Topic Title: For those who are having Phenom crashes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/28/2008 08:50 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/23/2008 11:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mabran

Originally posted by: LSDouglas

I just received a mail from asus concerning my problem, and they told me to take my battery out, put it in backward for 30sec and put back in

proper, than load bios defaults, and take out my PCI Audigy2, which I did a few days ago TO NO AVAIL. I just received my first BSOD after which my system rebooted. I was in the middle of a deep scan with BItDefender I just installed.

I don't know what to do any more.... Can an insufficient PSU cause this, I have a 550w Deluxe....

Is it my RAM??? I know my ram isn't certified with ASUS or AMD, but can it cause system freezes and BSOD??? PQI DDR2 667 2x1GB.

------------------------------------

Phenom 9600

ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe

2GB DDR2 667

8800 GTS 640

Maxtor 200GB

Having been through the gamut of a total of 4 different brands of AM2+ boards from Gigabyte, MSI, ECS and ASUS of which I tried 4 different M3A boards, I have always contended it is a bios issue as the Phenom works perfectly fine on the other brands and shoddy on the ASUS.

If ASUS was some startup company I can forgive the poor bios but they are a top tier providor of boards so it's inexcusable for them to have these problems at this point.

My first board was the M3A of which I purchased the RAM that was said to work with it in the manual. Every OS I threw at it was fine and dandy except for VISTA x64. I run 4GB ram (4x1GB) which I have been running fine for a while using Vista x64 in my old 939 4200 x2 based machine and my old 940 dual Opteron 244 rig.

As of last thursday the M3A is no more as I returned all 4 for a refund and have kept the MSI and ECS (suprising) Both of these boards have run flawlessly from the first build never giving a lick of trouble no matter what was thrown at it. People can say ECS is cheap all day long but of the 40 or so systems I have built over the past 3 years using them have been the only ones not to have broken down to this day. They may not overclock but they are stable at stock settings.

me personally have used MSI exclusively for the past 5 years in my own rigs and the M3A was the first non-MSI board I have purchased in some time for myself as I figured I would try something different and maybe ASUS quality has gotten better over the years and I could not have been more wrong.

ASUS you have lost me as a customer is all I can say. I gave you another chance and you failed horribly.

People can call me many things but not being thourogh is not one of them. I tested almost avery AM2+ board I could get my hands on after I had so many problems with the M3A as I build systems I want to make sure they don't come back because of quality issues as I have seen with the M3A.

All I can say is that if you want a phenom don't buy an ASUS board to run it on. I may sound frustrated and rightfully so and I'm sure there are a few that are running fine on an ASUS board but from my personal experience with the ASUS AM2+ boards I find it very hard to recommend them to anybody.
 02/24/2008 04:26 AM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

Yeah I agree, where their reputation comes from I'm not too sure.

Their last few highend boards have been a shambles too. (Crosshair, striker, striker extreme etc,etc.)
***** the Crosshair wouldn't even support Vista.

Anyway, that 64bit issue has still got me dumbfounded.
Are you having that problem with the MSI?

Talking about MSI, it looks like they might have issued their last bios for a while K9A2.
 02/24/2008 04:28 AM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

Lsdouglas. If your ram isn't on the list then I would try to get hold of some that is.

Make sure you can try it before you buy because it might not be the only problem.
 02/24/2008 08:00 PM

Author Icon
mabran

Originally posted by: Aussie FX

Yeah I agree, where their reputation comes from I'm not too sure.

Their last few highend boards have been a shambles too. (Crosshair, striker, striker extreme etc,etc.)

***** the Crosshair wouldn't even support Vista.

Anyway, that 64bit issue has still got me dumbfounded.

Are you having that problem with the MSI?

Talking about MSI, it looks like they might have issued their last bios for a while K9A2.

Not had one problem with the MSI with any OS I have thrown at it 64 or 32 bit. It just runs which is what I expect a quality product to do. I had some gotchas with the Gigabyte not reading my RAM correctly but I manually set the timings and life was good.

The 64 bit issue had me dumbfounded too which is why I ditched those boards in favor of a company that wants to make a working product that doesn't make one jump through hoops to make it work or rely on beta bios for a stable product as beta is very seldom stable.

I'm sorry to sound so angry about it as I should be happy I have 2 stable systems now and got rid of the annoyances. I just had to get the last of it out of my system.
 02/25/2008 08:13 PM

Author Icon
murdock

Ok... I just got my proc back from AMD (nothing wrong with it...) threw it in the board, reset bios to default settings and at stock settings, completely stable (2 hrs in, we'll see). However, as soon as I even attempt to raise the multi to 12x, it'll post but bsod right after login...

This is the first system I've built myself and I've obviously never oc'd before but it seems like as soon as you change from auto settings to manual in the bios the system gets real unstable. I base this on going through the bios and configuring everything manually to what should be the same settings as "auto." But doing this causes the system to BSOD after 20-30 minutes of use.

Has anyone else seen this?

Anyway, overall I'm happy since the proc is stable at default speeds, I at least feel like I've gotten what I paid for. That said, I'd like to experiment a little with oc'ing but I'm getting nowhere...

-------------------------
Phenom 9600 Black Edition
Asus M3A32 MVP Deluxe Wifi-AP
ATI FireGL 7200
Ultra Chilltec Thermo Electric Cooler
8 gbs Corsair Dual Channel DDR2
EPS 1000 Watt Power Supply
2 500 gb WD SATA 7200 16 mb HD's
Lite-On 4x Blu-Ray Drive
Lite-On DVD-RW Lightscribe Drive
Vista Ultimate 64
 02/26/2008 04:22 PM

Author Icon
inthedoghouse

To All you kind hearted gentile men. I have an asus M3A mother board and an Amd Phenom 9500. Using Windows Vista X64 nothing would work. I installed Xp Professional X64 and everything works perfect. No problems at all. The motherboard and processor are perking right along. The problems you are having are Vista X64 Problems not the motherboard or processor.
 03/02/2008 08:12 AM

Author Icon
LSDouglas

Well i apreciate every line of thread u guys wrote but my fact stays, this is the third ASUS board im running, and only my first one was worth any, using s939. s940 ASUS did a terible job. My problem is that in Macedonia im probably one of a handfull of people running AM2+ boards, cuz i had to wait a month just get this one in the country. We have a smaller market and Intel is all over the higher end, AMD holds the x2 market, and ASUS tends to be all over the place, with only a single vendor retailing MSI products. Same stands for Gigabyte and till a few years a go Gainward (no more), and one retailer running Abit. So guess till i get more money, im stuck with what i have. First thing to go will be the RAM, CPU cooler (going for CoolerMaster Hyper TX-AMD build), and a better PSU, something in the range of 620-650w.

FInaly, i really want to get an old Voodoo2 3dfx card for some older titles, and i don't care what ppl say, im never going back to a integrated soundmax, AC'97, Realtec whatever audio card, i though my Audigy2 might have been causing the conflicts, but the sound degradation i get is too noticable, expecialy on my Logitech Z5500 soround.

I guess my solution to the problem will have to be, say bye bye to benchmarks till ASUS developes a consience for customers (im a VIP on their list just to ad) and release a BIOS worth something.
 03/02/2008 01:35 PM

Author Icon
AnakinVaderWalker

Originally posted by: inthedoghouse

To All you kind hearted gentile men. I have an asus M3A mother board and an Amd Phenom 9500. Using Windows Vista X64 nothing would work. I installed Xp Professional X64 and everything works perfect. No problems at all. The motherboard and processor are perking right along. The problems you are having are Vista X64 Problems not the motherboard or processor.

Looks like a known problem. Vista needs an update.

http://forums.amd.com/forum/me...TMP=Linear&#lastunread

AMD Phenom 9600 B2 - 2.48 GHz - 1.25V - 43C hot idle
Asus M3A - AMD 770 - 216 MHz ref. clock
Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB - 575 MHz - 2.25V
Sapphire HD3870 - 815/1176 MHz
24" Samsung 245bw (Crap, don't buy Samsung!)
--- Building an AM3 Dragon ---
Lian Li PC-B25 (blue ring)
Corsair TX750W

Edited: 03/02/2008 at 01:36 PM by AnakinVaderWalker
 03/05/2008 06:00 AM

Author Icon
Aussie FX

There appears to be some random issues with x64.
I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 and I can get my 9500 to 2550 or 233htt without a problem on stock volts but I can't get 1mhz more, even if I throw 1.5v at the cpu. Mabran was the 1st here to notice it. ATM it is very random, some are having issues with Vista x64 some with XP x64 and some x64 linux distros too. I know of other guys who can hit 2.7ghz with their Phenoms using XP x32 yet can't boot at 2.4 with x64. So there is something going on here that lots of guys are reporting, no one has got to the bottom of it yet, so if you are having problems and running x64 it would be a good idea to run 32bit for now. Going to x32 isn't going to be a cure all as most crashes here are hardware related but this is worht keeping in mind.
I was one of the first to get a retail Phenom and we noticed within a week that x64 wasn't overclocking as high as 32bit but we thought that was a Vista vs XP thing, it is not, you certainly won't clock as high on x64.
Anyway hold tight there are a lot of people looking into this now.
And don't worry it is not a problem with the processor.
 03/24/2008 04:04 AM

Author Icon
rjm

But it is though, isn't it? I mean, if Vista 64 runs perfectly fine with an Althon X2, yet crashes miserably when that X2 is substituted with a Phenom, then you kinda have to come to the conclusion that the Phenom is the cause, not the OS.

(Besides, the problem seems to crop up in Linux too, just in a different guise)

The Phenom, or the HT3 somewhere, or the voltage regulation on the mobo. I don't know where exactly the problem is, but it behaves like a "hook" that certain situations get caught on: enabling the 64 bit extensions, and using them, seems to catch on that hook more often, 32 bit mode much less so.

Whatever, its AMD's responsibility to get the Phenom platform working, not Microsoft's.
 03/24/2008 12:10 PM

Author Icon
mabran

Originally posted by: rjm

But it is though, isn't it? I mean, if Vista 64 runs perfectly fine with an Althon X2, yet crashes miserably when that X2 is substituted with a Phenom, then you kinda have to come to the conclusion that the Phenom is the cause, not the OS.

(Besides, the problem seems to crop up in Linux too, just in a different guise)

The Phenom, or the HT3 somewhere, or the voltage regulation on the mobo. I don't know where exactly the problem is, but it behaves like a "hook" that certain situations get caught on: enabling the 64 bit extensions, and using them, seems to catch on that hook more often, 32 bit mode much less so.

Whatever, its AMD's responsibility to get the Phenom platform working, not Microsoft's.

It's not AMD's issue for poor bios and that is up to the board manufacturers and right now some are better than others.

Motherboards are a cut throat market and other than the chipset AMD has no control on a the manufacturers do with the bios to differentiate themselves from the competition.

The phenom is designed to a spec and if the mobo vendors fail to meet the spec I fail to see how it is AMD's fault. Voltage drop is not the phenoms fault it is the motherboard implementation or bios configuration.

Other than the M3A I have not had issue one with my phenoms and running reliably with 32 or 64 bit operating systems. I have 32bit vista ultimate running 24/7 on one and 64 bit ultimate on the other since I built these systems over a month ago. One is on an MSI the other on an ECS.

ASUS is by far the worst when it comes to voltage drop and unless one is running crossfire or SLI a 550 watt supply is overkill for most setups.

It reminds me of the days when everything works fine than somebody installs a creative labs sound card than all things go to heck and they blame everything BUT the sound card they just installed.

my one machine has been used to encode my DVD collection to WMV preserving 5.1 for media center and has been getting abused since it was built. I have the TLB fix disabled and use the crystal CPUID patch so windows doesn't enable it and so far not one BSOD or random hang requiring a reboot and this is on a cheapo ECS a770m.

Edited: 03/24/2008 at 12:15 PM by mabran
 03/26/2008 01:18 PM

Author Icon
Alteran Ancient

Normally, my voltage on CPU-Z reads 1.264, but I sometimes see it fluctuate dow to 1.248 volts. I don't know why. I've now change my BIOS firmware to 0702 on my M3A board.
 04/10/2008 06:29 PM

Author Icon
LSDouglas

Could any one tell me if Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe will support AMD upcoming Deneb CPUs?
 05/13/2008 12:22 PM

Author Icon
ChristianJ

Originally posted by: Aussie FX

[...]

Phenoms must have their VID set to 1.25v at a minimum
[...]

Hmm..but wouldn't that mean disabling the Phenom's ability to downclock? It would constantly be running at full speed if I manually change the voltage, no?

ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe WiFi (BIOS 1002) w. AMD Phenom 9750
XFX 8800 GTS
4x1 GB Kingston HyperX 1066 RAM (2.2v)
1x Seagate 7200.10 160GB SATA2
1x Samsung 250GB SATA2
Gigabyte Odin 550W PSU
Lian Li PC-7 SE-B III
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information