Increase font size
Topic Title: Mobility Radeon 9200?
Topic Summary: Bought this on eBay...
Created On: 11/29/2009 12:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/29/2009 12:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Phazed

I recently bought an ATI Radeon 9200 AGP graphics card on eBay for my desktop. Now that I have it all installed and such with the drivers that came on a CD with the card (which has ATI written on it along with the numbers 7500, 9000, 9200, 9250, 9550, 9600, X 800, X 700, X 600, X300, 9800, and 9700, and V4.2 and some chinese? characters), which came in a generic ATI Radeon Series box, it is showing up as a Mobility Radeon 9200... which, correct me if I'm wrong, is supposed to be for laptops?

Anyway, now I'm having problems with the card. It worked fine for about a month, but the other day I reformatted my hard drive for other reasons and reinstalled Windows XP as well as the drivers for this card from the CD. Suddenly, whenever I play video games that worked fine before and should have no problems running at all on this card, the screen goes black after awhile and I get various errors depending on the game that I'm playing. It's like I have outdated drivers or something... but I can't find drivers for a product that I don't even understand how it exists! Anyway, any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I've contacted the seller on eBay and am awaiting a response.

Thank you all for your time!

Oh, and here's the link to the item on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...Item&item=300344890410
 11/29/2009 04:54 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Download latest chipset drivers for your motherboard.
Download latest ATI Catalyst driver for your Radeon 9200.
Uninstall current graphics driver.

Install all MS updates for your WinXP, including .net framwork.
Install chipset drivers.
Install Catalyst.

-------------------------
 11/29/2009 05:24 AM

Author Icon
Phazed

The problem is, there are no drivers for my 9200... because it's a Mobility Radeon 9200, which only exists as a laptop card. And mine is an AGP card... which honestly doesn't make any sense at all.

I posted this in the laptop section because it's supposed to be a laptop card... which I don't know anything about by the way... but it's a desktop card. I don't know if it's some Chinese concoction or something... but it's not making any sense to me. =|
 11/29/2009 06:03 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Does it mean that the ATI Catalyst package, that you have downloaded from AMDs site and installed, brings up a Mobility Radeon for your set? Not sure the if the Radeon 9200 AGP support is included in the latest Catalyst, but I think the 8.x series yet have it. It should be described in the driver pack descriptions. Usually for a VGA driver to take correctly, support is needed through the chipset driver + AGP(GART) driver, so they need be installed as well.

Your motherboard, does it have an integrated VGA also, if so, is it an ATI based chipset? In case the VGA install has mixed up something? If it has onboard, disable it in BIOS.

11/29/2009 10:07 AM

Author Icon
Syn

Hello! This is Phazed's wife. I apologize for any confusion but he is currently asleep so I figured I would go ahead and follow up a bit.

The graphics card actually comes up on DxDiag as being a Mobility Radeon 9200, with the chip type "Mobility Radeon 9200 AGP (0x5C61)". Furthermore, my Husband did go ahead and give the graphics card a good look. It is actually a Mobility Radeon 9200 (which is a laptop graphics card) molded into a desktop graphics card. So, the package hasn't told us that the graphics card is a Mobility, but rather DxDiag and our own eyes.

Typically, I would say that this shouldn't even be working, but it did before the re-format. That being said, there must be something we're missing. We've tried installing our onboard graphics card as well as our old graphics card, thinking perhaps some driver from those carried over to allow the Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics card to work. We've even updated our Windows XP to Service Pack 3 and are continuing to do Windows Updates to see if perhaps something within those enabled this strange card to work... Unfortunately, no luck as of yet and the Updates are quickly running thin.

I don't trust myself going into the BIOS and disabling anything so I haven't taken the step you've recommended go_for. I'll have my Husband do it later (I could do it, but I'd much rather him take the chance of screwing up the BIOS than myself). I just wanted to add some extra detail to the situation and of course, answer a few of the questions you had go_for.

I know I appreciate the assistance, and I'm sure my Hubs does as well. Thanks a bunch for your replies so far! ^_^
 11/29/2009 08:25 PM

Author Icon
Phazed

Originally posted by: Syn
The graphics card actually comes up on DxDiag as being a Mobility Radeon 9200, with the chip type "Mobility Radeon 9200 AGP (0x5C61)". Furthermore, my Husband did go ahead and give the graphics card a good look. It is actually a Mobility Radeon 9200 (which is a laptop graphics card) molded into a desktop graphics card. So, the package hasn't told us that the graphics card is a Mobility, but rather DxDiag and our own eyes.

Er, I said I don't know that much about laptop graphics, and I have no idea what the card is. >_< As for what DxDiag says, I believe that is all due to what the drivers say the card is, not the computer itself. I'm going to go disable the onboard graphics via the BIOS and update once I'm done with that.
 11/30/2009 12:28 AM

Author Icon
weinter
Deprecated

Are you serious?

Hello! This is Phazed's wife. I apologize for any confusion but he is currently asleep so I figured I would go ahead and follow up a bit.

Anyway if the device id identify it as a Mobility Radeon you have to get the mobility radeon driver.
Typically as you know ATi in the past didn't bother releasing drivers for their mobility hardware and their new catalyst driver for laptop may not support the legacy hardware you have.
Therefore your best bet is to find a laptop model that carries the Mobility 9200 Radeon go to the support site and download the driver.
Alternatively Windows Driver Updates maybe able to identify the hardware and push down the driver accordingly.
You can also attempt to mod the Radeon BIOS but this is a solution not recommended as the official 9200 BIOS for desktop card may not be identical to a laptop one.

Acer Aspire 4530
AMD Turion X2 2.1GHZ RM-72 1MB L2 Cache
4GB DDR2 667MHZ
NVIDIA 9100M G
320GB WD BEKT
http://aspiregemstone.blogspot.com/
 11/30/2009 01:36 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Not sure if this is any help, but could try running GPU-Z to get some more specs from the card. otoh, it may yet need a correct driver to display correctly.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information