Increase font size
Topic Title: New Laptop, Worried about heat, battery life, and overall use
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/29/2009 09:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/29/2009 09:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Tomn7

Well, this laptop I'm looking at looks great. It comes with an AMD ZM-84 2.4 GHz Processor, 6 Gigabytes of RAM, a 500 gigabyte Hard Drive, and an ATi Radeon HD 4650 Graphics Card (1 Gigabyte of VRAM).

HP DV6 Entertainment Laptop

What I"m worried about is, the heat, and I know the battery life isn't great, and I"m not sure, but I think it comes with larger than a 6 cell battery. I read in the reviews, a 12, but I don't trust that very much.

But from the looks of it, will the heat from the Suped up GPU and CPU affect the Overall life of the laptop. I'm looking for a slight gamer, and something to last for a couple of years. My first computer is an HP Pavilion media center edition and I had it for 5 years and still very well operation and only had one burned out hard drive replaced. I'm hoping this Hp Laptop which I'm putting the same amount into may have a similar story to my old Hp.

I was hoping the AMD processor would stay nice and cool

-------------------------
Desktop Over Laptop For Life
 11/18/2009 01:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
iKai83

When it comes to heat issues it's not the CPU, but the laptop design heating up the laptops. It doesn't matter if you have a dv6 with AMD or Intel. I read a test about an Intel one, it heats up a lot if stressed - i.e. while gaming and such. But it's really cool while surfing on the web and office use.
Besides that the dv6 is rather loud, even in idle mode. Depending on where you're using it, you'll notice that quite often.
You can read the whole report here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/R...Notebook.22268.0.html
Same is to say about battery life. It wasn't brilliant with the Intel CPU as well. It's about the rather bad battery, but if it really comes with a 12 cell (or 8 cell), it might be a lot better. I think you can order the bigger cell battery seperately or additionally.

What I don't like about the dv6 is the touchpad. It's metallic and not roughened, which makes it harder to use. But if you're using a mouse anyway, you'll be fine I guess.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information