Increase font size
Topic Title: SATA AHCI drivers for HP Touchsmart
Topic Summary: Looking for SATA AHCI drivers for HP Touchsmart laptop
Created On: 09/15/2009 04:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
Answer This question was answered by Heffy, on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:31 PM

Answer:
Ok, I see. Anyway, from info I found here and there, the function you were talking about is apparently not supported on newer BIOS versions...

The other solution (but be warned, severe headache probability...) would be to find the correct XP SATA drivers from the chipset's manufacturer site and integrate it to your XP Install disk. This is described in "Stand Alone Windows Installation" section (on the same page you linked to). By the way, by "processor", I guess they mean chipset, on that page... And "native-ATA", not "native-ATI"... But anyway...
Basically, it's the same procedure as installing a pre-SP1/2 XP version on a desktop PC with a SATA HDD. It's called an F6 SATA/RAID AHCI driver, because normally you need to press F6 right after booting from the CD and loading the drivers from a floppy. Except that, here, you probably won't be able to use a floppy... So you need to integrate those drivers directly in your XP installation.
Actually, if your XP version has SP1/2 integrated, this driver may not be required, since these later versions are SATA ready.

Instead of the tools they're using, I'd suggest using 7zip or winrar to extract the files from the package (depending on package, it should work).
For integrating the extracted drivers, it's easier with nlite and it'll create the bootable ISO at the end. They have nice and clear tutorials too, if you need one (look in "guides" section).

To determine what SATA controller you have, you can use Everest Ultimate.

Here's a forum topic I came across that may help you too. link
Just make sure you have exactly the same brand/model chipset before downloading anything from there. And I strongly suggest you to try your SATA controller's manufacturer site first.

Honestly, I wouldn't advise you to downgrade to XP. First, as I mentioned earlier, keep a tube of aspirin at hand - problems are to be expected: "can't find device", "process failed" messages or even BSODs...
Second, nowadays a lot of laptops are expressly designed for Vista, so even if you install it successfully, XP is not guaranteed to work correctly, if at all...

If you're still willing to try, I strongly suggest you backup your existing Vista installation with some disk/partition imaging software. Acronis has a good reputation or here are some free ones as well. If your laptop came with some recovery CD or partition, these may be a substitute to the previously mentioned method.

Well, if you still have questions, feel free to ask (and I have the feeling you'll have such).
 09/15/2009 04:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
cjreynolds

I'm trying to install XP on an HP Touchsmart tx2 netbook with an AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-82 processor. The PC came w/Vista installed, and uses a SATA drive. There is no option in BIOS to disable SATA.
 09/15/2009 05:21 PM

Author Icon
Heffy
Case Modder

Which Touchsmart tx2, exactly? there are more than 100 different models (here).

And, err... "disable SATA"? Don't think it's possible. And even if it was, that'll disable your drives, then.
 09/15/2009 05:38 PM

Author Icon
cjreynolds

I probably miss-spoke - According to HP support, in order to install XP on my PC, I need to "Disable the native-SATA in the BIOS", or download SATA drivers from the processor manufacturer. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr...c=us&docname=c00758841. I supported PC's, software, etc. up until the Win2K era, but I'm out of my element with xp, vista, and most of the technology used nowadays.

The model number is Touchsmart tx2 1274nr.

Thanks in advance,

joe
 09/15/2009 09:29 PM

Author Icon
Heffy
Case Modder

Answer Answer
Ok, I see. Anyway, from info I found here and there, the function you were talking about is apparently not supported on newer BIOS versions...

The other solution (but be warned, severe headache probability...) would be to find the correct XP SATA drivers from the chipset's manufacturer site and integrate it to your XP Install disk. This is described in "Stand Alone Windows Installation" section (on the same page you linked to). By the way, by "processor", I guess they mean chipset, on that page... And "native-ATA", not "native-ATI"... But anyway...
Basically, it's the same procedure as installing a pre-SP1/2 XP version on a desktop PC with a SATA HDD. It's called an F6 SATA/RAID AHCI driver, because normally you need to press F6 right after booting from the CD and loading the drivers from a floppy. Except that, here, you probably won't be able to use a floppy... So you need to integrate those drivers directly in your XP installation.
Actually, if your XP version has SP1/2 integrated, this driver may not be required, since these later versions are SATA ready.

Instead of the tools they're using, I'd suggest using 7zip or winrar to extract the files from the package (depending on package, it should work).
For integrating the extracted drivers, it's easier with nlite and it'll create the bootable ISO at the end. They have nice and clear tutorials too, if you need one (look in "guides" section).

To determine what SATA controller you have, you can use Everest Ultimate.

Here's a forum topic I came across that may help you too. link
Just make sure you have exactly the same brand/model chipset before downloading anything from there. And I strongly suggest you to try your SATA controller's manufacturer site first.

Honestly, I wouldn't advise you to downgrade to XP. First, as I mentioned earlier, keep a tube of aspirin at hand - problems are to be expected: "can't find device", "process failed" messages or even BSODs...
Second, nowadays a lot of laptops are expressly designed for Vista, so even if you install it successfully, XP is not guaranteed to work correctly, if at all...

If you're still willing to try, I strongly suggest you backup your existing Vista installation with some disk/partition imaging software. Acronis has a good reputation or here are some free ones as well. If your laptop came with some recovery CD or partition, these may be a substitute to the previously mentioned method.

Well, if you still have questions, feel free to ask (and I have the feeling you'll have such).
 09/16/2009 05:35 PM

Author Icon
cjreynolds

Thanks - that gave me alot to chew on. Unfortunately, I don't have much choice in the matter - I'm developing some software that doesn't work on Vista, so if I can't downgrade, playing solitaire is the only use I'll have for this laptop. I'm already backed up, so I figure I can muck things up and not turn the PC into a total boat anchor.

Like you said, I'll probably be back in touch...
 09/16/2009 08:49 PM

Author Icon
Heffy
Case Modder

If it's just for this reason, there may be a replacement solution - you could install XP on a virtual machine.

There is Microsoft's Virtual PC, VMWare and VirtualBox. I've tried Virtual PC and VB; the first one worked quite well, the second not so well (mainly shared folder and USB devices issues). Both are free, so you can give it a try, if you want. It may not be a perfect solution, but should be much easier than downgrading your main OS.

Mmmh... by the way, I forgot to link you to AMD's site for your chipset drivers. I'm quite sure it's an AMD/ATI chipset (since you have HD3200 graphics), but better check with Everest Ultimate, just in case (Couldn't find the exact model). Here's the link.
 09/16/2009 10:19 PM

Author Icon
cjreynolds

I'm back already - In the Everest report, do I need this section:

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile DualCore AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82, 2200 MHz (5.5 x 400)
Motherboard Name Hewlett-Packard HP TouchSmart tx2 Notebook PC
Motherboard Chipset AMD M780, AMD K11
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DIMM1: Hynix HYMP125S64CP8-S6 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
DIMM2: Hynix HYMP125S64CP8-S6 [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type Insyde (02/17/09)

or this section:

ATA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ TOSHIBA MK5055GSX (000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000) ]

ATA Device Properties:
Model ID TOSHIBA MK5055GSX
Serial Number 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Revision FG00
Device Type RAID

ATA Device Physical Info:
Manufacturer Toshiba
Hard Disk Name MK-5055GSX
Form Factor 2.5"
Formatted Capacity 500 GB
Disks 2
Recording Surfaces 4
Physical Dimensions 100 x 69.85 x 9.5 mm
Max. Weight 102 g
Average Rotational Latency 5.55 ms
Rotational Speed 5400 RPM
Interface SATA-II
Buffer-to-Host Data Rate 300 MB/s
Buffer Size 8 MB

ATA Device Manufacturer:
Company Name Toshiba Corp., Storage Device Division
Product Information http://www.toshiba.com/taecdpd/products/hdd.shtml

and which value am I looking for?

joe
 09/16/2009 11:52 PM

Author Icon
cjreynolds

OK - I'm brain dead - I go to the link in your last post, click AMD Chipset Drivers in the left navigation menus, and I get a page with 4 downloads:

GART Driver Only
South Bridge Driver
RAID Driver
AMD RAIDXpert for AMD 7-Series Chipsets

Is it one of these, or should I go to the AMD CPU Drivers menu?
 09/17/2009 10:02 AM

Author Icon
Heffy
Case Modder

You can get a clearer reading of your chipset model in Everest, going to Computer -> Portable Computer -> Motherboard chipset. On my laptop, it reads AMD M780G, probably the same as yours.

Should be the RAID Driver file. It contains both x86 and x64 ahci drivers.

The others listed there are:

GART - Graphics Address Relocation Table driver
Southbridge - has SATA drivers, but for installation from within windows
RAIDXpert - a utility

Download also all needed drivers for Windows XP. You'll need ATI Catalysttm 9.9 Suite, once you install XP (cross fingers) and all other drivers specific to your hardware.
 09/17/2009 02:08 PM

Author Icon
cjreynolds

When I go to Portable Computer in Everest, I see a compatibility list. But under Motherboard there's a Chipset item, and when I click that I get:

North Bridge AMD RS780M
North Bridge AMD K11 IMC
South Bridge [ TRIAL VERSION ]

and then a list of properties for North Bridge, Integrated Graphics Controller, etc.

Am I looking for two drivers, the North Bridge RS780M and K11?
 09/17/2009 08:47 PM

Author Icon
Heffy
Case Modder

It's there, where you see that compatibility list - you just need to scroll down to the bottom. Then, you should see it under Mobile PC Physical info -> Motherboard chipset.

Anyway. You just need the AHCI drivers in the first place. The other drivers I mentioned, you'll need these once you finish installing XP.

About the things you mentioned, RS780M is the chipset model and K11 is the CPU type. You don't need drivers for these, right now, these are included in the catalyst suite. Well, the CPU driver is downloadable separately, but it's not crucial (you can get it here, if needed, with the Dual Core Optimizer).
 01/05/2010 03:35 PM

Author Icon
edwinvelasquez

hey friend help me please i have a tx2-1025dx with amd processor rs780m when i try to install the xp show me an error please what is the driver sata for attach in the cd of installation of xp, help me please
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information