Topic Title: For those who are having Phenom crashes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/28/2008 08:50 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/30/2008 11:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Aussie FX

I will try to answe all your questions at once.

Firstly get onto Asus and get them to get you a new bios...and quick. Sorry to say but this is why I don't like Asus, their support is up the creek.
This cpu needs the correct voltage to run and they aren't making it available that's why the crashing is happening.

AMD won't post drivers for Vista as they are embedded, so they are already on your system.

You can't change anything with cpuz, I meant just use it to see what the voltage reports, as bios is notoriously wrong.

Be careful using Overdrive because it is known to lockup sometimes. It's a great piece of software that's in it's early days. I use it all the time but be aware it can lock/reboot your system. Some motherboards handle it better than others. It will get better.

I said above that this isn't a bios issue, I will blame Asus here, the microcode for the cpu is fine, Asus just aren't giving you enough options and the ones they do give don't seem to be working properly.
I can't tell you guys what you should do with your boards but I would certainly be hitting Asus support and asking for updates and outlining your problems especially in regard to cpu volts.
 01/30/2008 11:55 PM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

Originally posted by: Raiderman

Originally posted by: Aussie FX

That is not the problem....Gigabyte DS5 has the voltage set at 1.25.

where is the f4b bios? I checked last night and didnt see anything.

F4B

">http://images.anandtec.../re......rar

As usual. At your own risk.

Hey Aussie thanks for the link, but it is for the DQ6, and I own the DS5. I will flash a beta bios, but not one that wasnt meant for my board

Raiderman, I was under the impression that DQ6 and DS5 were using the same bios. See if you can find anything on it.
Don't use it if you aren't sure because it will kill the backup bios if it's not compatible.
 01/31/2008 05:11 AM

Author Icon
welsh al

Thanks, I'll try Asus now.

EDIT

No reply from Asus but as I have run out of options, I've tried a beta BIOS.

0601 has crashed with standard CPU voltages and with it set to 1.25, but there's a new oftion of 1.265 and that's where she is now and has been for a couple of hours.

There are sooooooooo many BIOS options for Hyperthreading and NB/SB and DRAM timings and it's going to take a while to get to know them, but it might just be that the increased voltage is the answer.

I'll leave her on overnight and report back.

T'ra.

-------------------------
Phenom 9600
Asus M3A
Asus ATi HD3870
4gb Patriot PC-2 6400
Samsung Spinpoint 400gb SATA
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.

Edited: 01/31/2008 at 07:58 PM by welsh al
 02/01/2008 05:40 AM

Author Icon
welsh al

Forgive the double post, but I think I'm on the right track.

I updated the BIOS to 0601 and although it hiccuped a couple of times, she's been up now for almost 12 hours. That's nothing in the grand scheme of things, but 10 hours longer than the previous record.

It would seem that if anyone wants the accolade 'The Man', they're going to have to fight Aussie FX for it...

Phenom 9600
Asus M3A
Asus ATi HD3870
4gb Patriot PC-2 6400

Edited: 02/01/2008 at 07:46 AM by welsh al
 02/01/2008 09:32 AM

Author Icon
mabran

What is the default voltage for the NB. I have CPU set to 1.25 (actually fluctuates between 1.248 and 1.264).

I set the NB to 1.25 as well but since I can't find a reference for it I am assuming it's the same as the CPU and has been running for 24 hours with it at that setting crash free. Should it be higher or lower is my question to anybody that knows.
 02/01/2008 02:03 PM

Author Icon
welsh al

I don't know I'm afraid, I've set them both to Auto in the hope that they fluctuate accordingly.

Phenom 9600
Asus M3A
Asus ATi HD3870
4gb Patriot PC-2 6400
 02/03/2008 01:58 AM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

Yeah keep it at 1.25v and it will be fine.

Our overclocking experiences are showing there isn't much point in overvolting it to get it to run nicely above 2000mhz. Unfortunately imc speed is still a problem.
if you keep it at or under 2000 it will be stable. 1800 is stock.
 02/05/2008 02:08 PM

Author Icon
vityaz

to AUSSIE FX:
ive recently purchased m3a mb,phenom9600,4gb ocz platinum 800 mhz,his 3850 iceq turbo,500 gb seagate 32mb,vista home premium.
i assembled the system at a reputable computer store,they had to instal vista 4 time before the comp worked because it was freezing on boot.when i took the comp home i saw that the specs of the 9600 phenom at 1.88 ghz instead of the 2.3 ghz.
i tried lot of things through bios at the end i got the system to recognise the phenom by switching on and off with reboot the COOL AND QUIET OPTION.

i have not run anygames yet or 3d mark 06,but the system feels slow.it litrely takes 1.45 minute for vista to boot.is my cpu defected?did anybody have issues with phenom's showing at 1.88 ghz?
a reply would be greatly appreciated
 02/05/2008 05:13 PM

Author Icon
Outkast

I had the same problem... the only way vista will see the chip as 2.3ghz is to turn cool and quit on.... as for booting and stuff my system doesn't seem slow at all... I am running the M3A with the 9600 2.3ghz, 2gb ocz plantinum 800mhz ram, 500 segate 32mb hardrive and a evga 8800gt with windows vista home prem.

Now on to my question. I am looking at AMD OverDrive just for some reference and it's telling me that my PCIe speed target is 100mhz but the current speed it says is 0mhz. Why is that? is there a way to fix it?

Thanks

Edited: 02/05/2008 at 06:37 PM by Outkast
 02/06/2008 02:36 AM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

Vityaz, a slow vista load is probably more of an issue with the operating system itself (bloat) than the cpu.
The best way to check your systems speed is to run a couple of benchmarks.
The easiest one to run would be super pi. It's not really a benchmark but it will give us an indication of how well things are going.
http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/
Download this and run it for me using the 1m option. You should have a reading that is slightly lower than 35secs.

My impression is that your system is ok if it's just windows loading slowly.

Anyway run super pi and get back to me.
 02/06/2008 03:02 AM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

Outkast, I think AOD is giving you an incorrect reading.
It's a great little app but it's still in it's early development.

If you are getting normal 3dmark scores and/or your gaming is ok then it will be running at full speed. 3D graphics would pretty much stop if it was running at too lower speed.

Check your bios if it's running at 100mhz there then that will be the correct reading.
 02/11/2008 05:03 PM

Author Icon
Outkast

This is a very strang one. So I was having problems with the system freezing and rebooting for no reason. So going through here found some ideas. But still no go, I was trying everything... then it was a miracle... I updated my M3A to the lastest bios (although it is beta), left everything at auto except the voltage on my RAM (which is OCZ platinum 800 mhz dual channel) which I set at 2.2. Since then I have been running problem free for the last 36 hours. (I ran some bench marks like 3dmark and stuff and had no problems.... all this is so weird but hey who can complain)
 02/12/2008 12:41 AM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

I think there were problems with Asus cpu voltage settings in their bios.
Some were posting that when they raised the vid in bios, it actually decreased it.
Hopefully they have it sorted now.
 02/12/2008 01:42 AM

Author Icon
mabran

I think there were problems with Asus cpu voltage settings in their bios.

Some were posting that when they raised the vid in bios, it actually decreased it.

Hopefully they have it sorted now.

Nope the 601 still does the same thing. if you select 1.25 it reads 1.248 to 1.264 range. and other selection actually lowers the voltage but every 10 increments (1.25, 1.35, 1.45 etc.......) it reads 1.248 to 1.264. The voltage with an X2 actually changes accordingly so it has to be something with the way the bios is recognizing the phenom.

One day they will get it worked out or maybe they are hoping we all lose interest. I'll bet the latter is true.
 02/12/2008 06:40 AM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

Dual planes will be the issue with Phenom.

One day they will get it worked out or maybe they are hoping we all lose interest. I'll bet the latter is true.
I bet the latter is right too. It amazes me that Asus sells so much gear at inflated prices when they treat users like this...
 02/12/2008 12:48 PM

Author Icon
mabran

Dual planes will be the issue with Phenom.

I bet the latter is right too. It amazes me that Asus sells so much gear at inflated prices when they treat users like this...

Well I'm definately not buying another asus anytime soon and am salvaging the good out of it by running 32 bit and will set it up as a server (my old file server is a dual Opteron 244 (original) and the MSI board is starting to blow caps so it's time to replace.

Also why I think it's Vista and bios is that I can run 64 bit server or XP just fine without issue. So I'll load up Server 03 and replace my old file/web/FTP with this and see how it goes. It's just 64 bit vista that gives me grief.
 02/13/2008 06:28 AM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

I have no idea then.

I was thinking it might be drivers too as 64bit needs signed drivers but if it's happening on x64 Vista only.......... got me stuffed.

Vista has some nice debugging tools, I will have a look and get back to you if I find anything.
 02/15/2008 09:39 PM

Author Icon
LSDouglas

Hey i just read this thread and i think i can co relate to the problem, i already have a post explaining everything that happens to me
http://forums.amd.com/forum/me...did=90784&startpage=1

any way i's using cool n quiet and under CPU-z 1.43 it gives me 1.040 and 1.248 v, so does that mean my mobo is undervolting and could this be the reason my system freezes??? Should i wait for a new BIOS revision from ASUS or is my mobo broken or whatever?!

my rig:
ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe,
AMD Phenom 9600 2.3 Ghz, @stock setting
2x1GB PQI DDR2 667
ASUS GF 8800GTS 640
Audigy 2.
 02/16/2008 02:55 AM

Author Icon
BlackPanther26

I'm trying an RMA on my Phenom becuase I got tired of it and almost through it out the window. lol. But I don't think that is the problem with mine becuase I get the secendary processor BSOD. So I'm going to sendit to the egg tomorrow.

[url=http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=364909][/url]
 02/16/2008 04:10 AM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

LS I was looking through your other thread.
Coolnquiet shouldn't be a problem, it seems to be working ok. The lower voltage works because it's only using a 5x muti. It wouldn't hurt to turn it off and see what happens. You can enable it later.

There are a few things causing these crashes and voltage is only one of the symptoms.
After looking through your posts I would certainly try to get hold of some other ram to try. Incompatible ram has certainly been known to crash phenom systems.

Also at this point in time don't worry if AOD is crashing your system. It's a complex piece of software in it's early stages. If that's the only thing that is crahing yours or anyone elses systems take no notice don't use it until a new version comes out.

Keep us informed with how you get on with your ram.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information