Topic Title: Phenom 9500 + Asus M3A very low performance
Topic Summary: Any help is appreciated!
Created On: 01/12/2008 03:37 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/25/2008 06:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dkrule

For some reason, I think I never love microsoft as much as I do atm. I've just installed the Vista RC1 (service pack beta), and i notice my game performance boost up a little bit. Not as laggy as they were, however the crashes still occur.
Appreciate any info on the newest bios (fixes?)
Thx in advance.
 01/26/2008 10:26 PM

Author Icon
mabran

Been reading for a while and just joined today so hello everyone.

I recently apgraded my 939 4200+ to an M3A/9500 phenom combo. Specs as follows.

-Asus M3A
-Phenom 9500
-4GB Kingston HyperX 800
-Radeon 3850 512MB
-2X Segate 500GB SATA NCQ drives
-Vista Ultimate X64
-Antec 550 Watt Server Power supply (more than adequate for my config)

I have been building systems upwards of 18 years and at stock this thing would just randomly hard freeze then reboot and fine for a few minutes or hours than either a hard freeze or blue screen with an interrupt problem (don't have exact code as I believe to have fixed the problem with my config.)

I am running the original 301 bios and found that when it froze I was mainly doing network intensive tasks. If I played a game or just did random tasks not related to anything using the Atheros NIC It would run very well.

What I did:

Since it froze when doing network tasks, i disabled the Atheros NIC and the system was 100% stable running PRime, everest and many other benchmarks and never one problem.

When I re-enabled the Atheros NIC the system became very unstable and hard locked frequently or blue screen with an expected interrupt error. Since this happens with the NIC enabled, I decided I would tear apart the settings in the drivers and found two setting that made me go hummmmm:

- Interrupt Moderation
- Max Interrupt

I disabled Interrupt moderation and flow control 5 days ago and have not had a single crash, freeze or any irregularities with the system what so ever. I can reproduce this however by turning those NIC settings back on at any given time.

I think many are looking at the Phenom as the point of failure when it could very well be the NIC causing the problem.

Last night I decided I would do a fresh install with the following settings

-Plug and Play OS - Yes
-Cool and Quiet - Yes (although system power setting set to max performance in Vista and always on for XP)
-Manually set RAM to 800 as it defaulted to 667 with auto enabled.

I did not even come close to putting the ASUS CD in as I don't want that ATK ACPI driver installed which it does without asking upon CD insertion and I don't auto update so I can choose not to let windows install that POS from windows update.

I downloaded the latest Atheros driver and manually installed making the changes I listed above and the system is running nicely.

I have tried the other bios that have the TLB fix but freezing was worse than with the 301 bios. I may try them again since I think it is a NIC problem and at least for my config it seems to have rectified the issue.

Since I don't have the TLB fix it is running full speed not at NB 1800Mhz and with the NIC changes I made seems 100% stable so far. I will report if anything changes

Hope this helps somebody.
 01/27/2008 12:58 AM

Author Icon
dkrule

thx for the tips.
I make some changes according to your config. But my PC mostly cause problems while i was playing off-line game (so i'm not sure the NIC is responsible) and i've never experience those crash/freeze while I was using window.
The performance during gameplay are worse and noticable compare with a weaker PC in every possible way.
I tried the 3dmark benchmark and i got only gaming grapic 5-11 framerate/sec

Edited: 01/27/2008 at 01:09 AM by dkrule
 01/27/2008 04:57 AM

Author Icon
mabran

Update on my rig.

I was benching for stability not for speed at that time. I noticed with my 3850 my performance was not up to snuff against the 1900xt I replaced.

I decided to to eliminate the NIC permananetly and put in my Intel Pro1000MT adapter and all I can say is that Atheros NIC is (with my config) the cause of it all.

I noticed the Atheros was sharing IRQ's with 3 different devices (HDaudio, USB and Enhanced USB) where the Intel get's it's own. Normally sharing is not an issue in todays hardware but something tells me this ATheros is either a POS or has very poor support at this time in bios and drivers (I place my bet here)

Upon disabling the Atheros NIC in Bios and installing the intel NIC. No more hangups at boot time, and shows markedly better performance across the board.

I have had 4 of these M3A boards now and all exhibit the same issue. So I am placing my bet that it is crappy bios not 4 bad NIC controllers.

Why Asus shipped it like this is beyond me. Will update as I find out more and check back in a couple days with positive or negetive results.
 01/27/2008 10:55 PM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

Guys, it is an absolute must that Phenom VID is set to 1.25v
If not you will have crashes and hard lockups.

You can raise the voltage from there if you wish but VID must be set to 1.25.

We have spent a lot of time sorting this out and the VID appears to be the key.

dkrule, your cpuz shots show 1.216, I don't know if you are getting voltage droop (Asus usually do) if you are then raise your cpu voltage so it's at 1.25 minimum.
 01/28/2008 03:09 AM

Author Icon
dkrule

Originally posted by: Aussie FX

dkrule, your cpuz shots show 1.216, I don't know if you are getting voltage droop (Asus usually do) if you are then raise your cpu voltage so it's at 1.25 minimum.

OMG, i can't believe it , Thank you so much, my games have stopped crashing.
 01/28/2008 08:30 AM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

No probs.

Happy gaming. You should find that your Phenom is a good improvement.

Post back and let us know your thoughts.

Edited: 01/28/2008 at 08:33 AM by Aussie FX
 01/28/2008 09:13 AM

Author Icon
flipmix

hey guys how do i increase my Phenom VID??? im like super noob.... right now its set at 1.248 so it says
thx thx
 01/28/2008 09:23 AM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

Originally posted by: flipmix

hey guys how do i increase my Phenom VID??? im like super noob.... right now its set at 1.248 so it says

thx thx

flipmix.

Do it through your bios.

Just go to the cpu tab and set cpu vid to 1.25 or it might just be labelled cpu voltage.
If you are having crashes make sure it isn't set to auto.

Are you having crashing issues?

Also what motherboard are you using?
 01/28/2008 09:40 AM

Author Icon
flipmix

thx thx

flipmix.

Do it through your bios.

Just go to the cpu tab and set cpu vid to 1.25 or it might just be labelled cpu voltage.

cheers i just set my processor voltage and processor nb voltage to 1.2500v

im using the m3a mb too and same cpu phenom 9500 now im ganna test it out

hummmm if it still crashes can i still increase the voltage a little more?
in cpu-z it still says 1.248
 01/28/2008 09:42 AM

Author Icon
flipmix

also cpu fan warning speed is set to 800 but that doesn't really do anything right?
 01/28/2008 09:44 AM

Author Icon
dkrule

I have to use the AMD OverDrive tool to increase the vid to 1.25v . Just google the name, then change it from novice mode to advance mode in preferences (read the guide---important)

As I check the bios (601), it shows the cpu vid range from 0.8xx-0.9xx in both standard & auto mode. The manual show up a bunch of complicated other settings that i have no idea and don't want to mess with.

I have to redo the process of increase the vid to 1.25 (from 1.2) everytime i boot up my PC however, as i don't know how to make the setting become default.
 01/28/2008 09:54 AM

Author Icon
flipmix

and ye btw everytime i play pro street or anything other newer games it does crash... all around 5-10minz or less
 01/28/2008 10:01 AM

Author Icon
flipmix

yepz just downloaded AMD OverDrive and it says under processor voltage 1.25v
core multiplier 11.00 x and nb multiplier 9.00 x
 01/28/2008 12:28 PM

Author Icon
mabran

I will try and force 1.25 in the bios this evening. I did notice fluctuations or droop as you say so I will give it a try.

Although since disabling the Internal NIC it has been much better stability wise. I'll try the voltage and re-enable the Atheros and see what happens.
 01/28/2008 03:53 PM

Author Icon
AnakinVaderWalker

Aussie FX: Holy smokes! Thanks for the VID tip! I'm going to force mine to 1.25 when I get home, see if it stablizes my overclocking. My voltage fluctuates between 1.232 - 1.248.

dkrule: Back to business, er gaming, eh bud? I seem to recall AOD 2.0.1.4 (beta) has a setting to 'start AOD on windows start-up'. Maybe this is how you get your VID to stick to 1.25 between reboots.
EDIT: Before I forget, in AOD 2.0.1.4 there is a circle in the top-right of the header graphic, this is where you toggle the TLB patch on/off. When the circle is yellow or red, the TLB patch is disabled, apparently.

mabran: I believe the Atheros is still an issue on the M3A, you are better off disabling it and using a pci ethernet card until it's resolved.

Sweet! Awesome community!

-------------------------
AMD Phenom 9600 B2 - 2.48 GHz - 1.25V - 43C hot idle
Asus M3A - AMD 770 - 216 MHz ref. clock
Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB - 575 MHz - 2.25V
Sapphire HD3870 - 815/1176 MHz
24" Samsung 245bw (Crap, don't buy Samsung!)
--- Building an AM3 Dragon ---
Lian Li PC-B25 (blue ring)
Corsair TX750W

Edited: 01/28/2008 at 07:22 PM by AnakinVaderWalker
 01/28/2008 11:47 PM

Author Icon
dkrule

Originally posted by: AnakinVaderWalker

dkrule: Back to business, er gaming, eh bud? I seem to recall AOD 2.0.1.4 (beta) has a setting to 'start AOD on windows start-up'. Maybe this is how you get your VID to stick to 1.25 between reboots.

EDIT: Before I forget, in AOD 2.0.1.4 there is a circle in the top-right of the header graphic, this is where you toggle the TLB patch on/off. When the circle is yellow or red, the TLB patch is disabled, apparently.

Sweet! Awesome community!

Yes, thx for the tip. I just tried to disable it but the pc become unstable so i have to turn it back on Y_Y
 01/29/2008 01:20 AM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

dkrule, is your memory ganged or in unganged mode?

Unganged will give slightly better performance but ganged is more stable.
 01/29/2008 01:24 AM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

thx thx

flipmix.

Do it through your bios.

cheers i just set my processor voltage and processor nb voltage to 1.2500v

im using the m3a mb too and same cpu phenom 9500 now im ganna test it out

hummmm if it still crashes can i still increase the voltage a little more?

in cpu-z it still says 1.248

I use a Gigabyte board (GA-MA790FX-DQ6) not your Asus so I'm not familiar with your bios but it shouldn't be too different.
There should be 2 areas for cpu voltages, one should say cpu vid and the other should say special voltage or something similar, it will be on the next line anyway. So set your VID to 1.25 and then use the other control to raise the voltage from there. You should only need to go above 1.25 if you're overclocking.
BEWARE, raising your voltage will also raise the temperature so keep an eye on it.
GL

Edited: 01/29/2008 at 01:34 AM by Aussie FX
 01/29/2008 09:09 PM

Author Icon
mabran

Stumbled onto this link that opens up a whole slew of bios options on the M3A like unganged mode and such. I am running the 601 betas

http://www.xtremesystems.org/f....php?t=171582&page=10

Since it has been very unstable for me I figured I will get this thing working yet (or throw it through a wall)

There are many settings hidden that are revealed by hitting F4 while in the bios

So far it has increased my stability incredibly
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information