Troubleshooting Guide
 12/29/2007 06:21 PM

Author Icon
sho'd

exellent, you must be pulling your hair out. well i do hope you get it working seeing as we have the same motherboard, i guess i will hang off for a few before buying one of these, as i have no idea about how to work on bios's, just know how to flash them. definitly keep us updated, i know were to look now anyhow for the correct bios, you seem to know alot about the workings that i have no clue, thanks for setting me strait as well, at least i know what is what with the bios's. ***** complicated.
 12/30/2007 05:24 AM

Author Icon
coolharris93

Hey kaz!!!could you search to find if there's an new bios for my mobo m2n32ws professional?please!i wanna phenom in my case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:XD
 12/30/2007 07:53 AM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

HIya,

I've had a look to see what I can find and the 1703 BIOS is the last one I can find for it as well, I think its a case of either just having to wait it out for ASUS to provide a BIOS, or trying to cross flash a BIOS for a similar mobo.

Which is what I did initially, until the 1603 BIOS turned up, though its not done anything that the 0803 BIOS for the Premium mobo didn't do anyway.

I can say that even with this latest BIOS it still doesnt like any attempt at OC'ng I tried for a simple 10MHz CPU fre increase to give a 2300MHz speed, so a mere 100Mhz increase, and it started throwing up all kinds of BSOD's, mostly related to memory issues.

The BIOS still doesnt support my RAM's SLI Profiles, and still won't run at the RAM manufacturers rated settings, so seems that theres still a lot of work need from ASUS to get the BIOS tweaked a bit more to give better RAM support, maybe this will pan out in time...!!!!!

12/30/2007 10:44 AM

Author Icon
Arturs111

Originally posted by: kazgirl
....The BIOS still doesnt support my RAM's SLI Profiles, and still won't run at the RAM manufacturers rated settings, so seems that theres still a lot of work need from ASUS to get the BIOS tweaked a bit more to give better RAM support, maybe this will pan out in time...!!!!!

Hi!
I use Bios 16.03 finded in internet (not on a oficial Asus sites). SLI Profiles work but here is bug: Ras precharge (tRP) allways sets lover than in EPP (3 instead of 4, 4 instead of 5), therefore memofy can work normaly wen you rise memory voltage as on higher EPP level (2.2v instead of 2.0v in 800Mhz mode). For example, EPP mode - high performance looks like: 4-4-3-12 @ 800, 2.2V
 12/30/2007 01:36 PM

Author Icon
greatcaesar

Hello, I'm new to the forums but I too have the exact same rig setup as you with the same board (M2N32-SLI Deluxe) and processor (Phenom 9500). I got mine to work after socketing an old AM2 processor then updating the BIOS to 1503 then replacing the old AM2 with the Phenom. Everything is working fine right now however I cannot get CnQ to work at all! I have tried the new Asus CnQ driver update and everytime I try to run it, it just says the CPU doesn't support CnQ. Have you tried using the CnQ software yet? If you got yours to work pleas let me know how you did it. I have mine enabled in the Bios and everything.

Thanks!
 12/30/2007 04:11 PM

Author Icon
keithlm

Originally posted by: kazgirl

H.....and well as you may recall the last time I installed the Phenom and tried 3DMark06 I scored a pathetic 5700-6000, whereas my previous score with the 6400+ had been 12800 or so.....

Well now with this new BIOS and with everything at stock, I get a much better 11285 score:

Nevermind. (Posting removed.)

SIDE NOTE: I just remembered: I have a Zalman 9700 CPU cooler. (So I guess I need to buy a 9700 CPU to be cooled by it.)

Edited: 12/30/2007 at 11:20 PM by keithlm
 12/30/2007 06:38 PM

Author Icon
Arturs111

Originally posted by: greatcaesar

Hello, I'm new to the forums but I too have the exact same rig setup as you with the same board (M2N32-SLI Deluxe) and processor (Phenom 9500). I got mine to work after socketing an old AM2 processor then updating the BIOS to 1503 then replacing the old AM2 with the Phenom. Everything is working fine right now however I cannot get CnQ to work at all! I have tried the new Asus CnQ driver update and everytime I try to run it, it just says the CPU doesn't support CnQ. Have you tried using the CnQ software yet? If you got yours to work pleas let me know how you did it. I have mine enabled in the Bios and everything.

Thanks!

I use Cool & Quiet, it works perfect! Lowest CPU clock is 1100Mhz, every core rise clock independendently.

Make sure that Cool&Quiet is turned on and AI tune is turned of in BIOS, in windows "Minimal power management" power scheme is selected.
 12/30/2007 10:12 PM

Author Icon
greatcaesar

Are you using the M2N32SLI-Deluxe motherboard? There is no actual way to turn OFF AI tuning. You can leave it on "auto", "manual", "standard", "AI Overclock", and "AI NOS". If I leave AI tuning on Auto and turn on the AMD CnQ in the BIOS and turn power management to "minimal" it still doesn't work. The only thing I noticed in the BIOS is that when I go to turn the AMD CnQ function on the only two options I have are "auto" or "disable"...shouldn't there be an "enable"? When I go to run CnQ software version 2.009 it says "This CPU doesn't support Cool & Quiet Function".

Thanks again
 12/30/2007 10:52 PM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

Hi Guys,

Just got a quick upddate for you....

Well I've bee using the Phenom and the 1603 BIOS for a whole day, with seemingly no problems.

It still doesn't like any attempt at OC'ng, and still doesn't support the SLI Profiles for my RAM, whether this is as a result of maybe ASUS not having gotten around to including such support for Patriot RAM, I don't know, as Arturs has reported that his RAM SLI Profiles are for the most part ok, allbeit with a small bug.

Well the Patrot RAM I have it seems that the RAM SLI Profiles aren't suported, whilst booting it reports that SLI capable RAM is detected, however any attempt at enabling RAM SLI Profiles int he BIOS results in a failure to POST.....I have tried using each setting, OPtimal, High Performance and High FFrequency and have set the RAM Voltage to the max recommended by the manufacturer, 2.3v....all to no avail.

Anyway as I say I used the computer all afternoon for about 7 hours, running 5-6 different applications at once, and it was problem free.

Howeve, upon re-starting the PC, after having gotten a few hours sleep, I have suddenly been preseted with the clock interrupt BSOD message again...... this happened right at Windows startup, right after the login screen.....

So I'm thinking that there are still some problems and most likely with the CPU itself, as the HT issue seems now to have been resolved, unless of course as I have mentioned previously there still some compatability problems with HT 3.0 and the original HT standards...... this could be a possible explanation for the seeming randomness of the problem.....

I wonder if anyone who is running a AM2+ mobo has been experiencing the clock interrupt problem....... I'll go back and look at the thread on that to see if its limited to AM2 mobo's or also to the AM2+ mobo's, in which case this would seem to point to the CPU being the culprit IMO....

Anyway after a re-start it booted up fine, and is running seemingly OK again at the moment, at stock settings.....

I am still considering whether or not to go back to my 6400+ CPU, OK theres only a marginal difference, but that was at least 100% stable at 3520Mhz, and fully supported my RAM...... at the moment with the Phenom installed I still can't get any more than the stock 2200Mhz speed, my RAM is running at 5-5-5-16 2T, and there are the very occassional BSOD's.......so all in all I'm still not 100% happy with the Phenom.... the only problem is that I can't really say at this point whether it is the CPU or whether its due again to inadeqaute BIOS support, it seems that some of the BSOD's are being caused to memory management issues, so I'm wondering if the fact that my RAM doesn't seem to be fully supported by this BIOS is still an underlying cause of the problems......

Anyway sorry this turned to be not so "quick" an update as isaid at the start, but thats the current situation as it stands......

I'll probably persevere a little longer with the Phenom in now that I have installed it, and monitor how frequently it BSOD's on me, before deciding whether or not to re-install the 6400+......

Best wishes all

Kaz

12/31/2007 05:34 AM

Author Icon
Arturs111

Originally posted by: greatcaesar

Are you using the M2N32SLI-Deluxe motherboard? There is no actual way to turn OFF AI tuning. You can leave it on "auto", "manual", "standard", "AI Overclock", and "AI NOS". If I leave AI tuning on Auto and turn on the AMD CnQ in the BIOS and turn power management to "minimal" it still doesn't work. The only thing I noticed in the BIOS is that when I go to turn the AMD CnQ function on the only two options I have are "auto" or "disable"...shouldn't there be an "enable"? When I go to run CnQ software version 2.009 it says "This CPU doesn't support Cool & Quiet Function".

Thanks again

I using M2N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard! I use CPU driver, downloaded from AMD site, driver name is AMD Phenomtm Processor Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (x86 and x64)
 12/31/2007 08:08 PM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

Hi Arturees I have tried to install the Phenom CPU driver that ypou mention above before, but unfortunately it will not install on Vista, just gives a message saying "This OS does not support....."

Tried running as Admin, and also in Compatability mode but no luck....

I wonder if AMD is going to get a new version that IS compatible with Vista for us...????

01/03/2008 12:52 AM

Author Icon
blTb

Hi Arturees I have tried to install the Phenom CPU driver that ypou mention above before, but unfortunately it will not install on Vista, just gives a message saying "This OS does not support....."

Tried running as Admin, and also in Compatability mode but no luck....

I wonder if AMD is going to get a new version that IS compatible with Vista for us...????

Vista has a built-in driver. If you install AMD CPU Driver for WINXP/2003 on Vista(i did it!) - it will always work at maximum power saving mode(200x5.5 = 1100MHz).

This is why i had troubles with my Phenom 9500 on M2N SLI Deluxe=)
 01/04/2008 01:11 AM

Author Icon
greatcaesar

OK I downloaded the 1.3.2.0053 AMD Phenom driver and I've tried installing it to both the Program Files (x86) and the regular Program Files folder with no avail. I even tried installing the CnQ software to both each program files folders and it still says it doesn't support it. Again, I'm running Windows XP Pro x64 edition...maybe I'm just fubar until there's a fix...?...Anyone else with any other ideas?
 01/13/2008 01:17 AM

Author Icon
SoloBuggMaster

Strange, we have the same Specs, except for our GPUs, I use 8800gts 512, but I score 10,058. I wonder what my problem is (same m2n32-sli deluxe here but I use BIOS version 1603
Wait nvm, you're in SLI, I'm single GPU

Edited: 01/13/2008 at 01:18 AM by SoloBuggMaster
 01/14/2008 07:43 AM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

Hi guys,

Well I just found a 1701 BIOS for the M2N32SLI, its still not available on the official ASUS support downloads page, surprisingly enough they still only have the faulty 1503 BIOS.

Anyway I'm testing the 1701 BIOS right now, theres no new settings available, and the RAM SLI Profiles are stll not working, so I still can't get my RAM to run at its rated 4-4-4-12 2T.

Also setting the vdimm to 2.2v caused it to fail to POST, it will only POST at 2.3v, which is a bit of a concern given that the 2.3v is the max rated voltage.

I've got a feeling that its got something to do with the RAM dividers, as theres the new setting there for DDR2-1066, so I'm thinking this may be throwing things off a bit.

So far I can't see that theres been any change with this BIOS over the 1603 BIOS.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information