Increase font size
Topic Title: Please help
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/23/2010 01:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
Answer This question was answered by snackysniper, on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:49 PM

Answer:
Yep thanks for all your help!!!!1
 08/23/2010 01:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
snackysniper
Lurker

If I turn my computer on High performance the temp never gets below 70C when i have the fan vent hanging over the edge of a table and still eventually overheats. If i have the fan vent cover up like sitting on a table the temp rises and then i goes to a blue screen and shuts off. I absolutely always have to have my computer on a fan if im on high performance or it will overheat and sometimes it still does with a fan. This gets really annoying so i just leave my computer on power saver which is not what i got my computer for. The processor is a Mobile AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86(Griffin)

Can anyone tell me anyway i can stop this from happing i really want to use my computer without a fan.

The fan inside is always going full bast all the time plus the extra fan i put under it.

Please help
 08/23/2010 02:08 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

what laptop do you have?

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 08/23/2010 04:45 PM

Author Icon
SolnzeUSB
Deprecated

What are you using your laptop for if it is on at all times? And what are you doing when it BSODs? Flash, downloads, etc.?
You might need to open it up and do a thorough cleaning and possibly applying something like ArcticSilver5 on your CPU, cleaning the fan and the fins.
Also, do not forget ZM-84 and above produce enormous amounts of heat, especially when left on for long periods of time.
There are times when you just have to adapt to your machine -- get a cooling pad, a USB fan to draw out the heat, raising the back of the laptop a bit with rubber feet (from Staples) to increase air flow.

"Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners." V.I.Lenin

HP tx1000 | Touch-screen | TL-64 Tyler | 4GB RAM | SSD + HDD dual drive | 802.11n | Win7 U-64 + Vista U-64
 08/23/2010 07:58 PM

Author Icon
snackysniper
Lurker

I turn it off when I'm not using it but when it is on i like to play games WOW, CA, etc. It will overheat just sitting at the desktop doing nothing if I put it on high performance so I have to play games in power saver mode witch is slow. The fan I have sucks so I will look into a better fan and rubber feet. But I have no idea about taking my computer apart i dont even know where to start. But this should help. If I did get ArcticSilver how much would that cost and also how much would it cost to get someone to put it on for me if I dont wont to mess with it myself.
 08/24/2010 09:10 PM

Author Icon
SolnzeUSB
Deprecated

What is your laptop model and specs?
ArcticSilver5 is a couple of bucks, but be comfy taking it apart -- get the proper manual. I don't know how much for someone to do it.
Playing intensive games like WoW is never a good thing for the laptop, so be careful not to melt some parts (esp. AC jack). What is CA?
Have you tried running an updated anti-virus to see if you have something hogging your power?
Go into advanced power options (in your power plans -- battery icon) and look for "Processor power management". What are your settings there (for min, max and cooling policy)?

"Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners." V.I.Lenin

HP tx1000 | Touch-screen | TL-64 Tyler | 4GB RAM | SSD + HDD dual drive | 802.11n | Win7 U-64 + Vista U-64
 08/25/2010 01:09 PM

Author Icon
snackysniper
Lurker

Power Saver:
Min battery 5%
Min Plugged 5%
Max battery 50%
max plug 50%

High Performance
Min bat 5%
Min plug 100%
max bat 100%
max plug 100%

CA- combat arms

model: dv6z 1100
processor is a Mobile AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86(Griffin)

I dont really play games on it alot but my friend has a dv7z and leaves is on high performance and can sit it anywhere and it blows out cold air and never get above 60 degrees and mine overheats.
I just want it to be able to sit idle on high performance with out overheating
as for anti virus i have kaspersky and i run scans all the time but i have clue how to get it to tell me if something is using to much power
 08/25/2010 03:57 PM

Author Icon
SolnzeUSB
Deprecated

In high performance change min plugged to 10%. Let's see what happens.

08/25/2010 04:05 PM

Author Icon
snackysniper
Lurker

K within a 2 mins of changing to high performance the low temp was 60 and the high was 74 right now im in high preformance and it is rest in at 62 so that is a massive change right there. Im going to start up a game and post the changes during that right now.
 08/25/2010 04:23 PM

Author Icon
snackysniper
Lurker

I played for about 15 mins during game play the low was 74 and the high was 88. I have the temperature program set to warn me at 85 it go there several times and lifted the back up a little and the airflow let it cool back down but without getting something like those rubber feet you were talking about which i plan on doing it still overheats in game play. But it works in high performance mode during normal use which is amazing.
 08/25/2010 04:23 PM

Author Icon
snackysniper
Lurker

mode during normal use which is amazing.

Edited: 08/25/2010 at 05:01 PM by snackysniper
 08/25/2010 05:02 PM

Author Icon
snackysniper
Lurker

????????????????
 08/25/2010 05:12 PM

Author Icon
SolnzeUSB
Deprecated

OK, so you changed that min setting to 10% and now you can play longer? Does it BSOD on you? You should expect it to get very hot playing games, so the fact that it does is normal. As long as your laptop stays still at idle and uses minimal fanning you are OK.

08/25/2010 05:49 PM

Author Icon
snackysniper
Lurker

Answer Answer
Yep thanks for all your help!!!!1
 09/14/2010 01:32 AM

Author Icon
wcharlot
Lurker

My Dell Optiplex SX270 also overheats. What can I do? I can't even open the motherboard.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information