AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Is it possible to buy a laptop motherboard/cpu and use it as a desktop?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/15/2009 08:21 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/15/2009 08:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zicoz

Ok, this might not be the correct place for this thread, but it was the closest I found. I'm dabbling a bit with HTPCs, and I'm trying to make mine as small as possible. Sure, mITX is ok, but it doesn't reduce the hight of the box. So what I'm wondering is if it's possible to buy a motherboard and CPU for a laptop and use it as a desktop.

I find sites such as this:

http://www.laptoppartwholesale.com/

But I can't seem to figgure out what motherboards are good enough for this project. The minimum I want is a Neo-platform, but a Mobility Radeon HD4xxx would be great aswell.

Or am I forced to buy a complete laptop if I want to do a project such as this?
 08/19/2009 01:13 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

I don't see why not, however you'd need a custom enclosure etcetera.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

08/20/2009 07:36 AM

Author Icon
zicoz

Great thank you. I'll push forward on the idea then. The enclosure is offcourse an issue, but I'll give it a shot.Think I'll first need to create the platform, and then start focusing on the enclosure.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information