Increase font size
Topic Title: SSD + 2nd HDD + Win7-64 = tx1000z is still AWESOME
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/27/2010 07:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/27/2010 07:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SolnzeUSB
Deprecated

All right, gang, so 2 months ago I took the leap and got myself an SSD, installed Win7-64 and converted the optical drive into 2nd HDD for storage. It did not cost a lot of money and I think I can breeze on it all the way until AMD Fusion chips come out in a year and even until the prices settle and nice discounts begin.

Let me start with the easier part -- SSD. I got a 60GB OCZ drive from NewEgg with a $20 rebate. The prices fluctuate with a downward trend and you can find a good deal within a couple of weeks.

I chose OCZ for its speed and native TRIM support. You can look into other brands and basically get anything you can afford, because any SSD will make your system fly. After getting your new SSD to work I encourage you to tweak it to get the most space and best performance out of it. You can find tweaks on OCZ forums even if your drive is by another manufacturer. A self-made utility was made by one of the forum members which tweaks Windows, so anyone can use it. Read more about each option and what it does to fit your needs best. The file is here: http://members.westnet.com.au/...amsoft/SSDTweaker.zip

If you have access to Win7, use it. It is just better in every respect and sticking with Vista or XP is living in the past. I have Win7-64bit Ultimate edition on. Installing Windows 7 is a breeze and you do not need to format the drive. Windows 7 does it all for you and even does basic tweaking when it sees that you have an SSD. It took me about 20-25min to start using my laptop.

Now, to the harder part -- converting your optical into 2nd HDD. You will need to buy on eBay a caddy (eBay search string: "SATA 2nd HDD caddy for HP Compaq MultiBay II"). I got mine from "rexchg" of Hong Kong for $25.95 and received it in the States 12 days later.

You will have to modify it a bit. First you will need to remove a side rail with a 1-2mm notch that prevents the caddy to slide into the available space. Secondly you will need to remove the adapter connecting your DVD drive to the motherboard. You do not need to remove the whole bracket, just take out 2 screws and bend that side of the bracket to remove the adapter. Now connect the adapter to the appropriate space on your caddy and you are good to go. You will need to play with the device manager to enable/disable the drive so it does not spin, make noise and drink the juice.

The results are pretty amazing. (FYI: I have TL-64 65nm Tyler CPU with maxed out 4GB RAM plus all the cooling modifications I have mentioned elsewhere here)
Boot times are 20-25 sec, as are shut down times;
The response to opening programs is as if they are just "there";
My 60 GB is enough for my programs and media before I archive it in my 2nd HDD;
The heat produced by the processor is about the same (maybe just a bit lower);
No heat where the SSD is;
No drive noise;
Fan turns on only a bit rarer;
Flash runs the same -- hot and heavy;
Battery life is about the same;

I, as many of you here, have a love-hate relationship with my tx1000z baby. It is like an aging pet, who soils all over the place, but you still love him. These upgrades are the miracle drugs curing most of the problems and breathing new life into it just long enough so you can save some money and get a replacement as you push this one into retirement.

-------------------------
"Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners." V.I.Lenin

HP tx1000 | Touch-screen | TL-64 Tyler | 4GB RAM | SSD + HDD dual drive | 802.11n | Win7 U-64 + Vista U-64
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information