AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Turion x2 max operating temperature?
Topic Summary: AMD Turion x2 temperature
Created On: 09/16/2010 11:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/16/2010 11:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
letian
Lurker

Hi all, recently I bought Lenovo Thinkpad 13 EDGE laptop with a AMD Turion x2 1.6 GHz CPU, before I bought it I read some reviews considering high temperatures of this cpu so that didn't scare me much. However the temperature of my Turion CPU is about 70-80C when I'm browsing and doing some work stuff. The question is:
1. What is the maximum high temperature for it, and can it be reached when playing a heavy 3D games for a long time(like 3 or more hours)?
2. How can such high CPU temperature influence laptop stability and long worklife?
3. Should I be worried about this, and install some crazy cooling software and sensor monitors to check it's OK))?
 09/16/2010 11:50 AM

Author Icon
letian
Lurker

Jesus, just searched for "Turion temperature" here, I guess I'm not the only here who's worried about the heat, anyway, can anyone answer my 2-nd question?
 09/18/2010 12:58 AM

Author Icon
francismorales
Lurker

Warning: Doing below may void your warranty. Do this at your own risk. Seek professional help with HP unless you're willing to risk it.

I have a CQ40-310au with a AMD Turion X2 2.1GHZ RM-72 and 4GB of RAM and had the same problem. I was experiencing over 100 celcius with normal use; Microsoft outlook + Google Chrom + Mozilla + several browser tabs + skype. By the way, there's a complete documentation on these processors where it states 100 celsius is max temperature, so if you're at 80 celsius, you're safe. Furthermore, these processors have been tested to run at 115 celsius for 500 hours.

I was able to track down a PDF on safely disassembling it. I cleaned my vents and now my temp is down to 60 Celsius. I stripped my laptop down to, where i removed the heatsink to expose the aluminum fins for the vents. you'll be amazed by how much dirt is hiding compared to just exposing the fans and dusting it off. I completely removed the thermal paste with alchohol, and replaced it with Tuniq TX-2; I heard TX-4 is even better.

Further more, I downloaded AMD Fusion Mobility tool which allows me to safely lower processors clock to 1ghz/clock which even lowered my temp to 50++ celsius. I wouldn't recommend it though as i have heard changing clock speeds can lower processor life.

Basically, just stripping it down and cleaning it and replacing the thermal paste made about -20 celsius. I would recommend you have this done professionally unless you know what you're doing.

-------------------------
Francis Noel
 09/22/2010 09:33 PM

Author Icon
PV9685
Fanboi

Well - I don't know what temps under XP would be... Vista and Windows 7 use the Cool'n Quiet. However, there is a tool for XP to use it so the thing isn't just pegged at 100% clock speed all the time. Make sure your heatsink, fan, and vents are squeeky clean. It would probably be best to pull it apart to do this.

Do like what was mentioned - replace the thermal pad or tape with thermal compound. It need not be some stuff that costs $15; but, most alternatives to the original will do better than the stock junk. Staples sells Arctic silver if you want to get something locally.

Watch out if you're northbridge on the motherboard shares the CPU heatsink setup - if it uses a thick thermal pad you will NEED the pad or else you will have a gap! However, you can lightly coat the pad for slightly better thermal conductivity.

Last but not least... call it a Notebook, not a Laptop - cause if you use it on your lap, or on your bed... you will kill it from blocking the vents.

The CPU max temp is supposedly 95c or 100c... shoot for less than 70c.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information