AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Screen Flicker Issues on E-350?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/05/2011 03:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/05/2011 03:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
BryanF
Lurker

I recently got an 11-inch Fujitsu notebook with AMD E-350. I have read many articles/forums about different notebooks with similar APUs.

Now before you tell me that I need to post this to the my notebook forums, please read below.

I found out that different makes (HP/Lenovo/Asus) have screen flickering issues. In my case, a thin horizontal line on the center (1st occurrence) and last night, a horizontal line about 3 inches long on the upper right hand of my LCD monitor (2nd occurrence)You can find these through simple Google search or at Youtube. I thought my Fujitsu model is not affected, but after 1 week, I have a similar issue.

I am not saying that this is directly a CPU fault, BUT based on the information, this problem happens across different notebook brands using E-350.

Is AMD aware of this? I believe the Fusion APUs are great, but if this issue is really related on the APU, oh, it's a SERIOUS one especially that AMD has a good start on these Fusion APUs.

-------------------------
Fujitsu PH521
AMD E-350/8GB RAM
 09/21/2011 07:40 AM

Author Icon
e-350
Lurker

I also have this problem. Mostly when displaying white or light colored sites on my screen.

Asus eee 1215b 12 inch (E-350apu)
 09/24/2011 11:05 AM

Author Icon
BryanF
Lurker

Now I also encounter this when I installed Linux. The screen was on a heavy flicker (in different way from my previous experience in this notebook), when it resumed from standby with the LCD went off. It was like the on the old CRT monitors with very low refresh rates, just worse. I am hoping the AMD admins here will notice this thread.

-------------------------
Fujitsu PH521
AMD E-350/8GB RAM
 04/30/2012 11:43 AM

Author Icon
Svega
Lurker

Hi,
any updates on this?
I experience the same issue with a Toshiba laptop based on an E350. In details:

Flickering horizontal lines originating from the side of the monitor and reaching towards the center of the screen. Amount and position of the lines varies with each occurance, duration as well. These lines appear and go away after a certain amount of time.

Very similar behavior can be seen on these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdipBbRzjSc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F2H2vaROqM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA1O4wz8b20

The motherboard has been changed already to no avail. Testing with a 2nd external monitor didn't help, and I can't reproduce the issue on the main display either.
Can't reproduce the issue (tried universal stress tests, cpu-memory-vga tests, etc.), going to idle for a long period of time, dimming the screen, doing sleep/wakeup cycles, etc. The issue is very random.

System:
Toshiba C660D-16E, Windows 7 prof. 64bit, latest drivers from Toshiba website.

Based on sources around the internet the current best guess for a cause is the advanced power management, which dinamically changes the core speeds (in both CPU and GPU). Disabling these (turing off PowerPlay, setting Windows power management to maximum performance, etc.) didn't help though. Tried many different combinations of settings as well. Many other brands sharing the same hardware (E350 or E450) have the same issue, Lenovo, Asus, etc,
for example:

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/X-S...lickering/td-p/389523

Any ideas?
 07/18/2012 02:28 AM

Author Icon
mshhh
Lurker

I second you all. I got the same problem with a Samsung RV415 notebook with an E-350. This problem is surely not specific to a single notebook brand or model.

I'm running Windows 7 32-bit with the 12.7 beta Catalyst drivers (since 12.6 wouldn't even install).

It first appeared one day when I opened the lid and the computer woke up. I got something similar to what BryanF described: flickering stripes in the top right corner of the monitor, sometimes along the entire upper border up to about a half-inch down.

Then today it occurred spontaneously during normal (awake) operation. It seemingly disappeared after closing the lid and reopening it.

I'd appreciate if AMD gave us some feedback.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information