Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core stops working
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/11/2010 10:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/11/2010 10:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Sil3nceKn0ws
Lurker

I currently have:

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 1.70 GHz
-2.00 GB of RAM
-32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium
-HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook

That's all I know for right now, if more system specs are needed, I'll try to obtain them.

I'm currently having a problem where my computer freezes suddenly and continually, at least one every two minutes. This happens most when I am on the internet (Internet Explorer 8, although it would happen with any other browser. Safari completely stopped working altogether).

I recently turned on the Task Manager and looked at it the last time my computer froze. I saw that CPU Usage was down to 1-0%.
I am wondering if this means that my CPU is shutting down or stops working because it cannot handle my operating system.

If anyone knows how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. Buying a new CPU (if possible) can be considered.

PLUS: I have turned all of the visual features off to improve performance, which have not done much to improve.

EDIT: I have also noticed that every time I turn my PC off, the time and date is off. Is this the CMOS? Or BIOS? It was a while since I last took Systems Management classes...

Edited: 08/12/2010 at 09:34 PM by Sil3nceKn0ws
 08/14/2010 09:04 PM

Author Icon
panzerghost
Lurker

well its an older system,did you install win 7 yourself? do you have any problems in device manager, did you run memtest86.try running some temp benchmarks can you run longer in safe mode,have you tried cleaning exhaust fan.can you hear a fan running at all?.im just spit balling.its just too broad a problem to narrow down. Initially I would guess overheating and recommend try a cooling pad.but it might be hardware related.you could always send it to hp for service but its probably out of warranty and if they dont carry/make the parts any more they'll say they cant do anything for ya.the best advice I can give you is try to narrow it down a little maybe back everything up and format to clean version of windows.
 08/15/2010 07:38 PM

Author Icon
Sil3nceKn0ws
Lurker

Safe mode works fine, and yeah, I installed Windows 7 myself. I first installed it on one computer and then installed it on this one and now it is not a "genuine" version of Windows, so I'll have to buy another activation key.

Yes, I was also thinking something is wrong with the hardware. Did you notice I said the time and date are always off? I believe it is CMOS that maintains that, correct? Is it possible it has anything to do with this?
 09/18/2010 01:16 AM

Author Icon
francismorales
Lurker

There's a small battery running your CMOS. It could be that. If i disassemble min CQ40 and remove that battery and all power supply, it resets my clock. IE also couldn't authenticate if you go to sites with https. check that battery, it's in one of the hatches under your notebook. it's about a size of a penny and has 2 wires with a socket. it might just be that.

If not...

What error messages are you getting?
When did this start?
What changes were done when this started happening?

When you fix the battery, you'll fix the clock. if it's not disconnected, maybe it's weak or just defective. But the clock shouldn't be rebooting this unless CMOS is holding critical data that your OS is telling it keep but it couldn't because battery ain't working or connected. But that's not likely.

If it's the OS, then it could be that you downloaded updates from MS. When you do this, you're going through a verification with MS and if MS doesn't verify, then OS keeps rebooting. It should give a error message like "this is not a genuine Windows 7", or something like that.

Check CMOS battery if not reinstall Windows with a genuine one.

-------------------------
Francis Noel
 09/21/2010 07:25 PM

Author Icon
PV9685
Fanboi

Yup - replace the battery and it should fix the clock, it also may improve things since you will be able to save the proper BIOS settings.

If you have a copy of either Windows Vista or Windows 7 (as they are both the same operating system) that has been previously installed, all that you must do is call the phone number and do a manual activation. It works every time, even with OEM product keys... the only issue is when someone does something incorrectly - for example, when they ask you how many computers this is installed on.. you better say "one" or you may have problems with that key. Also, don't attempt to reactivate the old computer with the same key

If these lock-ups are random and CPU percentage is low than turning down your visual settings will not increase performance. I would suggest that you a) install a new CMOS battery (which may be just under one of the small covers on the back, or the keyboard.. if you're lucky); b) install the non-microsoft drivers for your GPU and motherboard chipset. Forexample it may be a Radeon Xpress 1150 IGP.... the driver will probably supply both the video and motherboard chipset drivers.

If something is botched up with the MS drivers it could lead to system confusion
 09/21/2010 07:31 PM

Author Icon
PV9685
Fanboi

BTW going into Event Viewer... ie: type Eventvwr.exe in Run... then look at the System log and in the "Source" column, look for "WHEA-Logger" - if for example your CPU was toast you would have reports that there are failures.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information